|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
2. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
3. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(a) African Americans.
4. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
5. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
2. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
3. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
4. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
5. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
2. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
3. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
4. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
5. What happened when leaders of the South joined with Northern blacks?
6. What did the slaveholders begin to do in order to entice their slaves to stay on the farms to work?
7. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
8. By the mid nineteenth century, how did the slaves of the South begin to change the slave-master relationship?
9. What kind of account did Hahn come across, helping to inspire him to become interested in African American politics?
10. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)