|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The newly freed blacks began to protest ___________ treatment during this time.
2. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
3. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
4. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
5. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(a) Freed people.
(c) Young men.
6. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
(a) Freed slave.
(b) Bounty hunter.
(c) Slave punishment.
(d) Fugitive slave.
7. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
(a) Democratic Party.
(b) Big House.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Confederate Army.
8. Black ____________ also helped spread information and visions of the new nations as they made their way through the South.
(a) Union soldiers.
9. Hahn is mindful of overemphasizing the number of _________ which formed during these periods of time.
(b) White groups.
(c) Voting rules.
10. In the rural South, instead of petitions and calls for equality, mutually reinforcing _________ spread about either the federal government's future or insurrections.
11. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
(a) National Civil Liberties Union.
(b) Suffragists United.
(d) Union League.
12. Freed people played important roles in the early quests for land _______________.
13. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
(b) Social sites.
(d) The draft.
14. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(d) Burned down.
15. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
(c) Work gangs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
2. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
3. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
4. Congress finally moved to prohibit military personnel from ________ slaves to their owners.
5. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)