|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 The Choked Voices of a Race at Last Unloosed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
2. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(b) Raising livestock.
(c) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
(d) Selling handmade crafts.
3. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(b) Dispute resolution.
4. Slaveholders and slaves believed the __________ party was hostile towards slavery.
5. Some slaves were convinced that because of the presumed election results, that ___________ was imminent.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
2. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
3. General Benjamin F. Butler declared slaves ______________ of war and put them to work.
4. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)