|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
2. In some areas where based of substantial black political activity existed, an arrangement known as ________ occurred.
3. The young white men who were attracted to the KKK were once members of the _______________.
4. By the 1870s, a strong black __________ had been established in Virgina and organization efforts were underway.
5. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,582 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)