|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(b) Union League.
2. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
3. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
4. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
5. African Americans realized that any successes they might find would depend on their ability to _____________.
(a) Do battle.
(b) Get good grades.
(c) Debate with others.
6. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(a) Militia training.
(b) Secret meetings.
(d) Bake sales.
7. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
(a) KKK members.
(b) Congress men.
8. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
(a) Democratic Party.
(b) Union League.
(c) Black community.
9. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(a) Uninformed men.
(b) Freed men.
10. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(a) Political sway.
11. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
12. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(b) African American.
13. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
14. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(b) Poll taxes.
(c) Transportation costs.
15. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
Short Answer Questions
1. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
2. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
3. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
4. Hiram R. Revels was the senator elect from ____________ in 1870.
5. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)