|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
2. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
3. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
4. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
5. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
2. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
3. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
4. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
7. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
8. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
9. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
10. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)