|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
2. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
3. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
(b) In power.
4. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
(a) Black Panthers.
5. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(c) Slave holders.
(d) All whites.
6. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
7. Leaders from the South joined with the __________ blacks to create a new political nation.
8. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
9. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(d) Dispute resolution.
10. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
11. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
12. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(a) Time periods.
13. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
14. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
15. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
(a) Union League.
(c) Suffragists United.
(d) National Civil Liberties Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
2. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
3. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
4. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
5. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)