|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(a) Pieces of land.
2. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(a) Time periods.
3. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
4. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
5. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Get married.
(c) Own land.
(d) Be free.
6. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(a) Freed people.
(c) Slave owners.
(d) Church leaders.
7. Black ___________ did less field labor after emancipation than they did under slavery.
8. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
9. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
10. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
11. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
12. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
13. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
14. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(c) Freed people.
(d) Young men.
15. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
2. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
3. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
4. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
5. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)