|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does James focus on in Chapter II?
2. What does James describe as being a sudden and great extension of the field of consciousness?
3. What challenging research does James address in a short story?
4. According to James, monism does not allow for what kind of consciousness?
5. Lecture XII is a response to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lecture III about?
2. What does James discuss in Chapter IV about direct experience?
3. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
4. What is Lecture VIII about?
5. What is Lecture II about?
6. What is significant to note about the essay topics James chooses?
7. What is PhD Octopus about?
8. What does James say about war? Do you agree?
9. What are the virtues of pluralism that James discusses?
10. What is Lecture IV about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does James structure the book by including lectures in this particular order? Why does he include lectures and essays individually instead of combining all these thoughts together? What impact does this outline have on the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 2
How significant is the truth to James? What does James say about truth? What specifications does James attribute to absolute truth and honesty? Does James think truth is necessary? How does he perceive humanity as responding to truth?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the titles that are used for each lecture, chapter, and essay? What impression do they leave the reader with before reading? Analyze at least two specific examples.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)