|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(b) Union League.
2. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
3. ___________ advanced the cause by informing individuals about the movement and allowing them a space to discuss it.
(a) Town halls.
4. It appears that little of the interest in emigration spread to _________ areas.
5. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(a) Uninformed men.
(b) Freed men.
6. Federal measures which voided the black ___________ and disbanded provisional militias drove the use of organized force underground.
7. When the Republican Party began to attract more white voters, those voters would not support ____________.
(a) White candidates.
(b) Black candidates.
(c) Voting in elections.
(d) Land owership by blacks.
8. The Klan also attacked local black __________ and school houses.
(a) Grocery stores.
(c) Drinking fountains.
9. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
10. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
(a) KKK members.
(b) Congress men.
11. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
12. Black misgivings were often confirmed at a local level, where some Populists resorted to ____________.
(a) Legal action.
13. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) Voting system.
(b) Democratic Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) White man.
14. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(d) Latin America.
15. The __________ Party was the greats white insurgency of post-emancipation.
Short Answer Questions
1. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
2. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
3. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
4. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
5. Effective ___________ had to come from groups like the Union League and the Republican Party.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)