|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
2. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
(b) Polling practices.
3. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(a) KKK battle.
(b) Emigration movement.
(c) Economic depression.
4. Although emigrations did emanate from a powerful __________-based impulse, it reveals divisions and power relations.
(c) Political party.
5. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
6. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
7. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
8. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
(b) Jail time.
9. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
10. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
11. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(c) African American.
12. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
(a) Union League.
(b) Black community.
(c) Democratic Party.
13. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
14. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
15. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
2. Newspapers, handbills, and pamphlets played a prominent role in disseminating information about emigration to ________ blacks.
3. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
4. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
5. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)