|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
2. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
3. ___________ in the United States shouldered the burden of industrial development.
4. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
5. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
Essay Topic 1
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)