|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
2. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
3. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
4. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
5. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
2. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
3. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
4. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
5. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
6. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
7. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
8. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
9. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
10. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
Essay Topic 3
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)