|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
2. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
3. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
4. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
5. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
2. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
3. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
4. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
7. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
8. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
9. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
10. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
Essay Topic 2
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)