|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
2. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
3. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
4. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
5. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Davis Bend.
(b) Black Bend.
(c) Mount Davis.
(d) Jefferson Village.
6. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
7. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(b) Burned down.
8. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
9. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
10. Hahn is mindful of overemphasizing the number of _________ which formed during these periods of time.
(b) White groups.
(d) Voting rules.
11. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
12. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) West Coast.
(b) Urban North.
(c) East Coast.
(d) Rural South.
13. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(c) Black communities.
14. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
15. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
2. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
3. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
4. Freed men responded by ___________________ in large numbers and aligning themselves with the Republican Party.
5. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)