|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
2. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
(b) The sciences.
(c) The arts.
3. According to Rousseau, what led to the degeneration of society?
(a) The progress of art.
(b) The establishment of talent.
(c) The establishment of beauty.
(d) The progress of talent.
4. What does Rousseau's "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" discuss about the correlation between the restoration of the arts and sciences and morality?
(a) How morality and corruption affect one another.
(b) If morality purifies science.
(c) If corruption negates artistic quality.
(d) If morality is purified or corrupted by arts and science.
5. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
(b) The public embraced it.
(c) It stifled mans' original liberty and caused people to love their slavery.
(d) The public rejected it.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rousseau, why does science lead to war?
2. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
3. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
4. Describe what Rousseau felt the following did NOT do for human morals in regard to the arts and sciences.?
5. What does the dissolution of morality follow according to Rousseau?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)