|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1 Of Chains and Threads.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When African Americans were slaves or freed people, the overwhelming majority of them were _____________.
2. Slaveholders tolerated some economic activities from slaves. Which of these is NOT one of the tolerated activities?
(a) Raising livestock.
(b) Selling handmade crafts.
(c) Cultivating subsistence and market garden plots.
3. This book is about how African Americans became involved in a(n) ____________ struggle.
4. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
5. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
(a) Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaves in the South began to gain ________ for themselves as well as looser standards.
2. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
3. Even before the presidential election took place, rumors were circulating that ___________ had won.
4. Due to the increase in slave ___________, a structure of kinship relationships and practices developed.
5. This is a book about ___________ people who did extraordinary things under the most difficult of circumstances, writes Hahn.
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)