|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
(a) Congress men.
(b) KKK members.
2. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(b) KKK battle.
(c) Economic depression.
(d) Emigration movement.
3. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
4. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
5. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
6. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
7. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) Republican Party.
(b) White man.
(c) Voting system.
(d) Democratic Party.
8. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Religious organizations.
(b) Bank owners.
(c) Slave unions.
(d) Sports teams.
9. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
10. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
11. ___________ advanced the cause by informing individuals about the movement and allowing them a space to discuss it.
(a) Town halls.
12. It should be noted that Klansmen did not ride without fear of _________ or of meeting resistance.
(c) Legal ramifcations.
13. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
14. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(a) African American.
15. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
2. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
3. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
4. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
5. The _________, which sought skilled and unskilled laborers of all parties, races, and sexes, expanded from larger cities into the rural South.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)