|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James discuss in Chapter V?
2. What is the name of the theory James describes as believing that time is always coming in small drops?
3. What is the first aspect of the truth that James points out?
4. Who does James focus on in Chapter II?
5. What is PhD Octopus about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lecture VIII about?
2. What does James discuss in Chapter V?
3. What does James discuss in Chapter II about metaphysics?
4. What does James discuss in Chapter IV about direct experience?
5. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
6. What does James believe a good education is?
7. What is Lecture II about?
8. What are the virtues of pluralism that James discusses?
9. What does James say about Blood?
10. What does James say about Emerson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe James' attempt to address challenges posed to his philosophies and ideas. What challenges is he effective at addressing? Does he solve any problems? What is the purpose of mentioning the challenges?
Essay Topic 2
What difference does James assert between precepts and concepts? How are precepts and concepts similar? How are they used?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Royce and Bergson. What do they believe about empiricism? Ignorance? Attention? Life? Experience?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)