|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
2. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
3. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
4. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
5. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
2. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
3. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
4. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
5. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
6. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
7. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
8. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
9. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
10. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
Essay Topic 1
Many times, though an African American might be elected to office, they would still have troubles yielding the power they earned.
Part 1: Why do you think power for African Americans was difficult to yield?
Part 2: How might an African American candidate have been more effective with their power?
Part 3: Do you think African Americans during that time might have had a part to play in the ineffectiveness of their power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of community is one that began to be quite important to African Americans after they gained freedom from slavery.
Part 1: How does a community benefit its individual members?
Part 2: Why would a community be important to newly freed slaves?
Part 3: How might a community allow African Americans the chance to obtain the rights they deserve?
This section contains 1,954 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)