|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the poor become, according to Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau believe helped man use nature?
(a) Natural reason.
(b) Free will.
3. What does philosophy do?
(a) Introverts the human.
(b) Isolates the human.
(c) Enlightens the human.
(d) Broadens the human.
4. What leads to sex for man, according to Rousseau?
(a) Natural sentiment.
(b) Carnal desire.
5. What does Rousseau believe does not preserve one's liberty?
(a) Using one's liberty.
(b) Alienation of one's liberty.
(c) Laughing at one's liberty.
(d) Ignoring one's liberty.
6. What does Rousseau believe follows the heels of metallurgy and agriculture?
(a) Slavery and misery.
(b) Freedom and instinct.
7. According to Rousseau, what was life of man limited to before his interests grew?
8. What was the result of new tools being invented, according to Rousseau?
(a) Violence and death.
(b) Men's interests began to conflict.
(c) Men's interests began to coincide.
9. What does amore-propre preserve?
(a) The greed.
(b) The species.
(c) The nature.
(d) The desire.
10. According to Rousseau, what is the savage man of nature focused on?
(a) Self knowledge.
(c) Self preservation.
(d) Arts and sciences.
11. How many types of inequality does Rousseau see among humans in "Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One"?
12. What did the rich become, according to Rousseau?
13. What is at conflict in "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix" that concerns Rousseau?
(a) Men's behavior.
(b) Men's interests.
(c) Men's desires.
(d) Men's thought process.
14. According to Rousseau, what do men have that is difficult to control?
15. What does Rousseau believe government did NOT evolve from?
(a) Arbitrary power.
(b) Mindless ideas.
(c) Rich men.
(d) Gods and kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rousseau question language evolved from?
2. What does Rousseau feel happens to the state as a result of luxury development?
3. What is a natural virtue considered to be, according to Rousseau?
4. What was man's first feeling, according to Rousseau?
5. What grew when the family grew, according to Rousseau?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)