|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
2. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
3. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
4. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
5. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
2. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
3. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
4. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
5. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
6. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
7. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
8. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rumors began to emerge that blacks were going to start murdering whites in order to get jobs and rights.
Part 1: Why do you think people feared African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think some blacks did murder whites in order to get jobs? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think people spread so many rumors during this volatile time?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)