|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does James attribute to the love of wisdom?
2. Chapter X describes the relationship between novelty and _________.
3. What is the second aspect of the truth that James points out?
4. According to James, what is the nature of Dewey's school?
5. Who does James use in Lecture X to illustrate his point clearly?
(b) Henry James.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) William Shakespeare.
6. What challenging research does James address in a short story?
(a) Biological research.
(b) Anatomical research.
(c) Psychical research.
(d) Psychological research.
7. Whom does James respond to in "Humanism and Truth Once More"?
8. What term is defined as the state of consciousness considered subjectively?
9. What does Chapter VIII emphasize?
(a) Positive and negative.
(b) Free will and meliorism.
(c) Discrete and continuous.
(d) Intelligent and ignorant.
10. Critics of pragmatism assert that pragmatism is a revision of which stance?
11. What concept does the story about the Philippine address discuss?
(a) French Imperialism.
(b) American Expansionism.
(c) English Philosophy.
(d) German Expressionism.
12. What does James describe as being a sudden and great extension of the field of consciousness?
(a) Psychological states.
(b) Biological states.
(c) Mystical states.
(d) Enahnces states.
13. What adjective does James use to address precepts?
14. What does James describe as the first virtue of pluralism?
(d) Free will.
15. According to James, monism does not allow for what kind of consciousness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fellow empiricist does James claim to sympathize with most?
2. What topic, in addition to monism, does James discuss in Chapter VII?
3. In the lectures about the meaning of truth, what does Lecture I relate to?
4. According to James, what gives one the ability to know a good man when one sees him?
5. What does James call the conceptual way of knowing something?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)