|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
2. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
3. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
4. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
5. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
2. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
3. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
4. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
5. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
6. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
7. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
8. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
9. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
10. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
Essay Topic 3
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)