|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
2. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
3. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
4. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
5. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
2. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
3. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
4. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
5. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
6. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
7. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
8. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
9. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
10. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a hot topic, no matter who you talk to. Everyone has an opinion about slavery of the past and how it affects the modern world.
Part 1: How do you feel about the institution of slavery in the past?
Part 2: Do you think slavery is still alive and well today? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about slavery today?
Essay Topic 2
While the South had many slaves, the North was not as filled with un-free African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think the North was more successful with having free African Americans?
Part 2: Do you think the African Americans of the North could ever understand the trials of the African Americans of the South? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think African Americans of the South felt about those in the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
African Americans realized that the democracy of the United States was built on violence and oppression.
Part 1: Why do you think the African Americans believed this statement to be true?
Part 2: How might African Americans have dealt with the idea of democracy being a violent process?
Part 3: Do you agree with the statement that democracy was built on violence in the United States? Why or why not?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)