|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(a) African Americans.
2. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
(d) Political movement.
3. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
4. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
5. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
2. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
3. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
4. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
5. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
2. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
3. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
4. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
5. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
6. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
7. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
8. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
9. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
10. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)