|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
2. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(a) Black Panthers.
3. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(d) Time periods.
4. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(b) Civil War.
5. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
2. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
3. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
4. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
5. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
2. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
3. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
4. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
5. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
6. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
7. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
8. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
9. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
10. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)