|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 The Choked Voices of a Race at Last Unloosed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(a) Take orders.
(c) Read or write.
(d) Shoot a gun.
2. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
(d) Pieces of land.
3. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(a) Civil War.
4. A ____________ Movement developed as an influx of poor Irish Catholics arriving in the United States.
5. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(a) Slave holders.
(d) All whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
2. This is a book about the inspiring and the dispiriting history of American ____________.
3. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
4. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
5. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)