|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
2. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
3. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
4. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
5. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
6. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
7. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(c) Civil War.
8. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(c) Social sites.
(d) The draft.
9. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
10. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
(d) North Carolina.
11. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
12. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
13. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
14. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Raising livestock.
(c) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(d) Selling handmade crafts.
15. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(d) Time periods.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
2. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
3. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
4. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
5. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)