|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
(c) Abolition Movement.
(d) Civil War.
2. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(a) Dispute resolution.
3. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
4. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The owners.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The women.
(d) The children.
5. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(a) Work gangs.
6. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
7. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
8. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
(a) Just as.
(c) Willing and.
9. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
10. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Black Bend.
(b) Davis Bend.
(c) Jefferson Village.
(d) Mount Davis.
11. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(c) Free time.
(d) Voting rights.
12. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
13. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
14. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(b) Read or write.
(c) Take orders.
(d) Shoot a gun.
15. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
(c) Slave owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
2. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
3. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
4. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
5. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)