|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what decade did Henry VIII reject the Papal authority?
(a) The 1490s.
(b) The 1620s.
(c) The 1550s.
(d) The 1530s.
2. The ancient Babylonians are credited with the creation of what calculation tool?
(a) The abacus.
(b) The calculator.
(c) The computer.
(d) The stick-stone.
3. The author states in Chapter 3, “Nothing Ventured” that for the Indians, numerals without geometric significance gave birth to what field of mathematics?
(c) Quantum mechanics.
4. How many minutes made up an hour in the ancient Greek system?
5. What was the Pythagorean cult’s most sacred symbol because it contained the golden ratio?
(a) The diamond.
(b) The hexagram.
(c) The pentagram.
(d) The sphere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Any number multiplied by zero equals what?
2. What word did the Arabs use for zero during Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Khwarizmi’s time?
3. The Italian word “zefiro,” meaning “west wind” derived from what Latin and Greek word?
4. Pythagoreanism developed into two separate schools of thought. What group was called “the learners” in Greek?
5. When did the Protestant Reformation begin?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)