|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
2. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
3. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
4. Although emigrations did emanate from a powerful __________-based impulse, it reveals divisions and power relations.
5. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
Essay Topic 1
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)