|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the lectures about the meaning of truth, what does Lecture VIII critique?
2. Why does James say that feelings are important?
(a) They are signs of consciousness.
(b) They are signs of intelligence.
(c) They are responses to action.
(d) They are direct percepts of the world.
3. Whom does James respond to in "Is Radical Empiricism Solipsistic"?
4. What does James describe as being a sudden and great extension of the field of consciousness?
(a) Enahnces states.
(b) Biological states.
(c) Mystical states.
(d) Psychological states.
5. James claims that the belief in absolute negates the need for which of the following?
(b) Common sense.
6. What stance does the Philippine address defend?
7. What does "Answers to a Questionnaire" address?
(b) Personal beliefs.
8. What does James believe people tend to do with the truth?
(a) Spend it.
(b) Neglect it.
(c) Optimize it.
(d) Conserve it.
9. Lecture XII is a response to which of the following?
(a) Assertions of faith.
(b) Herbert's criticism.
(c) Shakespeare's work.
(d) Connotation and denotation.
10. Who stated that infinity defies enumeration?
11. Chapter XII describes the relationship between novelty and what other quality?
12. What is the first aspect of the truth that James points out?
13. What does James address in Chapter IV?
(a) Metaphysical problems.
(b) Direct experience.
(c) Discrete concepts.
(d) Continous percepts.
14. What is the name of the subject of "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
15. In the lectures about the meaning of truth, what does Lecture I relate to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept does the story about the Philippine address discuss?
2. Critics of pragmatism assert that pragmatism is a revision of which stance?
3. What does James describe as the third virtue of pluralism?
4. In the story about the earthquake, James focuses on what part of the experience?
5. What adjective does James use to describe concepts?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)