|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Varieties of Religious Experience Section 2 (Lectures XI-Postcript).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In excess, what does James assert that virtue becomes?
(a) A religious obligation.
(c) A moral obligation.
(d) A vice.
2. James claims that religion is in line with which of the following?
(a) Moral simplicity.
(b) Individual simplicity.
3. James asserts that inquiry is secondly designed to evaluate which of the following?
(a) The motivation one person has to change.
(b) The decision one makes to become happy.
(c) The significance of a person.
(d) The meaning or importance of a thing.
4. According to James, the more dramatic examples of conversion tend to be which of the following?
5. What does James identify as a "sick soul"?
(a) One who has committed a crime.
(b) One who has reached a state of psychological rock-bottom.
(c) One who has made a difficult decision.
(d) One who is psychologicall and emotionally empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe ineffability?
2. What kind of experiences does James say deliver people from the suffering of duality?
3. James says that mystical experience carries a sense of which of the following?
4. James suggests that the experience of evil is necessary from an existential viewpoint to access deep levels of which of the following?
5. James identifies the difference between those who are saintly and those who are not as which of the following?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)