|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James describe as occurring when the whole changes all things contained within it must also change as a singular act?
(a) Singular operation.
(b) Logical operation.
(c) Inductive reasoning.
(d) Immanent operation.
2. What does James use as an example to explain the significance of substance?
(a) Christian church.
(c) Jewish temple.
3. Who says that concepts freeze movement?
4. James suggests the naturalist approach consists of living __________.
5. Royce says that limits for which group are a result of only a piece of absolute will?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James identify as a "sick soul"?
2. What is the first sub-category of spiritualism that James discusses?
3. What position does James describe as being based on facts and pessimism?
4. What is the view that salvation of the world is not possible?
5. In excess, what does James believe devoutness becomes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the types of unity that James describes?
2. Why does James mention Hegel?
3. What is the rationalist position?
4. How is James' concept of philosophy different from your own?
5. What is the empiricist position?
6. Why does James believe that religion should be based on an individual level?
7. Describe Fechner's approach to philosophy.
8. Why does James claim that theism is unsatisfactory?
9. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
10. For a man to experience the divine, what does James insist he must do?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)