|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 The Valley and the Shadows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Those slaves who remained in the south began to take over their master's "____________" plantations.
(c) Burned down.
2. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(b) Read or write.
(c) Shoot a gun.
(d) Take orders.
3. Military district commanders worked to educate and protect ______________, who did not understand the process or feared consequences.
(a) Women and children.
(b) Each other.
(c) Freed men.
(d) People in power.
4. The delegates who gathered in state __________ that year were composed of both black and white men.
(a) Board rooms.
(c) Farming communities.
5. Many new agricultural groups claimed to stand for the interests of small farmers and drew on the political legacies of ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
2. Hahn discovered there were more examples of resistance and political struggle across the South in the wake of the _____________.
3. Blacks who attempted to or did vote _________________ were met with harsh reprisals and sanctions.
4. Hahn argues that African Americans contributed to the formation of a new ___________ nation.
5. Slave recruits were generally __________ able to lead as the widely lacked skills and experience.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)