|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does James focus on in Chapter II?
2. What term is defined as the function of consciousness?
3. What is the name of the subject of "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
4. What does James describe as the first virtue of pluralism?
5. What is the second aspect of the truth that James points out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James say about Blood?
2. What does James say about Emerson?
3. What is Lecture VIII about?
4. What is Lecture XI about?
5. What is Lecture IV about?
6. What is the Philippine Address about?
7. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
8. What is PhD Octopus about?
9. What is Lecture IX about?
10. What does James discuss in Chapter V?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James respond to criticisms? Is he effective at responding to his critics? Does he respond in a humble manner? Are his responses effective at providing support for his own arguments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the emphasis that James places on education. What does James say about education and knowledge? What are the benefits of education that he explains? What does this tell you about James' purpose in sharing his work with the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Why does James describe two different ways of examining "To You" by Walt Whitman? Describe each of these methods.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)