|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
2. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
3. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
4. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
5. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
2. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
3. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
4. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
7. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
8. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
9. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
10. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
Essay Topic 3
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)