|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rousseau, who destroyed human compassion?
(d) Modern depravity.
2. What summarizes the end of "Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One"?
(a) Calling to the gods for help.
(b) How power came into existence.
(c) Foregoing features of primitive man.
(d) Finding power.
3. What is the final stage of maturation of inequality, according to "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two"?
4. What happened as words grew in number?
5. What was the result of new tools being invented, according to Rousseau?
(a) Violence and death.
(b) Men's interests began to coincide.
(d) Men's interests began to conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes use of human understanding, according to Rousseau?
2. According to Rousseau, what do passions allow for the human?
3. What do humans owe many of their ideas to?
4. What did some individuals grow rich enough for as a result of inventions?
5. How does Rousseau think the gods will react to people forming a more perfect union?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)