|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
2. How does Merlyn's aunt react when she sees him in Chapter 4?
3. For whom do Merlyn and Ambrose plan an elaborate funeral in Chapter 8?
4. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
5. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
4. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
5. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
6. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
7. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
8. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
9. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
10. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Merlyn and Ambrose. How are they similar? How are they different? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text, such as examples and quotations, to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)