|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rousseau, what led to the degeneration of society?
(a) The establishment of talent.
(b) The establishment of beauty.
(c) The progress of art.
(d) The progress of talent.
2. What civilizations does Rousseau follow to track the decline of morality?
(a) The Romans and Germans.
(b) The Romans and Greeks.
(c) The Germans and Irish.
(d) The English and Greeks.
3. What do people seek that do not exist, according to Rousseau at the end of Chapter 2, "A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
4. According to Rousseau, why does science lead to war?
(a) It produces better weapons.
(b) It gives knowledge.
(c) It allows plan of attacks.
(d) It enables the desire of revenge.
5. What is true philosophy, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(a) Knowing how to act.
(b) Knowing consequence.
(c) Knowing power.
(d) Knowing how to speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was NOT a result in France from leaving behind ignorance?
2. What does Rousseau believe would return humans to the original state of society?
3. What does Rousseau see as possibly contradictory in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I"?
4. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
5. What does Rousseau say wise men do not chase?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)