|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau write was required in order to reach a new period of reason?
(a) A new period of desire.
(b) The ability to forgive.
(c) A period of art.
(d) A revolution.
2. What does Rousseau believe happens with the more a human knows?
(a) Less time for mischief.
(b) More time to want greed.
(c) More time for mischief.
(d) More time to discuss topics.
3. What did Rousseau believe created physics?
4. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
5. What does Rousseau argue at the beginning of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(a) Many civilizations believe that science arose from an enemy of humanity.
(b) That the arts are corrupt.
(c) Many civilizations believe that art arose from an enemy of humanity.
(d) That the government is corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has added little to happiness in humans, according to Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau argue that men with talent should do?
3. What makes motives hard to discern in the modern age, according to Rousseau?
4. How are virtue and learning related according to "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I"?
5. What does Rousseau believe is the reason men now live apart?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)