|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
2. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
3. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
4. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
5. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
2. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
3. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
4. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
5. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
6. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
7. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
8. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)