|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(b) Union League.
2. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Patrol System.
(b) Confederate Government.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Slave gangs.
3. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
4. Newspapers, handbills, and pamphlets played a prominent role in disseminating information about emigration to ________ blacks.
5. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(b) Militia training.
(c) Bake sales.
(d) Secret meetings.
6. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
7. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(b) Poll taxes.
(c) Transportation costs.
8. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
9. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
10. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
11. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
12. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(d) Political power.
13. The American _________ Society, a white dominated group, settled about 11,000 African Americans in Liberia by the time of the Civil War.
(a) White Men.
14. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
15. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
2. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
3. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
4. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
5. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)