|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the easiest way to trace how terrorist groups get funded?
2. Which part of Africa has been Islamic since the 7th century?
3. What is a fatwa?
4. What three groups fought over China in the early 20th century?
5. What geographic challenges does Russia have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the population distribution of Europe differ from that of the United States?
2. What advantages does Russia have in today's world?
3. How does de Blij think that the United States could avoid another Cold War?
4. How did European actions produce havoc in Africa?
5. Where do terrorist groups get money to carry out their training, preparations and attacks?
6. Who is Usama (or Osama) bin Laden?
7. What kinds of places do terrorists thrive in?
8. Why does de Blij think it will be difficult to convince some Muslim leaders to take a more moderate position?
9. Why does de Blij say that Chinese nationalists see the U.S. as arrogant?
10. What are some different definitions of terrorism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the theories put forward by geographers H.J. Mackinder and N.J. Spykman.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Europe and the United States contributed to Africa's decline in the modern age.
Essay Topic 3
Does de Blij agree with the U.S. decision to invade Iraq? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from Why Geography Matters.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)