|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The slaves.
(b) The women.
(c) The owners.
(d) The children.
2. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
3. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
4. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
5. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
6. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
(b) A black man.
(c) No one.
7. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
8. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) Sexual favors.
9. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(a) Black Panthers.
10. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(c) Civil War.
11. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
(b) Political movement.
12. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(a) Slave owners.
(b) Church leaders.
(c) Freed people.
13. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(a) Free time.
(c) Voting rights.
14. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
15. Calls for the __________ inclusion of women and northern free blacks were ignored or rejected.
(d) Land ownership.
Short Answer Questions
1. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
2. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
3. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
4. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
5. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)