|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lynchings were rare in areas where a community had been created and where there was some local __________.
(c) White authority.
(d) Voting law.
2. The _________, which sought skilled and unskilled laborers of all parties, races, and sexes, expanded from larger cities into the rural South.
(a) United Laborers.
(b) Agricultural Wheel.
(c) Greenback Movement.
(d) Knights of Labor.
3. Newspapers, handbills, and pamphlets played a prominent role in disseminating information about emigration to ________ blacks.
4. "Under the best of circumstances, white _____________ embraced the ideals of civil and political equality."
5. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
6. White landowners and tenant farmers began to attend meetings of the Agricultural _______ or Farmer's Alliance in large numbers.
7. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
8. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
9. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
10. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Republican Party.
(b) Patrol System.
(c) Slave gangs.
(d) Confederate Government.
11. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(a) Union League.
12. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(a) Poll taxes.
(d) Transportation costs.
13. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
14. The Kansas _________ movement developed where emigration sentiment had already been sparked.
15. The American _________ Society, a white dominated group, settled about 11,000 African Americans in Liberia by the time of the Civil War.
(b) White Men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some black leaders, while sympathetic, were hesitant to support and to endorse ___________.
2. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
3. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
4. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
5. One form of political activity that is often overlooked is the ___________ sentiment that developed.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)