|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ were most likely to occur in rural areas of the Deep South, where large and volatile black populations lived.
(a) Murders of white slave owners.
(b) KKK Rallies.
(d) Voting troubles.
2. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(c) Union League.
3. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
4. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
5. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
2. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
3. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
4. In some areas where based of substantial black political activity existed, an arrangement known as ________ occurred.
5. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
2. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
3. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
4. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
5. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
6. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
7. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
8. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
9. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
10. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)