|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(c) Young men.
(d) Freed people.
2. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(d) Black Panthers.
3. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
4. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
(a) Civil War.
(d) Abolition Movement.
5. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
5. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
2. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
3. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
4. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
5. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
6. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
7. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
8. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
9. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
10. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)