|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
2. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
3. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
4. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
5. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
2. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
3. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
4. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
5. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
6. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
7. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
8. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
9. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
10. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)