|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rousseau, what led to the degeneration of society?
(a) The progress of talent.
(b) The establishment of beauty.
(c) The establishment of talent.
(d) The progress of art.
2. What does Rousseau understand about the idleness in children?
(a) It's necessary.
(b) It allows growth.
(c) It's evil.
(d) It's a good thing.
3. According to Rousseau, what ancient thinker praised ignorance?
4. What is the abuse of morality generated by, according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(a) The growth of social classes.
(b) The growth of desire.
(c) The use of science.
(d) The growth of inequality between men.
5. What should society teach men to do instead of pursuing virtue, according to Rousseau?
(a) To love.
(b) Their role.
(c) To be humble.
(d) Their duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
2. What does inequality cheapen according to Rousseau?
3. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
4. According to Rousseau, in the revival, the arts and sciences existed under what entities?
5. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)