|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
2. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
3. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
4. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
5. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
2. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
3. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
4. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
5. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
6. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
7. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
8. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
9. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
10. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It seems that relationships between slaves seemed to affect their organization into groups which might affect social change at first.
Part 1: Why do you think the familial relationships were so important during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think certain relationships prohibited groups from forming more easily at this time?
Part 3: Do you think the way your family is connected affects the way you approach politics? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)