|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
2. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(d) Law changes.
3. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
4. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
5. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
6. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(b) Burned down.
7. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
(b) A black man.
(c) No one.
8. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
(d) Slave owner.
9. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(a) Time periods.
10. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Own land.
(b) Get married.
(d) Be free.
11. As the Union Army moved further into the South, the volume of slave fugitives ___________.
(b) Stayed the same.
(d) Was not measured.
12. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
13. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
14. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
15. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(a) Work gangs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
2. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
3. Slave congregations pulsed not only with ____________, but also with collective deliberation.
4. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
5. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)