|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
2. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
3. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The children.
(b) The owners.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The women.
4. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
5. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(d) Black communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
2. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
3. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
4. Black ___________ did less field labor after emancipation than they did under slavery.
5. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
2. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
3. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
4. Who were typically leading the freedom movements to secure the right to vote for the African American man?
5. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
6. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
7. What is the African American David Medlock help to organize in Texas?
8. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
9. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
10. What are the two main ideas which Hahn's book seeks to suggest?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)