|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
2. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
3. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
4. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
(c) Political movement.
5. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
6. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
7. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
8. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
9. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
10. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(d) Dispute resolution.
11. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
12. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(a) Voting rights.
(b) Free time.
13. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
14. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(d) Burned down.
15. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
2. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
3. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
4. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
5. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)