|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
2. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
3. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
(a) KKK retaliation.
(b) Voting booths.
(c) Political campaigns.
4. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
(a) An abandonment.
(b) A religion.
(c) An organization.
(d) A necessity.
5. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
Short Answer Questions
1. Newspapers, handbills, and pamphlets played a prominent role in disseminating information about emigration to ________ blacks.
2. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
3. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
4. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
5. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
2. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
3. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
4. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
5. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
6. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
7. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
8. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
9. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
10. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)