|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(b) Political power.
2. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
3. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
4. The young white men who were attracted to the KKK were once members of the _______________.
(a) Landowner's associations.
(c) Confederate Army.
5. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
Short Answer Questions
1. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
2. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
3. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
4. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
5. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
2. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
3. What did African Americans understand clearly about the democracy of the United States?
4. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
5. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
6. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
7. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
8. What was not really organized in the state of Virginia at the time of the late 1870s and early 1880s?
9. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
10. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)