|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
(b) Do battle.
(c) Debate with others.
(d) Get good grades.
2. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(a) Poll taxes.
(c) Transportation costs.
3. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
4. Some black leaders, while sympathetic, were hesitant to support and to endorse ___________.
(d) Landowner law changes.
5. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
6. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
7. The _________, which sought skilled and unskilled laborers of all parties, races, and sexes, expanded from larger cities into the rural South.
(a) Greenback Movement.
(b) Agricultural Wheel.
(c) Knights of Labor.
(d) United Laborers.
8. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
9. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
10. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(b) Union League.
11. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
(d) South Carolina.
12. What did the arrangement mentioned in #153 limit? This limited _________ mobilization and organization that had happened during Reconstruction.
13. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
(a) Democratic Party.
(c) Union League.
(d) Black community.
14. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
(a) The election of Lincoln.
15. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Slave unions.
(b) Sports teams.
(c) Bank owners.
(d) Religious organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
2. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
3. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
4. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
5. School houses were where African Americans learned about __________, their enfranchisement, and the importance of voting.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)