|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1 Of Chains and Threads.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of the country does Hahn focus the contents of this book he has compiled?
(a) West Coast.
(b) Rural South.
(c) East Coast.
(d) Urban North.
2. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Be free.
(b) Get married.
(c) Own land.
3. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(b) Voting rights.
(c) Free time.
4. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
5. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Ritual gifting.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) Sexual favors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
2. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
3. Solidarities were created by the political _______________ of African Americans.
4. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
5. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)