|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Critics of pragmatism assert that pragmatism is a revision of which stance?
2. Critics of pragmatism assert that pragmatism is a revision of which concept?
(a) Lack of action.
(c) Call to action.
3. What does James believe people tend to do with the truth?
(a) Spend it.
(b) Optimize it.
(c) Neglect it.
(d) Conserve it.
4. What does James say about his philosophy compared to the philosophy of the subject in "A Pluralistic Mystic"?
(a) Their philosophies are very similar.
(b) They share a common foundation.
(c) They share the same inspiration but still differ in other ways.
(d) Their philosophies are quite different.
5. What is the second aspect of the truth that James points out?
6. What does James address in Chapter IV?
(a) Continous percepts.
(b) Direct experience.
(c) Metaphysical problems.
(d) Discrete concepts.
7. What does James attribute to determining response actions?
8. According to James, what can be an object for several minds?
9. What role does James attribute to being the point of beginning for the meaning of truth?
10. James gave an address to the alumni of ______________.
(d) Long Beach.
11. What does Chapter VIII emphasize?
(a) Discrete and continuous.
(b) Intelligent and ignorant.
(c) Free will and meliorism.
(d) Positive and negative.
12. What is the first aspect of the truth that James points out?
13. Lecture XI discusses which concept?
14. What is addressed in Chapter III?
(a) Challenges of metaphysical beings.
(b) Challenges of addressing being.
(c) Challenges of continuous percepts.
(d) Challenges of meaning.
15. What challenging research does James address in a short story?
(a) Anatomical research.
(b) Psychological research.
(c) Biological research.
(d) Psychical research.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James describe as the second virtue of pluralism?
2. What is Lecture II of the meaning of truth lectures about?
3. What does "Answers to a Questionnaire" address?
4. Chapter X describes the relationship between novelty and _________.
5. What does James describe as the first virtue of pluralism?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)