|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
(a) Farming communities.
(c) Board rooms.
2. Black ____________ also helped spread information and visions of the new nations as they made their way through the South.
(b) Union soldiers.
3. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(b) Church leaders.
(c) Slave owners.
(d) Freed people.
4. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
5. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
6. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
7. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
8. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
9. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
10. Freed men responded by ___________________ in large numbers and aligning themselves with the Republican Party.
(d) Registering to vote.
11. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
12. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
13. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
14. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(b) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(c) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Raising livestock.
15. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
2. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
3. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
4. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
5. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)