|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did China change after Mao's death?
2. What happened in Russia in the year 2000 that de Blij says was previously unimaginable?
3. Who was Shamil Basayev?
4. What organization binds the United States and Europe together?
5. What changes does de Blij suggest show that the European Union may eventually form one nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What areas of the globe have become hubs for terrorist activity?
2. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
3. What kinds of places do terrorists thrive in?
4. Why did the U.S. invade Iraq, even though Iraq was not connected with the 9/11 attacks?
5. What long-standing dispute does Russia have with Japan?
6. What is supranationalism? Give some examples of supranational organizations.
7. How does de Blij think that the United States could avoid another Cold War?
8. Describe China's Cultural Revolution.
9. Describe the geographic roots of sub-Saharan Africa's isolation.
10. Why is sub-Saharan Africa a ripe breeding ground for Islamic fundamentalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does population growth vary from one country to another around the globe? In broad strokes, sketch out the differences in population growth between regions.
Essay Topic 2
Why does geography matter? Write an essay explaining how de Blij answers this question.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Europe and the United States contributed to Africa's decline in the modern age.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)