|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
2. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) Sexual favors.
3. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
(b) North Carolina.
4. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
5. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(b) Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
2. When manpower needs raced ahead of recruitment, the army pressed _________ into service.
3. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
4. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
5. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
2. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
3. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
4. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
5. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
6. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
7. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
8. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)