|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
2. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
3. Freed men responded by ___________________ in large numbers and aligning themselves with the Republican Party.
4. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
5. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
2. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
3. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
4. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
5. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
6. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
7. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
8. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
9. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
10. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)