|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Jefferson Village.
(b) Davis Bend.
(c) Mount Davis.
(d) Black Bend.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Black ___________ did less field labor after emancipation than they did under slavery.
4. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(c) Pieces of land.
5. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
2. When manpower needs raced ahead of recruitment, the army pressed _________ into service.
3. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
4. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
5. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening in order to prevent black men from registering to vote and actually voting?
2. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
3. During the 1850s, what calls for political inclusion were largely ignored or rejected by society?
4. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
5. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
6. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
7. What did groups like the Agricultural Wheel or Farmer's Alliance say they stood for?
8. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
9. What organization was said to be a necessary response to the formation of the Union League?
10. What industry in the United States had to shoulder the burden of industrial development?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)