|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
(a) Each other.
(b) People in power.
(c) Freed men.
(d) Women and children.
2. Many of the early organizations founded by freed people were also bound together by ____________.
(a) Slave owner.
3. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
4. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Good behavior.
(c) Sexual favors.
(d) Ritual gifting.
6. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The children.
(b) The owners.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The women.
7. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) Rural South.
(b) East Coast.
(c) Urban North.
(d) West Coast.
8. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
9. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
10. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(a) Black communities.
11. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
12. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
(a) Freed slave.
(b) Fugitive slave.
(c) Bounty hunter.
(d) Slave punishment.
13. When manpower needs raced ahead of recruitment, the army pressed _________ into service.
(a) Young boys.
14. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
15. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Freed blacks marched past the homes of former prominent ___________ officials and through public squares.
2. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
3. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
4. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
5. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)