|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
2. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
3. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
4. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
5. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
2. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
3. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
4. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
7. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
8. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
9. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
10. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Religious organizations provided a good deal of support to those in the African American community, helping them to better mobilize.
Part 1: Why was religion such an important part of the lives of the African Americans?
Part 2: Why would religious organizations help with political movements?
Part 3: How might the religious communities support those who were running for office?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)