|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. White landowners and tenant farmers began to attend meetings of the Agricultural _______ or Farmer's Alliance in large numbers.
2. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
3. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
4. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
5. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
2. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
3. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
4. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
5. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
6. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
9. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
10. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Dred Scott case denied the rights of citizenship to all blacks, making an important contribution to the political struggles.
Part 1: Why do you think denying citizenship was important goal of some people during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it was right for the legal system to deny the rights of citizenship of blacks? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would you feel if your rights and your citizenship rights were suddenly taken away?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)