|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
2. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
3. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
4. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
5. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
2. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
3. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
4. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
5. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
6. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
7. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
8. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
9. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
10. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 3
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)