|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
2. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
3. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
4. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
5. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
2. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
3. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
4. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
5. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
6. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
7. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
8. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
9. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
10. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)