|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
2. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
3. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
4. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
5. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(b) Secret meetings.
(c) Bake sales.
(d) Militia training.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
2. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
3. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
4. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
5. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did black officeholders seem to be present the most often?
2. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
3. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
4. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
5. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
6. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
7. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
8. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
9. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
10. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)