|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
2. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(c) Stayed the same.
(d) Was not measured.
3. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
4. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
5. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
(b) Just as.
(c) Willing and.
Short Answer Questions
1. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
2. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
3. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
4. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
5. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
2. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
3. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
4. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
5. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
6. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
7. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
8. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
9. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
10. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)