|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James believe people tend to do with the truth?
2. What fellow empiricist does James claim to sympathize with most?
3. James gave an address to the alumni of ______________.
4. What does James say about his philosophy compared to the philosophy of the subject in "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
5. The challenges of what kind of problems does James present in Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the virtues of pluralism that James discusses?
2. What does James discuss in Chapter II about metaphysics?
3. What does James say about war? Do you agree?
4. What is Lecture I about?
5. What does James say about Emerson?
6. What is Lecture II about?
7. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
8. What is Lecture VIII about?
9. What is Lecture IV about?
10. What is PhD Octopus about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the titles that are used for each lecture, chapter, and essay? What impression do they leave the reader with before reading? Analyze at least two specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What are the virtues of pluralism that James emphasizes? Describe each virtue and give an example of each. Then explain how these virtues are significant to understand James' broader philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
How significant is the truth to James? What does James say about truth? What specifications does James attribute to absolute truth and honesty? Does James think truth is necessary? How does he perceive humanity as responding to truth?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)