|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
2. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he sides with the North.
(b) Because he owns slaves.
(c) Because he is an abolitionist.
(d) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
3. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He sells him.
(b) He locks him in the cellar.
(c) He ties him up.
(d) He whips him.
4. Where is Marguerite living in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) Dominican Republic.
(c) New York.
(d) Nassau, the Bahamas.
5. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
(a) Samuel Gatewood.
(c) The warden and his wife.
(d) Uther Botkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
2. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
3. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
4. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
5. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
2. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
3. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
4. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
5. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
6. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
7. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
8. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
9. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
10. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)