|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
2. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
3. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
4. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
5. Although emigrations did emanate from a powerful __________-based impulse, it reveals divisions and power relations.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
2. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
3. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
4. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
5. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
6. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
7. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
8. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
9. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
10. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)