Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe ineffability?
(a) The inability to express charity.
(b) The inability to express experience.
(c) The inability to express ascetism.
(d) The inability to express virtue.
2. What position does James say is the 'all-form'?
3. What is the concept called where one believes that everything has an opposite that is negated?
4. How does James describe Josiah Royce's approach?
5. What religion does James say relies on elaborate ceremony and hierarchy?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to James, noetic pluralism indicates which of the following?
2. James believes the salvation approach relies on what kind of experience?
3. James suggests the naturalist approach consists of living __________.
4. In Lecture II, James outlines the meaning of ______________.
5. What is the view that salvation is neither impossible nor inevitable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the virtues of pluralism that James discusses?
2. What information about Bergson does James want the reader to take note of?
3. What assertions does James make about ignorance?
4. What are the qualities of saintliness which James defines?
5. What does James says beliefs are based on? Do you agree?
6. What is Lecture IV about?
7. What is PhD Octopus about?
8. How does James describe reasoning as a part of empiricism?
9. What is the determinist stance?
10. What does James discuss in Chapter I about the importance of philosophy?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)