|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
2. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
3. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
4. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
5. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
2. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
3. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
4. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
5. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
6. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
7. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
8. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The freedom of the slaves was a process that seemed to be disorganized and unplanned.
Part 1: Why do you think there wasn't more structure to the reintegration of African Americans into society?
Part 2: How do you think the freedom of the slaves could have been handled more efficiently and effectively?
Part 3: Do you think the people of the time actually believed the slaves were going to be free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that in order to affect chance in society, they needed to become a part of the system.
Part 1: Why is it important to be involved in government and in politics?
Part 2: How do you think newly freed African Americans felt about holding positions of power?
Part 3: Why do you think African Americans were successful in gaining positions of power?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)