|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
2. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
3. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(d) Latin America.
4. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
5. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(d) Political sway.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
2. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
3. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
4. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
5. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the emigration sentiment the most powerful, according to Hahn's research?
2. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
3. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
4. Black groups began to challenge the Democratic and conservative rule, how were these challenges waged most aggressively?
5. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
6. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
7. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
8. What were some of the tactics used by members of the opposition to the black vote to keep blacks away from voting?
9. What did some whites do in response to the threat of emigration of their black help?
10. Why is it impossible to define a typical Klan experience?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)