|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
2. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
3. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
4. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
5. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
2. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
3. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
4. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
5. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
6. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
7. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
8. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
9. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
10. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
Essay Topic 3
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)