|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lecture II, James outlines the meaning of ______________.
2. The first lens James describes that is used for seeing the world is which of the following?
3. James asserts that inquiry is first designed to evaluate which of the following?
(a) The essential nature of a thing.
(b) The darkness of deep depression.
(c) The absence of something.
(d) The lack of happiness in a person.
4. What kind of god does James find in the all-form?
5. What position does James say is the 'all-form'?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fechner believed that consciousness is based on which of the following?
2. Who believed that inclusive forms of consciousness are partly generated by less inclusive forms?
3. Lecture VIII relates pragmatism to which concept?
4. James believes the salvation approach relies on what kind of experience?
5. James identifies a substance through which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the determinist stance?
2. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
3. Describe the pragmatic and pluralistic way of looking at "To You."
4. How does James define religion?
5. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
6. What assertions does James make about ignorance?
7. According to James, what is inquiry designed for?
8. Why does James mention Hegel?
9. What is significant to note about the essay topics James chooses?
10. Describe Fechner's approach to philosophy.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)