|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
(b) South Carolina.
2. ___________ advanced the cause by informing individuals about the movement and allowing them a space to discuss it.
(c) Town halls.
3. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(c) Latin America.
4. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
5. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
Short Answer Questions
1. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
2. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
3. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
4. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
5. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
2. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
3. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
4. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
5. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
6. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
7. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
8. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
9. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
10. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)