|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(b) Civil War.
2. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
3. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
4. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
5. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
6. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
7. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
(a) Slave owner.
8. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
9. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
(c) In power.
10. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
(a) Voting laws.
11. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
12. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
13. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(a) Voting rights.
(d) Free time.
14. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(c) Pieces of land.
15. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(b) Stayed the same.
(d) Was not measured.
Short Answer Questions
1. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
2. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
3. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
4. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
5. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)