|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
2. Disappointment with the __________ increased the interest in emigration of African Americans.
(a) White man.
(b) Voting system.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Democratic Party.
3. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(a) Freed men.
(c) Uninformed men.
4. Blacks looks to local political power as a way to construct a new political __________.
5. The Klan also attacked local black __________ and school houses.
(c) Grocery stores.
(d) Drinking fountains.
6. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(d) Union League.
7. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
8. The KKK could be seen as a __________ movement to continue the battle or avenge the consequences of surrender during the Civil War.
9. African American _____________ also made emigration difficult.
(d) Political power.
10. Many Klans believed that teaching school was a front for _____________ objectives.
(b) African American.
11. It should be noted that Klansmen did not ride without fear of _________ or of meeting resistance.
(d) Legal ramifcations.
12. Newspapers, handbills, and pamphlets played a prominent role in disseminating information about emigration to ________ blacks.
13. White landowners and tenant farmers began to attend meetings of the Agricultural _______ or Farmer's Alliance in large numbers.
14. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
15. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lines of authority tended to flow from the _______ heads of household.
2. In places where the Republican interest was strong, ___________ interest was less than in other areas.
3. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
4. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
5. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)