|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
2. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
3. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
4. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
5. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
2. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
3. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
4. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
5. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
6. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
9. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
10. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 3
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)