|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
(a) Women and children.
(b) People in power.
(c) Each other.
(d) Freed men.
2. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
3. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
4. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
5. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
6. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(a) Read or write.
(c) Take orders.
(d) Shoot a gun.
7. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
(b) Voting laws.
8. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(b) Voting rights.
(c) Free time.
9. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(a) Black Panthers.
10. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
11. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
12. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
(a) Just as.
(c) Willing and.
13. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
14. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
15. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(c) Raising livestock.
(d) Selling handmade crafts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
2. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
3. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
4. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
5. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)