|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which other civilizations were NOT mentioned by Rousseau as being impacted by the progress of art?
(c) Ancient Egypt.
2. What did some individuals grow rich enough for as a result of inventions?
3. What was the state of France, according to Rousseau, as a result of the introduction of the arts and sciences?
(a) They discovered that they were better off in their ignorance.
(b) The arts and sciences were a detrimental luxury.
(c) The arts and sciences were only a luxury.
(d) The needed the arts and sciences.
4. According to Rousseau, what do passions allow for the human?
(a) Fears and dreams.
(d) Improvement of reason.
5. What does Rousseau argue about the discovery of the nature man?
(a) There is direct evidence.
(b) It is odd and perplexing.
(c) It is natural and innate.
(d) There is no direct evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau believe is an artist's greatest compensation for his labor?
2. What created ethics according to Rousseau?
3. What is human understanding rooted in, according to Rousseau?
4. What does "A Discourse on Inequality" of Rousseau's focus on aside from morality?
5. According to Rousseau, why does science lead to war?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)