|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
2. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
3. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
4. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
5. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
2. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
3. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
4. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
5. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
6. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
7. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
8. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
9. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
10. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of freedom is something many of us take for granted as we've always had had.
Part 1: How do you think you would respond to having your freedom taken away?
Part 2: How might it have felt to the slaves to have their freedom given to them?
Part 3: Do you believe that freedom is an inherent human right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)