|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
(c) The arts.
(d) The sciences.
2. What would make an artist sad according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(a) If art was deemed evil.
(b) If no art was made.
(c) If art was banished.
(d) If no one cared for art.
3. What does Rousseau say wise men do not chase?
4. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
(a) The public embraced it.
(b) The public rejected it.
(c) It stifled mans' original liberty and caused people to love their slavery.
5. What does Rousseau believe is the reason men now live apart?
(a) Secrecy is best.
(b) To hide their wickedness.
(c) To keep their personal secrets.
(d) To have more land.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
2. What do people seek that do not exist, according to Rousseau at the end of Chapter 2, "A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
3. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
4. What does Rousseau's "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" discuss about the correlation between the restoration of the arts and sciences and morality?
5. How did Rousseau feel men treated morality before art?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)