|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
2. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
3. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
4. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
5. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
2. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
3. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
4. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
7. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
8. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)