|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
2. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
3. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
4. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(c) Dispute resolution.
5. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
6. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
7. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
8. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(c) Pieces of land.
9. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(c) Law changes.
10. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
11. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(a) African Americans.
12. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
(c) Voting laws.
13. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
(b) A black man.
(d) No one.
14. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
15. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
2. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
3. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
4. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
5. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)