|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
2. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
3. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
4. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
5. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Slave gangs.
(b) Patrol System.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Confederate Government.
6. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
7. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(c) White authority.
(d) Voting law.
8. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
9. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
(b) KKK battle tactics.
10. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
11. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
12. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
(b) The election of Lincoln.
13. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(d) Political power.
14. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(a) Bake sales.
(b) Secret meetings.
(d) Militia training.
15. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) White man.
(b) Voting system.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Democratic Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
2. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
3. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
4. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
5. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)