|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau's "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" discuss about the correlation between the restoration of the arts and sciences and morality?
(a) If morality purifies science.
(b) If morality is purified or corrupted by arts and science.
(c) If corruption negates artistic quality.
(d) How morality and corruption affect one another.
2. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
(a) He doesn't think they lie.
(b) To be controlled.
(c) To feel control.
(d) So they can hide their motives and suppress them.
3. What does Rousseau believe is the reason men now live apart?
(a) To have more land.
(b) To keep their personal secrets.
(c) Secrecy is best.
(d) To hide their wickedness.
4. According to Rousseau, what is the savage man of nature focused on?
(b) Self preservation.
(c) Arts and sciences.
(d) Self knowledge.
5. How do modern centuries see natural law?
(a) Understood rules.
(b) Rules given to men, given to themselves.
(c) Accepted societal behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rousseau, what do men have that is difficult to control?
2. What does inequality cheapen according to Rousseau?
3. Describe what Rousseau felt the following did NOT do for human morals in regard to the arts and sciences.?
4. What does nature tell humans?
5. What does Rousseau want all individuals to have love for?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)