|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
2. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
3. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
5. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
Short Essay Questions
1. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
2. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
3. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
4. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
5. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
6. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
7. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
8. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
9. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
10. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)