|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(b) Social sites.
(d) The draft.
2. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
3. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(b) Pieces of land.
4. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
5. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
6. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
7. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
(d) North Carolina.
8. When manpower needs raced ahead of recruitment, the army pressed _________ into service.
(d) Young boys.
9. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
10. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
(d) In power.
11. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
12. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
13. Black ____________ also helped spread information and visions of the new nations as they made their way through the South.
(b) Union soldiers.
14. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
15. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
2. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
3. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
4. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
5. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)