|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
2. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
3. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
4. _________ to protect farms and plantation laborers were sometimes cut down by urban blacks and Mulattoes.
5. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
6. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(b) Uninformed men.
(d) Freed men.
7. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
8. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
9. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
(c) Legal action.
10. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(d) Latin America.
11. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
(d) KKK battle tactics.
12. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
13. Blacks who attempted to or did vote _________________ were met with harsh reprisals and sanctions.
(b) For whites.
(c) At all.
14. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
15. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young white men who were attracted to the KKK were once members of the _______________.
2. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
3. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
4. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
5. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)