|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 The Choked Voices of a Race at Last Unloosed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(b) Free time.
(d) Voting rights.
2. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
(a) Big House.
(b) Democratic Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Confederate Army.
3. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
4. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
5. Hahn argues that smaller __________ do not allow us to see how the developments of one era shaped those of the next.
(b) Time periods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
2. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
3. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
4. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
5. Congress voted for a stronger ________ law in order to help slave owners hold onto their slaves.
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)