|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau think the government and society can have?
(a) Opposing goals.
(b) Opposing interests,
(c) The same beliefs.
(d) The game goals.
2. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
(a) The public rejected it.
(c) The public embraced it.
(d) It stifled mans' original liberty and caused people to love their slavery.
3. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
4. According to Rousseau, what ancient thinker praised ignorance?
5. What does Rousseau believe is the reason men now live apart?
(a) To have more land.
(b) To hide their wickedness.
(c) Secrecy is best.
(d) To keep their personal secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
2. What is true philosophy, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
3. Who is Rousseau saddened by in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
4. What should mans' response to the effects of art and science on society be, as described by Rousseau?
5. What created ethics according to Rousseau?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)