|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James associates Charles Pierce with what concept?
2. What does James attribute to using parts to explain wholes?
3. What word does James associate with prayer?
4. What does James believe to be the prevalence of one set of ideas?
5. Which of the following does James not identify as a quality of saintliness?
(a) Strength of the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James identify as the "fruits" of religion?
2. James describes the parts of the universe as being which of the following?
3. According to James, what is within the realm of sensory experience prior to cognition?
4. Fechner believed that consciousness is based on which of the following?
5. According to James, there are two ways of looking at the whole of the universe. What are these ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
2. What does James say about other theorists and their experiences?
3. Describe the pragmatic and pluralistic way of looking at "To You."
4. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
5. How does James define the results of excess?
6. Why does James claim that theism is unsatisfactory?
7. Why does James believe that religion should be based on an individual level?
8. How does James designate the difference between those who are saintly and those who are not?
9. Why does James mention Hegel?
10. What is pluralism?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)