|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
2. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
3. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
4. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
5. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
2. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
3. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
4. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
5. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
6. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
7. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
8. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
9. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
10. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)