|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
(a) Big House.
(b) Democratic Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Confederate Army.
2. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
3. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
(d) Voting laws.
4. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(b) Was not measured.
(d) Stayed the same.
5. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(a) Read or write.
(c) Shoot a gun.
(d) Take orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
2. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
3. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
4. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
5. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
2. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
3. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
4. What is Marcus Garvey most famously known for along with his organization, Universal Negro Improvement Association?
5. Who was included in the processions of freed black slaves as they marched through town?
6. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
7. What were the main goals of the Ku Klux Klan during this period of time?
8. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
9. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
10. What happened to those who supported or to those who had sympathy for the Union League and its goals?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)