|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
(a) Do battle.
(b) Get good grades.
(d) Debate with others.
2. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
(a) A necessity.
(b) An abandonment.
(c) An organization.
(d) A religion.
3. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
4. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(d) Latin America.
5. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Bank owners.
(b) Sports teams.
(c) Slave unions.
(d) Religious organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
2. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
3. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
4. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
5. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
2. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
3. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
4. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
5. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
6. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
7. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
8. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
9. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
10. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)