|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James says that for a man to experience the divine, what must he let go?
2. James states purity arises from a sense of sensitivity to _________.
3. What is the second sub-category of spiritualism, according to James?
(a) Inductive theism.
(b) Monistic theism.
(d) Dualistic theism.
4. What term does James describe as being a mental mode of adaptation to reality?
(a) Common sense.
5. James believes the salvation approach relies on what kind of experience?
Short Answer Questions
1. In excess, what does James assert that virtue becomes?
2. James identifies the difference between those who are saintly and those who are not as which of the following?
3. What word does James associate with prayer?
4. What does James identify as a "sick soul"?
5. According to James, 'each' and 'whole' are levels of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to James, what is inquiry designed for?
2. How is James' concept of philosophy different from your own?
3. According to James, what drives human behavior?
4. What is the determinist stance?
5. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
6. What are James' essential elements to religion?
7. What assertions does James make about ignorance?
8. What is healthy-mindedness?
9. Why does James claim that theism is unsatisfactory?
10. What is pluralism?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)