|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(b) Economic depression.
(c) KKK battle.
(d) Emigration movement.
2. Bands of whites rode through the countryside disarming freed people and making plans to call out the ___________ to deal with the blacks.
3. When a black man vied for office, it required the mobilization of entire ________________.
4. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
5. The KKK complained that freed slaves were organizing and were accumulating arms, holding ____________, and threatening mobilizations.
(b) Militia training.
(c) Bake sales.
(d) Secret meetings.
6. "________ supremacy was no longer just a rallying cry, a goal, a discourse, or a description of relations."
7. Frederick Douglass argued that emigration amounted to _____________ of other blacks.
(a) An abandonment.
(b) A necessity.
(c) An organization.
(d) A religion.
8. The American _________ Society, a white dominated group, settled about 11,000 African Americans in Liberia by the time of the Civil War.
(b) White Men.
9. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
10. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Confederate Government.
(b) Slave gangs.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Patrol System.
11. _____________ often left illiterate and poorer individuals vulnerable to harassment and disenfranchisement.
(b) Polling practices.
12. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
13. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
(a) Union League.
(c) Black community.
(d) Democratic Party.
14. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
(c) The KKK.
15. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
(a) Poll taxes.
(c) Transportation costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
2. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
3. More than a few reputed leaders argued that the KKK was a _____________ response to the Union League.
4. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
5. It should be noted that Klansmen did not ride without fear of _________ or of meeting resistance.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)