|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 The Choked Voices of a Race at Last Unloosed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) Rural South.
(b) Urban North.
(c) East Coast.
(d) West Coast.
2. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(d) Burned down.
3. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
4. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
5. Hahn learned that in ________, Mississippi, freedmen and women were driving their employers to distraction in 1868.
Short Answer Questions
1. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
2. Hahn is mindful of overemphasizing the number of _________ which formed during these periods of time.
3. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
4. In 1862, the War Department authorized the establishment of a ______________.
5. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)