|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Republican Party began to attract more white voters, those voters would not support ____________.
(a) Land owership by blacks.
(b) Voting in elections.
(c) Black candidates.
(d) White candidates.
2. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
3. Although emigrations did emanate from a powerful __________-based impulse, it reveals divisions and power relations.
(a) Political party.
4. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
5. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
2. ___________ advanced the cause by informing individuals about the movement and allowing them a space to discuss it.
3. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
4. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
5. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
2. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
3. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
4. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
5. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
6. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
7. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
8. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
9. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
10. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)