|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is much disagreement made over, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
(a) The evolution of greed.
(b) The nature of greed.
(c) The evolution of man.
(d) The nature of man.
2. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
3. What does Rousseau argue that men with talent should do?
(a) Reap glory and remain obscure.
(b) Show compassion.
(c) Live in exile.
(d) Be humble.
4. What does Rousseau consider to see if the contradiction he found was true?
(a) The church.
(b) The government.
(c) The wealth of the state.
(d) The arts and sciences.
5. Why does Rousseau believe the arts and sciences are responsible for the fall and collapse of human's morality?
(a) They corrupt human thought.
(b) The improve well roundedness.
(c) They negate human reason.
(d) They corrupt human importance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of government worries Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau say the size of the state should be in order to propose laws freely?
3. What does amore-propre preserve?
4. What type of rights does Rousseau want the cities in his State to have?
5. What do humans owe many of their ideas to?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)