|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(a) Read or write.
(b) Take orders.
(c) Shoot a gun.
2. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(b) African Americans.
5. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
(d) Slave owner.
6. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
(d) Land ownership.
7. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(a) Law changes.
8. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(b) Freed people.
(c) Slave owners.
(d) Church leaders.
9. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
(a) Union spy team.
(b) White and black regiment.
(c) Black regiment.
(d) Confederate dissolution.
10. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
11. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
12. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(a) The draft.
(d) Social sites.
13. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
14. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
15. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
2. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
3. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
4. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
5. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)