|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 The Valley and the Shadows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
(a) South Carolina.
2. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
(b) Freed men.
(c) Uninformed men.
3. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
(b) Dispute resolution.
4. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
5. Black support fed on the ideologies and customers with _______________.
(b) Black communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rumors were able to spread because thousands of slaves were drawn to ____________ during the war.
2. Slaves working within kin groups or ______ did not escape punishment, but were better able to maintain and secure the gains they did make.
3. The majority of ______________ lived in the rural South during this particular time period of the book.
4. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
5. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)