|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
2. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(a) Civil War.
3. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
4. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
5. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
(a) Black regiment.
(b) Confederate dissolution.
(c) Union spy team.
(d) White and black regiment.
6. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
7. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(d) Burned down.
8. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
9. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
10. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
11. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(a) Stayed the same.
(c) Was not measured.
12. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
13. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
(a) National Civil Liberties Union.
(b) Suffragists United.
(d) Union League.
14. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Sexual favors.
(d) Good behavior.
15. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
2. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
3. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
4. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
5. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)