|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1 Of Chains and Threads.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
(a) Voting rights.
(d) Free time.
2. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
3. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
(a) Be free.
(b) Get married.
(d) Own land.
4. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Good behavior.
(b) Sexual favors.
(c) Ritual gifting.
5. African Americans exposed the complex and contradictory relationship between labor and _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
2. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
3. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
4. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
5. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)