|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Mount Davis.
(b) Black Bend.
(c) Davis Bend.
(d) Jefferson Village.
2. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
3. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Own land.
(b) Be free.
(c) Get married.
4. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
5. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
6. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(b) Dispute resolution.
7. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
8. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
9. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(d) Black Panthers.
10. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Sexual favors.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) Ritual gifting.
11. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
12. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Jefferson Davis.
13. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Raising livestock.
(b) Selling handmade crafts.
(c) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
14. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
15. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
2. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
3. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
4. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
5. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)