|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the 1870s, a strong black __________ had been established in Virgina and organization efforts were underway.
2. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
3. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
4. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
5. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
2. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
3. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
4. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
5. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
6. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
7. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
8. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
9. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
10. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)