|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many areas of the world suffered a/an ___________ in the 1870s and again in the 1890s.
(b) KKK battle.
(c) Economic depression.
(d) Emigration movement.
2. ___________ black communities viewed emigration as one of several strategies that could create freed and stable communities.
3. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
(c) Union League.
4. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
5. The __________had variations in leadership, rituals, goals, and activities that make it impossible to define a typical experience.
(a) Union League.
(b) Black community.
(d) Democratic Party.
6. __________ efforts generally offers African Americans a greater chance of holding office and holding some sort of political power.
7. It was as enforcers that black __________ may have made their most influential and powerful contributions to developing political communities.
8. Emigration won support from the educated, ________ free men of color in the North during antebellum.
9. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(a) Freed men.
(b) Uninformed men.
10. The Reconstruction Klan seems to many African Americans to be a new form of the old ____________.
(a) Slave gangs.
(b) Republican Party.
(c) Patrol System.
(d) Confederate Government.
11. The _________, which sought skilled and unskilled laborers of all parties, races, and sexes, expanded from larger cities into the rural South.
(a) United Laborers.
(b) Agricultural Wheel.
(c) Greenback Movement.
(d) Knights of Labor.
12. While the incidence of black office holding grew, the party began to grow ____________.
13. The Klan was controlled by white rural bosses and ___________ governments.
14. Whites claimed that blacks were planning on murdered their whites in order to gain their ___________.
(d) Political sway.
15. What is NOT one of the places where blacks considered emigrating?
(b) Latin America.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
2. Although emigrations did emanate from a powerful __________-based impulse, it reveals divisions and power relations.
3. African Americans understood that ____________ in the United States was build on violence and repression.
4. Local landowners used intimidation, paramilitary violence and threatened steamboat captains with _________ if they took black passengers.
5. Emigration sentiment seemed to be most powerful in areas where freed people labored on ____________.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)