|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
2. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(a) Freed people.
(c) Slave owners.
(d) Church leaders.
3. Black ____________ also helped spread information and visions of the new nations as they made their way through the South.
(b) Union soldiers.
4. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
5. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
Short Answer Questions
1. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
2. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
3. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
4. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
5. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
2. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
3. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
4. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
5. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
6. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
7. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
8. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
9. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
10. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)