|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
(d) KKK battle tactics.
2. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
3. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(c) Uninformed men.
(d) Freed men.
4. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
5. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
6. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
(a) Legal action.
7. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
8. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
9. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
(a) With guns.
10. In some areas where based of substantial black political activity existed, an arrangement known as ________ occurred.
11. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(a) Voting law.
(d) White authority.
12. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(a) Latin America.
13. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(a) Militia training.
(c) Secret meetings.
(d) Bake sales.
14. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
15. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
2. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
3. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
4. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
5. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)