|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
2. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(a) All whites.
(b) Slave holders.
3. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(a) Social sites.
(b) The draft.
4. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
5. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
(b) Just as.
(c) Willing and.
Short Answer Questions
1. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
2. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
3. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
4. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
5. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did slaves believe was imminent because of the election of a certain president?
2. Why did the Union League spread rapidly through the plantation belt at the time?
3. What happened to the right to vote of the black man during the time period of this particular book?
4. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
5. To where did some of the free people want to immigrate in order to return to their home countries?
6. What was viewed as the best way to guarantee the freedom of the slaves?
7. What was happening in society, even before the presidential election began?
8. How did slaveholders begin to strike back at the prospect of millions of freed slaves?
9. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
10. What is so special about the rural areas in which the African Americans lived during the time period of this book?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)