|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What viewpoint does James believe tends to retreat and accommodate?
2. Which statement is true about James' thoughts on experiences?
(a) They all revolve around theism.
(b) They are all related to empiricism.
(c) They are all related to each other.
(d) They are all related to determinism.
3. How does James describe noetic quality?
(a) New virtues.
(b) New knowledge.
(c) New morals.
(d) New happiness.
4. What word does James associate with prayer?
5. What is the concept called where one believes that everything has an opposite that is negated?
6. What kind of god does James find in the all-form?
7. James holds that activity is evidenced by which of the following?
8. What viewpoint does James attribute to being aggressive and radical?
9. What do Lectures XVI and XVII outline?
(a) Aspects of fanaticism.
(b) Aspects of charity.
(c) Aspects of mystical experience.
(d) Aspects of ascetism.
10. What type of unity does James describe as a preceding event causing a following event?
11. James states that which viewpoint is the process for determining truth?
12. Lecture VII relates which of the following to pragmatism?
13. Fechner's faith saved him from which of the following, according to James?
14. According to James, religion cannot exist on which of the following?
(a) Moral thought.
(b) Rational thought.
(c) Irrational thought.
(d) Immoral thought.
15. What position does James say is the 'all-form'?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of unity does James define as being the relationship of things that seem to tell a story together?
2. James says that for a man to experience the divine, what must he let go?
3. What position does James attribute to being the 'each-form'?
4. According to James, which of the following is not an essential element to religion?
5. In determinist stance, James describes superhuman as which of the following?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)