|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
2. It should be noted that Klansmen did not ride without fear of _________ or of meeting resistance.
3. When the Republican Party began to attract more white voters, those voters would not support ____________.
4. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
5. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
Short Essay Questions
1. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
2. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
3. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
4. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
5. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
6. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
7. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
8. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
9. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
10. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Dred Scott case denied the rights of citizenship to all blacks, making an important contribution to the political struggles.
Part 1: Why do you think denying citizenship was important goal of some people during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it was right for the legal system to deny the rights of citizenship of blacks? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would you feel if your rights and your citizenship rights were suddenly taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)