|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
2. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
3. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
4. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
5. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(c) Dispute resolution.
6. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
7. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
8. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
(a) Board rooms.
(b) Farming communities.
9. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
10. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
(a) In power.
11. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
12. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
13. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
14. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(a) Black communities.
15. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Mount Davis.
(b) Black Bend.
(c) Jefferson Village.
(d) Davis Bend.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
2. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
3. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
4. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
5. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)