|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
2. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
3. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
4. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
5. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
2. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
3. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
4. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
5. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
6. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
9. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
10. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)