|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
2. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
3. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
4. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
5. ___________ in the United States shouldered the burden of industrial development.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
2. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
3. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
4. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
5. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
6. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
9. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
10. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)