|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(c) Union League.
2. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
3. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
4. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
5. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
6. It should be noted that Klansmen did not ride without fear of _________ or of meeting resistance.
(d) Legal ramifcations.
7. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
8. The American _________ Society, a white dominated group, settled about 11,000 African Americans in Liberia by the time of the Civil War.
(d) White Men.
9. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(b) African American.
10. White landowners and tenant farmers began to attend meetings of the Agricultural _______ or Farmer's Alliance in large numbers.
11. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
(b) Debate with others.
(c) Get good grades.
(d) Do battle.
12. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
13. _________ to protect farms and plantation laborers were sometimes cut down by urban blacks and Mulattoes.
14. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(a) Emigration movement.
(b) Economic depression.
(d) KKK battle.
15. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
Short Answer Questions
1. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
2. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
3. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
4. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
5. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)