|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
2. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
3. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
4. The American _________ Society, a white dominated group, settled about 11,000 African Americans in Liberia by the time of the Civil War.
5. Some black leaders, while sympathetic, were hesitant to support and to endorse ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
2. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
3. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
4. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
5. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
6. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
7. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
8. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
9. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
10. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)