|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(b) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Raising livestock.
2. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
3. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
4. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
(d) Land ownership.
5. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
2. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
3. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
4. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
Short Essay Questions
1. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
2. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
3. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
4. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
5. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
6. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
7. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
8. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
9. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
10. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)