|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the arrangement mentioned in #153 limit? This limited _________ mobilization and organization that had happened during Reconstruction.
2. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
3. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
4. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
5. _________ to protect farms and plantation laborers were sometimes cut down by urban blacks and Mulattoes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
2. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
3. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
4. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
7. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
8. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
9. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
10. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)