|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
(a) It stifled mans' original liberty and caused people to love their slavery.
(b) The public embraced it.
(d) The public rejected it.
2. Mankind's new period of reason is a transition from what age according to Rousseau?
(a) Europe's fall of empire.
(b) America's industrialism.
(c) Europe's barbarism.
(d) Rome's fall of empire.
3. What do people seek that do not exist, according to Rousseau at the end of Chapter 2, "A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
4. According to "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" how were humans more secure in earlier societies?
(a) They weren't more secure.
(b) They could "see through" one another.
(c) They had no pretentions.
(d) No one was deemed better or worse than another.
5. What does inequality cheapen according to Rousseau?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau believe is an artist's greatest compensation for his labor?
2. Who does Rousseau think promulgates wicked doctrines?
3. What does Rousseau consider to see if the contradiction he found was true?
4. What is Rousseau's biggest worry when discussing the correlation between the restoration of the arts and sciences in?
5. Which was NOT a result in France from leaving behind ignorance?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)