|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
2. Freed men responded by ___________________ in large numbers and aligning themselves with the Republican Party.
3. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
4. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
5. Black ___________ did less field labor after emancipation than they did under slavery.
Short Essay Questions
1. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
2. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
3. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
4. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
5. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
6. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
7. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
8. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
9. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
10. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even before there was a presidential election, many slaves were convinced they were going to be free soon.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves believed the rumors that they were going to be free?
Part 2: Do you think the slaves actually got their freedom because of Lincoln? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is freedom so important to the slaves at this particular time?
Essay Topic 2
Though keeping someone as a slave is certainly wrong, it is difficult to deny the many benefits of using slaves as well.
Part 1: Why do you think slave owners brought over slaves in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think society might have been had slaves never been freed?
Part 3: Do you think having a slave might have been helpful if you were a landowner back in that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)