|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On July __________, millions of freed people claimed access to public space previously denied to them.
2. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
(a) Union spy team.
(b) White and black regiment.
(c) Black regiment.
(d) Confederate dissolution.
3. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
4. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
5. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(a) Civil War.
6. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
7. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(b) Dispute resolution.
8. Those leading the new black political movement were mostly men who had been ________ before the war.
(d) In power.
9. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
10. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
11. The most prominent example of black self-management was at ____________, the plantations owned by President Jefferson Davis.
(a) Mount Davis.
(b) Jefferson Village.
(c) Davis Bend.
(d) Black Bend.
12. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) Rural South.
(b) Urban North.
(c) East Coast.
(d) West Coast.
13. Hahn is mindful of overemphasizing the number of _________ which formed during these periods of time.
(c) White groups.
(d) Voting rules.
14. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The women.
(b) The children.
(c) The owners.
(d) The slaves.
15. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(a) Social sites.
(b) The draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
2. The Union League was formed to rally public support for ________ and the war effort.
3. Mass meetings and small gatherings proclaimed a new black __________ presence.
4. Rural freed people did not need outsiders to nurture their desire for the _________ they had been cultivating.
5. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)