|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chechen independence movement affect Groznyy?
2. Who became the leader of China after Mao died?
3. When did the Qing Dynasty collapse?
4. What country's model should be followed by the U.S. in responding to terrorist attacks, according to de Blij?
5. According to de Blij, what is geographically contentious about Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does de Blij feel so strongly that Americans should be educated about Africa?
2. Why does de Blij quote Napoleon's remark that China was a sleeping giant and that whoever woke it up would regret it?
3. How does the physical geography of Afghanistan make it the perfect place for a terrorist base?
4. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
5. Where do terrorist groups get money to carry out their training, preparations and attacks?
6. Why does de Blij think it will be difficult to convince some Muslim leaders to take a more moderate position?
7. Who is Usama (or Osama) bin Laden?
8. Why did the U.S. invade Iraq, even though Iraq was not connected with the 9/11 attacks?
9. Describe China's Cultural Revolution.
10. Describe the geographic roots of sub-Saharan Africa's isolation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the conditions leading up to the Little Ice Age with conditions present in the world today. Do you think that another Little Ice Age is likely, based on the evidence presented by de Blij? If another Ice Age were to occur, what do you think would be the consequences for humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the AIDS epidemic has affected Africa. At the same time, explain why Americans should be concerned about epidemics in other parts of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Why does de Blij feel that Russia should not be considered part of Europe? Support your answer with evidence from Why Geography Matters.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)