|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
2. By drilling, marching, and posting sentinels, ___________ reminded each other of the risks they faced while offering protection.
(b) Freed people.
(c) Young men.
3. Black nuclear families of the time were family-based work ___________.
4. The importance of leaders within the black community was apparent at the freed man's __________ throughout the South.
5. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(a) Burned down.
6. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
(c) African Americans.
7. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
(b) Board rooms.
(c) Farming communities.
8. Freedmen also resisted the threats of white _________, marched to the polls, and helped write new state constitutions.
9. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The slaves.
(b) The children.
(c) The women.
(d) The owners.
10. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
11. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Sexual favors.
(c) Good behavior.
12. Almost universally, freed people believed that some __________ for the trials of slavery should occur.
(d) Law changes.
13. The ____________ Freedman's Convention may have been the most visible organization of this time.
(c) North Carolina.
14. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) Urban North.
(b) West Coast.
(c) East Coast.
(d) Rural South.
15. David Medlock was an African American leader in the state of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
2. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
3. Congress gave the federal government the ability to restructure the ______________ states.
4. What organization developed out of a network of organizations formed in the North during the Civil War?
5. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)