|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Blacks who attempted to or did vote _________________ were met with harsh reprisals and sanctions.
(a) At all.
(d) For whites.
2. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
(d) The KKK.
3. By the 1870s, a strong black __________ had been established in Virgina and organization efforts were underway.
4. In some areas where based of substantial black political activity existed, an arrangement known as ________ occurred.
5. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
(d) Jail time.
Short Answer Questions
1. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
2. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
3. When the Republican Party began to attract more white voters, those voters would not support ____________.
4. _________ to protect farms and plantation laborers were sometimes cut down by urban blacks and Mulattoes.
5. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
2. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
3. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
4. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
5. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
6. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
7. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
8. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
9. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
10. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)