|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 8 Of Ballots and Biracialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Few slaves knew how to ___________ before they entered the military.
(a) Read or write.
(c) Shoot a gun.
(d) Take orders.
2. ___________ called for the federal protection of slavery in the western territories.
(b) All whites.
(d) Slave holders.
3. The wartime military provided a basic political _____________ to fugitive slaves.
4. Republicans never fully gained a large hold in the state of ___________ after the Civil War.
5. In many areas, the Republican Party failed to attract enough ________ voters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In South Carolina, about 55% of the state legislature was filled by ______________, including many blacks.
2. By the 1870s, a strong black __________ had been established in Virgina and organization efforts were underway.
3. The great majority of African Americans in the South remained loyal to the __________ Party.
4. One African American became the governor of __________ while 800 blacks served in state legislatures.
5. What kind of winds blew into the United States during the 1850s, according to Hahn's book?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)