Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
(a) Women and children.
(b) Each other.
(c) Freed men.
(d) People in power.
2. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(a) All whites.
(b) Slave holders.
5. Some called for a nation based on a concept of _______________ that was based on birth and loyalty, servitude, or other particularities.
6. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
7. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
8. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
9. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
10. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(a) Freed people.
(b) Slave owners.
(d) Church leaders.
11. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(a) Law changes.
12. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
13. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
14. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(d) African Americans.
15. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
2. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
3. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
4. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
5. By the summer of 1867, complaints about the armed ____________ of freed people grew in volume and scope.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)