|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
5. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
2. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
3. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
4. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
5. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
6. What was the main factor that drove the movement of the Great Northern Migration?
7. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
8. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
9. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
10. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
Essay Topic 1
Over time, movements were beginning to sprout up that were led by both whites and blacks, not just African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think whites began to get involved in African American rights movements?
Part 2: Do you think it was necessary for whites to become involved in African American movements?
Part 3: Do you think it was a good idea for whites to help out the blacks in their organizing efforts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans had legal rights in the United States before women, which seems to create a sort of hierarchy of importance for the two groups.
Part 1: Why do you think African Americans succeeded in getting their rights before women?
Part 2: How might society be different today had women gotten their rights sooner?
Part 3: Do you believe that African Americans and women are treated equally today? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,977 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)