|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter VIII emphasize?
2. In the lectures about the meaning of truth, what does Lecture VIII critique?
3. What is addressed in Chapter III?
4. James claims that it is difficult to imagine a world without the need for which of the following?
5. What does James say about his philosophy compared to the philosophy of the subject in "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James say about Emerson?
2. What does James believe a good education is?
3. What is Lecture III about?
4. What does James discuss in Chapter V?
5. What is PhD Octopus about?
6. What is significant to note about the essay topics James chooses?
7. What is Lecture IX about?
8. What is Lecture VIII about?
9. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
10. What is Lecture I about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James respond to criticisms? Is he effective at responding to his critics? Does he respond in a humble manner? Are his responses effective at providing support for his own arguments?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the appendix serve? What can the reader learn from the appendix? What makes the appendix necessary or simply supplemental?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the emphasis that James places on education. What does James say about education and knowledge? What are the benefits of education that he explains? What does this tell you about James' purpose in sharing his work with the reader?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)