Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
5. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
2. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
3. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
4. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What was the main factor that drove the movement of the Great Northern Migration?
7. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
8. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
9. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
10. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
Essay Topic 1
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many slaves began to simply rebel against their masters, taking their freedom into their own hands.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves felt they needed to resort to violence in some cases to obtain their freedom?
Part 2: How might you have escaped your master if you wanted to be free?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been more effective to sit down and talk with a slave owner about obtaining freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Dred Scott case denied the rights of citizenship to all blacks, making an important contribution to the political struggles.
Part 1: Why do you think denying citizenship was important goal of some people during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it was right for the legal system to deny the rights of citizenship of blacks? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would you feel if your rights and your citizenship rights were suddenly taken away?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)