|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do humans owe many of their ideas to?
2. According to Rousseau, what is the outcome of man's labor?
3. According to Rousseau, what do passions allow for the human?
4. Which of the following was NOT mentioned being a result of luxury?
5. How does Rousseau see the state of man in "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Rousseau emphasizes a theme that 'man oppresses man' and how Rousseau feels man does so.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Jean-Jacques Rousseau has difficulty treating the subject of the "restoration of the arts and sciences" and its effects on morality fairly in his "A Discourse on Inequality"? Discuss what gets in the way and how the results are contradictory.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rousseau's definition of the savage man to the modern man.
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)