|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
(c) Land ownership.
2. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
3. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
4. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(a) The draft.
(c) Social sites.
5. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(c) Work gangs.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
2. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
3. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
4. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
5. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
2. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
3. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
4. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
5. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
6. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
7. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
8. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
9. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
10. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)