|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final stage of maturation of inequality, according to "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two"?
2. What do men have that can be combined, according to Rousseau?
(a) Ideas and desires.
(b) Fears and wants.
(c) Senses and fears.
(d) Ideas and senses.
3. How does Rousseau see the state of man in "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix"?
(b) Happy and natural.
4. What does Rousseau believe helped man use nature?
(c) Natural reason.
(d) Free will.
5. When does Rousseau believe inequality came?
(a) When democracy was strongest.
(b) When democracy was weakest.
(c) When people desire power.
(d) When people noticed power.
6. What do men learn to repress as a result of jealousy, according to Rousseau?
(a) Their natural emotions.
(b) Their irrational emotions.
(c) Their overall emotions.
(d) Their heated emotions.
7. What is a natural virtue considered to be, according to Rousseau?
8. What does natural inequality produce, according to Rousseau?
(a) Economic inequality.
(b) Personal inequality.
(c) National inequliaty.
(d) State inequalitry.
9. What does Rousseau believe divides a repressed man?
(a) Instinct and reflex.
(b) Reflex and emotions.
(c) Amore-propre and primitive emotions.
(d) Carnal and natural desire.
10. Which of the following was NOT mentioned being a result of luxury?
(a) Mechanical arts.
11. What leads to sex for man, according to Rousseau?
(a) Natural sentiment.
(d) Carnal desire.
12. What can society no longer exist on after luxury is introduced, according to Rousseau?
(b) Private income.
(c) Peaceful existence.
(d) Plants and acorns.
13. According to Rousseau, what does moral inequality clash with?
(a) Human law.
(b) Natural right.
(c) Human rights.
(d) Natural law.
14. What does Rousseau feel differing forms of government result in?
(a) Different outlooks.
(b) Different desires.
(c) Different motivators.
(d) Different levels of inequality.
15. What led to government through a non moral process?
(a) The weak ignored their control.
(b) The weak defeated themselves.
(c) The strong opressed the weak.
(d) The strong helped the weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau mention men differ in as common character starts to develop within the human?
2. According to Rousseau, who destroyed human compassion?
3. What happened as words grew in number?
4. What does Rousseau believe government did NOT evolve from?
5. Where does Rousseau question language evolved from?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)