|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
2. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(d) Political power.
3. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
4. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
5. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
2. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
3. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
4. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
5. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
2. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
3. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
4. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
5. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
6. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
7. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
8. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
9. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
10. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)