|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Jefferson Davis.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
2. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
(a) Civil War.
(b) Abolition Movement.
3. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
4. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
5. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
6. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
7. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
8. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(b) Civil War.
9. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
10. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(b) Raising livestock.
(c) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
11. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
(a) Confederate dissolution.
(b) Union spy team.
(c) Black regiment.
(d) White and black regiment.
12. Hahn is mindful of overemphasizing the number of _________ which formed during these periods of time.
(a) White groups.
(b) Voting rules.
13. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
14. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
15. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
(b) Slave owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
2. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
3. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
4. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
5. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)