|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James claim his philosophy requires from followers?
2. Lecture XI discusses which concept?
3. In the story about the earthquake, James focuses on what part of the experience?
(a) Enhanced sensory images.
(b) Credible psychological involvement.
(c) Concrete character.
(d) Simplistic setting.
4. What does James discuss in Chapter V?
(a) The discretion of abuse.
(b) The problems of monism.
(c) The abuse of concepts.
(d) The fulfillment of pluralism.
5. What does James address in Chapter IV?
(a) Continous percepts.
(b) Discrete concepts.
(c) Metaphysical problems.
(d) Direct experience.
6. What adjective does James use to describe concepts?
7. What does Chapter VIII emphasize?
(a) Positive and negative.
(b) Intelligent and ignorant.
(c) Free will and meliorism.
(d) Discrete and continuous.
8. Chapter XII describes the relationship between novelty and what other quality?
9. What does James say about motion, change, and activity?
(a) They are always growing.
(b) They often stop moving forward.
(c) They are all the same.
(d) They are unique to one another.
10. What concept does James say counters the way reality is perceptually experienced?
11. What does James believe people tend to do with the truth?
(a) Spend it.
(b) Neglect it.
(c) Conserve it.
(d) Optimize it.
12. What does "Answers to a Questionnaire" address?
(d) Personal beliefs.
13. What does James call the immediate way of knowing something?
14. What is addressed in Chapter III?
(a) Challenges of continuous percepts.
(b) Challenges of meaning.
(c) Challenges of metaphysical beings.
(d) Challenges of addressing being.
15. What term does James attribute to the love of wisdom?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to James, what can be an object for several minds?
2. "Answers to a Questionnaire" responds to which person?
3. What role does James attribute to being the point of beginning for the meaning of truth?
4. What does James say about his philosophy compared to the philosophy of the subject in "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
5. Critics of pragmatism assert that pragmatism is a revision of which stance?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)