|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Klan also attacked local black __________ and school houses.
2. What did the arrangement mentioned in #153 limit? This limited _________ mobilization and organization that had happened during Reconstruction.
3. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
4. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
5. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
2. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
3. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
4. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
5. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
6. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
7. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
8. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
9. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
10. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 2
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)