|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
2. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
3. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) Voting system.
(b) Republican Party.
(c) White man.
(d) Democratic Party.
4. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
5. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
2. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
3. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
4. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
5. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the major achievement of Hiram R. Revels?
2. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
3. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
4. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
5. What were the promising results of the control of the legislature by the Readjusters?
6. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
7. Where were lynchings most likely to occur, according to Hahn's findings in this book?
8. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
9. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
10. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)