|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
2. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
3. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
(a) Slave owner.
4. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
5. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
Short Answer Questions
1. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
2. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
3. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
4. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
5. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hahn focus on the rural South within the course of this book?
2. What were some of the activities that slaves participated in which seemed to be threatening and rebellious?
3. Why are books which focus on shorter time periods of African American history not effective?
4. What happened as a result of the Confederate government becoming more organized?
5. What are some of the plantations on which the slaves of the South used to work?
6. What did the Friends of Universal Suffrage want to attain with their organization?
7. How did the freed men respond to the new extension of the right to vote?
8. What did the slaveholders and the slaves of the 1850s think about the Republican Party?
9. What did Congress allow the federal government to do during the time of the reconstruction?
10. What did the contraband camps provide for the African American slaves once their freedom was emerging?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)