|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the arrangement mentioned in #153 limit? This limited _________ mobilization and organization that had happened during Reconstruction.
2. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
3. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
4. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
5. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
Short Essay Questions
1. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
2. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
3. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
4. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
5. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
6. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
7. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
8. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
9. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
10. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Dred Scott case denied the rights of citizenship to all blacks, making an important contribution to the political struggles.
Part 1: Why do you think denying citizenship was important goal of some people during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it was right for the legal system to deny the rights of citizenship of blacks? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would you feel if your rights and your citizenship rights were suddenly taken away?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)