|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
(b) The KKK.
2. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
3. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(d) Political sway.
4. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(c) Union League.
5. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
Short Answer Questions
1. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
2. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
3. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
4. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
5. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
2. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
3. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
4. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
5. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
6. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
7. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
8. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
9. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
10. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)