|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
2. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
3. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
4. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
5. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
2. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
3. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
4. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
5. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
6. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
7. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
8. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
9. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
10. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
This section contains 1,911 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)