|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James, which of the following is not an essential element to religion?
2. What position does James describe as being based on facts and pessimism?
3. How does James describe ineffability?
(a) The inability to express ascetism.
(b) The inability to express virtue.
(c) The inability to express experience.
(d) The inability to express charity.
4. Royce says that limits for which group are a result of only a piece of absolute will?
5. James says that for an instantaneous conversion, it is necessary for a person to know which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of god does James find in the all-form?
2. What term does James define as an idea's argument with reality?
3. Which statement is true about James' thoughts on experiences?
4. James says that limitations in will cause which of the following?
5. Which of the following does James not identify as a quality of saintliness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does noetic pluralism indicate to James?
2. For a man to experience the divine, what does James insist he must do?
3. According to James, what is inquiry designed for?
4. What are James' thoughts about suicide?
5. What does James say that truth is for pragmatists?
6. Why does James mention Hegel?
7. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
8. What is the rationalist position?
9. What is the determinist stance?
10. Describe the pragmatic and pluralistic way of looking at "To You."
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)