|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
2. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
3. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
4. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
2. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
3. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
4. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
7. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
8. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
9. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
10. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)