|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
2. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
3. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
4. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
2. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
3. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
4. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
5. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
6. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
7. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
8. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
9. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
10. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
Essay Topic 2
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)