|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
2. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
3. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(c) Time periods.
4. Slave rebellions started with small scale departures for ___________ lines.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Sexual favors.
(c) Good behavior.
6. Some ___________ began pooling their resources in hopes of buying or leasing land that had been confiscated.
(a) Freed people.
(b) Church leaders.
(c) Slave owners.
7. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(b) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Raising livestock.
8. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(a) Freed people.
(c) Young men.
9. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
10. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(a) Voting rights.
(c) Free time.
11. "Black ________" effectively gave a separate legal and social status to blacks during this time.
12. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(c) Pieces of land.
13. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
(a) Slave punishment.
(b) Bounty hunter.
(c) Freed slave.
(d) Fugitive slave.
14. The League depended on a wider base of mobilization and involvement than ____________.
15. The Friends of Universal ________ in Louisiana sought more radical reforms during this time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
2. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
3. The rural South was a luminal political world after the __________ ended.
4. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
5. Though many black men won seats of power, many eligible ________ voters refused to participate in elections.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)