|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Blacks who attempted to or did vote _________________ were met with harsh reprisals and sanctions.
(b) At all.
(d) For whites.
2. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
3. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
4. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
(a) KKK retaliation.
(b) Political campaigns.
(c) Voting booths.
5. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
(d) With guns.
6. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Slave gangs.
(b) Patrol System.
(c) Confederate Government.
(d) Republican Party.
7. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
8. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
(c) The KKK.
9. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
10. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(c) Political sway.
11. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
12. _________ were most likely to occur in rural areas of the Deep South, where large and volatile black populations lived.
(a) KKK Rallies.
(b) Murders of white slave owners.
(c) Voting troubles.
13. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
(b) Legal action.
14. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(a) Economic depression.
(b) KKK battle.
(d) Emigration movement.
15. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
2. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
3. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
4. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
5. The Klan also attacked local black __________ and school houses.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)