|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
2. The young white men who were attracted to the KKK were once members of the _______________.
3. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
4. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
5. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
2. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
3. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
4. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
5. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
6. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
9. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
10. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)