|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
2. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
3. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
4. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
5. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
2. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
3. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
4. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
7. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
8. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
9. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
10. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)