|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Klan also attacked local black __________ and school houses.
2. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
3. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
4. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
5. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
2. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
3. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
4. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
5. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
6. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
7. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
8. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
9. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
10. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
Essay Topic 2
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
Essay Topic 3
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)