|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
2. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
3. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
(a) Black regiment.
(b) White and black regiment.
(c) Union spy team.
(d) Confederate dissolution.
4. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
5. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(b) Work gangs.
6. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Jefferson Village.
(b) Black Bend.
(c) Mount Davis.
(d) Davis Bend.
7. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
8. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(b) Law changes.
9. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
10. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Jefferson Davis.
11. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(a) Dispute resolution.
12. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
13. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
14. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(c) Black communities.
15. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(b) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Raising livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
2. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
3. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
4. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
5. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)