|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 6 Of Paramilitary Politics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About one in ________ slaves lived in the upper or border South, where the hiring of free people of color was not uncommon.
2. The __________ process helped to illuminate who the leaders were within black communities.
3. Plantation ________, who wielded the most power within the community, tended to be male.
4. As the __________ government organized, opportunities increased for slaves to become better acquainted with each other and political events.
5. The Union League tried to mobilize newly enfranchised _______ and protect them through secrecy and armed self-defense.
(b) KKK members.
(d) Congress men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mobility, craft skills, and literacy were all crucial components in the creation of political __________.
2. The ________ attacked and murdered local leaders and organizers, intimidated party supporters, and tried to force out objectionable office holders.
3. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
4. Freed men responded by ___________________ in large numbers and aligning themselves with the Republican Party.
5. An aspect that has often been overlooked in the literature on slavery is ____________ between slaves.
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)