|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say the size of the state should be in order to propose laws freely?
2. What does Rousseau consider to see if the contradiction he found was true?
(a) The church.
(b) The government.
(c) The wealth of the state.
(d) The arts and sciences.
3. What does Rousseau believe ensures wicked doctrines corrupting life forever?
(b) Art and artists.
(d) The printing press.
4. What would make an artist sad according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(a) If art was banished.
(b) If art was deemed evil.
(c) If no art was made.
(d) If no one cared for art.
5. What does Rousseau believe divides a repressed man?
(a) Amore-propre and primitive emotions.
(b) Carnal and natural desire.
(c) Reflex and emotions.
(d) Instinct and reflex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can only be brought about by ignorance given its results according to Rousseau?
2. What is true philosophy, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
3. What makes motives hard to discern in the modern age, according to Rousseau?
4. According to Rousseau, what led to the degeneration of society?
5. What does Rousseau want all individuals to have love for?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)