|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
2. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
3. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
4. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
5. Black ____________ also helped spread information and visions of the new nations as they made their way through the South.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
2. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
3. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
4. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
5. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
6. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
7. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
8. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
9. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
10. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White southerners were afraid that their land was going to be taken away from them and redistributed to the freed slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the white southerners were afraid to lose their land?
Part 2: How do you think freed slaves might have reacted if they found out that they had no land to use?
Part 3: Do you think there is a better way the land redistribution might have been handled? Why?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Dred Scott case denied the rights of citizenship to all blacks, making an important contribution to the political struggles.
Part 1: Why do you think denying citizenship was important goal of some people during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it was right for the legal system to deny the rights of citizenship of blacks? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would you feel if your rights and your citizenship rights were suddenly taken away?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)