|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Get married.
(c) Be free.
(d) Own land.
2. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(a) Pieces of land.
3. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
(c) No one.
(d) A black man.
4. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
(b) National Civil Liberties Union.
(c) Suffragists United.
(d) Union League.
5. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
6. Black ___________ did less field labor after emancipation than they did under slavery.
7. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(b) Freed people.
(c) Young men.
8. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
9. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
10. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(a) Black communities.
11. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(d) Work gangs.
12. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Robert E. Lee.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Jefferson Davis.
13. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(b) Read or write.
(c) Shoot a gun.
(d) Take orders.
14. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
15. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
2. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
3. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
4. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
5. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)