|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
2. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
3. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
4. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
5. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)