|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
2. The young white men who were attracted to the KKK were once members of the _______________.
3. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
4. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
5. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)