|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(b) White authority.
(c) Voting law.
2. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
3. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
4. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(c) Transportation costs.
(d) Poll taxes.
5. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
2. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
3. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
4. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
5. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
2. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
3. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
4. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
5. How was the movement of emigration shared with the black community?
6. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
7. Where were the destinations where many newly freed black men were seeking to emigrate to?
8. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
9. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
10. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)