|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the state of France, according to Rousseau, as a result of the introduction of the arts and sciences?
(a) The needed the arts and sciences.
(b) The arts and sciences were only a luxury.
(c) They discovered that they were better off in their ignorance.
(d) The arts and sciences were a detrimental luxury.
2. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(b) Moral corruption.
3. Who does Rousseau think promulgates wicked doctrines?
4. What does Rousseau see as possibly contradictory in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I"?
(a) Learning and ignorance.
(b) Virtue and learning.
(c) Morality and learning.
(d) Virtue and morality.
5. What civilizations does Rousseau follow to track the decline of morality?
(a) The English and Greeks.
(b) The Romans and Germans.
(c) The Germans and Irish.
(d) The Romans and Greeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rousseau believe the arts and sciences are responsible for the fall and collapse of human's morality?
2. What does Rousseau believe is an artist's greatest compensation for his labor?
3. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
4. Which other civilizations were NOT mentioned by Rousseau as being impacted by the progress of art?
5. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)