|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When manpower needs raced ahead of recruitment, the army pressed _________ into service.
(d) Young boys.
2. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(a) Was not measured.
(c) Stayed the same.
3. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
(b) National Civil Liberties Union.
(c) Suffragists United.
(d) Union League.
4. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
5. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(b) Raising livestock.
(c) Selling handmade crafts.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
2. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
3. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
4. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
5. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
2. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
3. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
4. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
5. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
6. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
7. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
8. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
9. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
10. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)