|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
5. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
2. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
3. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
4. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What was the main factor that drove the movement of the Great Northern Migration?
7. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
8. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
9. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
10. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
Essay Topic 1
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,977 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)