|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
2. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
3. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
4. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
5. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
2. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
3. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
4. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
5. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
6. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
7. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
8. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
9. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
10. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)