|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
2. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
3. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
4. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
5. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
2. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
3. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
4. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
7. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
8. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
9. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
10. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)