|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
(a) Slave punishment.
(b) Fugitive slave.
(c) Bounty hunter.
(d) Freed slave.
2. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
3. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
4. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
5. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
6. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
7. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(c) Dispute resolution.
8. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
(a) Land ownership.
9. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
10. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
11. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(b) Free time.
(d) Voting rights.
12. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
(c) Abolition Movement.
(d) Civil War.
13. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Jefferson Davis.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
14. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(a) The draft.
(b) Social sites.
15. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
2. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
3. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
4. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
5. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)