|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
2. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Selling handmade crafts.
(b) Raising livestock.
(c) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
3. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
(a) Political movement.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(b) All whites.
(c) Slave holders.
5. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
2. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
3. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
4. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
5. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
2. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
3. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
4. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
5. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
6. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
7. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
8. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
9. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
10. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)