|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
2. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
3. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
4. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
5. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
2. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
3. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
4. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
5. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
6. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
7. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
8. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
9. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
10. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
Essay Topic 3
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)