|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does James state lacks intimacy?
2. James suggests the naturalist approach consists of living __________.
3. In excess, what does James assert that virtue becomes?
(a) A vice.
(b) A religious obligation.
(d) A moral obligation.
4. James holds that in which stance does the mind makes connections between ideas that are just as valid as other truths?
(a) Conservative empiricism.
(b) Conservative rationalism.
(c) Radical rationalism.
(d) Radical empiricism.
5. Royce says that limits for which group are a result of only a piece of absolute will?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does James describe as being a mental mode of adaptation to reality?
2. In determinist stance, James describes superhuman as which of the following?
3. According to James, noetic pluralism indicates which of the following?
4. What type of unity does James define as being the relationship of things that seem to tell a story together?
5. What is the view that salvation is neither impossible nor inevitable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are James' thoughts about suicide?
2. What information about Bergson does James want the reader to take note of?
3. Why does James believe that religion should be based on an individual level?
4. What is common sense as James sees it? Do you agree?
5. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
6. Describe the pragmatic and pluralistic way of looking at "To You."
7. What is radical empiricism?
8. Describe Fechner's approach to philosophy.
9. What does James say that truth is for pragmatists?
10. What is pluralism?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)