|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(b) African American.
2. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(a) Political sway.
3. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
4. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
5. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
6. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) White man.
(b) Voting system.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Democratic Party.
7. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
8. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
9. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
10. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
(b) South Carolina.
11. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(d) Union League.
12. Blacks who attempted to or did vote _________________ were met with harsh reprisals and sanctions.
(b) At all.
(c) For whites.
13. Wherever they lived, it was important for black voters to travel to polling sites ____________ with as many individuals as possible.
(d) With guns.
14. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
15. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
(b) Jail time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Republican Party began to attract more white voters, those voters would not support ____________.
2. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
3. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
4. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
5. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)