|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 8 Of Ballots and Biracialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. White ________ were encouraged to seek black votes with appeals and with patronage.
2. Slaveholders complained about the sulkiness, demoralization, and insubordination on the part of _____________.
(a) The owners.
(b) The women.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The children.
3. The __________ movement was one of the most successful challenges to the Democratic Party rule in the rural South.
(a) Union League.
4. The community support necessary for both black voting and black officeholders found its institutional anchors in black ____________.
(a) Sports teams.
(b) Bank owners.
(c) Slave unions.
(d) Religious organizations.
5. Members of the opposition parties would use ___________, intimidation, and violence to induce blacks not to vote.
(c) Jail time.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the _______ level, blacks could hope for a significant share of county and parish offices.
2. The challenges of ___________, re-energized Republicans, and third parties exposed the divisions of the Democratic Party.
3. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
4. Legislators started off strong, reducing __________ debt, slashing taxes on real estate, chartering labor unions, etc.
5. The Readjusters tried to rally local communities by paying the __________ for a large number eligible voters.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)