|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
2. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
3. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
4. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
5. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
2. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
3. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
4. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
5. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
6. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
7. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
8. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
9. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
10. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)