|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1 Of Chains and Threads.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Any action undertaken by African Americans needed to be taken as a ______________ so as to avoid punishment.
(d) Political movement.
2. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
3. Southern slaveholders tried to encourage and organize communities centered on the ____________.
(a) Confederate Army.
(b) Republican Party.
(c) Democratic Party.
(d) Big House.
4. _________ was another way that slaves earned goods and money and increased their leverage.
(a) Sexual favors.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) Ritual gifting.
5. Hahn notes there is a lot of information about African American ______ during this time period, but not a lot on politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
2. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
3. Hahn sees his book as encompassing collective struggled for social and meaningful ____________.
4. The time period of the book is a time when African American men won and lost the right to __________.
5. Hahn became interested in the history of African American struggles when he came across an account of African American __________ resistance.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)