|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
(d) KKK battle tactics.
2. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(c) White authority.
(d) Voting law.
3. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(c) Political power.
4. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
5. Some black leaders, while sympathetic, were hesitant to support and to endorse ___________.
(b) Landowner law changes.
6. ___________ in the United States shouldered the burden of industrial development.
(d) War time.
7. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
8. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Slave unions.
(b) Bank owners.
(c) Religious organizations.
(d) Sports teams.
9. _________ to protect farms and plantation laborers were sometimes cut down by urban blacks and Mulattoes.
10. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
(a) A necessity.
(b) An abandonment.
(c) An organization.
(d) A religion.
11. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
(a) Get good grades.
(b) Do battle.
(c) Debate with others.
12. The KKK was build on enforcing racial ________ and submission and on legacies of military defeat.
13. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
14. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
15. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(b) Uninformed men.
(c) Freed men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
2. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
3. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
4. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
5. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)