|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(a) White authority.
(c) Voting law.
2. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
3. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(d) Union League.
4. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
5. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
(d) Jail time.
6. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
7. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
8. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(b) Union League.
9. Almost without exception, those leaving the ___________ Party had to solicit black votes.
10. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
(d) Polling practices.
11. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
12. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Bank owners.
(b) Sports teams.
(c) Religious organizations.
(d) Slave unions.
13. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
14. Black social and political power weakened after _____________.
(c) The election of Lincoln.
15. What did the arrangement mentioned in #153 limit? This limited _________ mobilization and organization that had happened during Reconstruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
2. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
3. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
4. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
5. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)