|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Rousseau first figure out before writing "A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality"?
(a) History of humans.
(b) The nature of humans.
(c) The nature of civilization.
(d) History of greed.
2. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
(a) To be controlled.
(b) So they can hide their motives and suppress them.
(c) To feel control.
(d) He doesn't think they lie.
3. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(c) Moral corruption.
4. What does nature tell humans?
(a) Preserve his strength.
(b) Be kind.
(c) Preserve the land.
(d) Do good for himself.
5. What type of rights does Rousseau want the cities in his State to have?
(a) To make laws.
(b) To make war.
(c) To make peace.
(d) To vote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to government through a non moral process?
2. Where did Rousseau analyze the effects of the arts and sciences on at the end of "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences. Part 1"?
3. According to Rousseau, what ancient thinker praised ignorance?
4. How does Rousseau believe men should feel at the state of leaving ignorance?
5. What is much disagreement made over, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)