|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
2. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
3. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
4. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
5. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
2. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
3. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
4. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
5. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
6. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
7. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
8. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
9. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
10. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ku Klux Klan developed during this time period in response to the organizations of freed African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the KKK was so successful in starting their organization?
Part 2: Do you think the KKK has a right to be organized and to demonstrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the KKK will ever be disbanded? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hahn focuses on a larger period of time in this book, hoping to seek a broad understanding of the political struggles and developments.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea to focus on such a large period of time? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Hahn might have been more effective focusing on a shorter period of time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Did you feel Hahn's book succeeded in accomplishing its overall goal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,922 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)