|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
2. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
3. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
4. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
5. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
2. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
3. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
4. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
5. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
6. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
7. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
8. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
9. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
10. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
Essay Topic 3
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)