|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT mentioned being a result of luxury?
(a) Mechanical arts.
2. What was the result of new tools being invented, according to Rousseau?
(b) Violence and death.
(c) Men's interests began to conflict.
(d) Men's interests began to coincide.
3. How does Rousseau think the gods will react to people forming a more perfect union?
(a) They will smile on them.
(b) They will teach them.
(c) They will curse them.
(d) They will bless them.
4. What leads to sex for man, according to Rousseau?
(a) Carnal desire.
(b) Natural sentiment.
5. What did the poor become, according to Rousseau?
6. According to Rousseau, what is the outcome of man's labor?
(b) More greed.
(c) More resources.
(d) Continual suffrage.
7. What was man's first feeling, according to Rousseau?
(b) His existense.
(c) His breath.
(d) Self preservation.
8. What would make property rights equal?
(a) New government.
(b) New leadership.
(d) If human talents were equal.
9. What does Rousseau compare in his illustration in "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix"?
(a) The modern woman to the savage man.
(b) The modern man to the savage man.
(c) Governmental rule and religious rule.
(d) Modern time to prehistoric time.
10. According to Rousseau, what is the savage man of nature focused on?
(a) Self preservation.
(b) Self knowledge.
(c) Arts and sciences.
11. When does Rousseau believe inequality came?
(a) When people desire power.
(b) When democracy was strongest.
(c) When democracy was weakest.
(d) When people noticed power.
12. According to Rousseau, what does moral inequality clash with?
(a) Natural right.
(b) Human law.
(c) Human rights.
(d) Natural law.
13. What is a natural virtue considered to be, according to Rousseau?
14. According to Rousseau, what is the natural or physical inequality established by?
15. What does Rousseau mention men differ in as common character starts to develop within the human?
(a) Wealth only.
(b) Beauty and wealth.
(c) Beauty and talent.
(d) Wealth and beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grew when the family grew, according to Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau feel happens to the state as a result of luxury development?
3. Where does Rousseau believe speech arose from?
4. What does Rousseau believe government did NOT evolve from?
5. What is human understanding rooted in, according to Rousseau?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)