|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
2. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
3. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
4. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
5. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
2. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
3. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
4. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
5. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the emigration movements of the 1870s gain the most support from?
2. What happened on July fourth of 1865 which had not happened in years?
3. What happened with the blacks within the Republican Party regarding the white response to these new members?
4. How did the Readjusters attempt to organize their party in 1879 in Virginia?
5. Who did the KKK first attract to be a part of their membership in the early stages of formation?
6. What happened as a result of the increased slave population before the Antebellum Period?
7. What was Frederick Douglass' response to the idea of emigration for newly freed blacks?
8. What are some of the positions which black men occupied during the time of more black influence?
9. What were some of the rumors spreading about the black farm workers in some areas?
10. Why were so many rumors about black uprisings and other troubles spreading so quickly at this time?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)