|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1 Of Chains and Threads.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
2. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Get married.
(c) Be free.
(d) Own land.
3. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(c) Sexual favors.
(d) Good behavior.
4. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Raising livestock.
(c) Selling handmade crafts.
(d) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
5. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(d) Dispute resolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
2. What is NOT one of the types of plantations on which the slaves in the south used to work?
3. Almost 150,000 African Americans ended up fighting for the which army during the Civil War?
4. What is NOT one of the things which Hahn sees as being embraced after the struggles were defeated and the goals rejected?
5. Some slaveholders began offering their slaves small ___________ in order to keep them on the plantations.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)