|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to de Blij, what is geographically contentious about Europe?
2. What is a fatwa?
3. Which of the following cities is a popular haven for terrorists?
4. What is the world's largest country in terms of territory?
5. Why were many Americans shocked when Nixon went to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What areas of the globe have become hubs for terrorist activity?
2. What is supranationalism? Give some examples of supranational organizations.
3. How did European actions produce havoc in Africa?
4. Why does de Blij think it will be difficult to convince some Muslim leaders to take a more moderate position?
5. What kinds of places do terrorists thrive in?
6. Describe Russia's geographic advantages and disadvantages.
7. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
8. How does de Blij think that the United States could avoid another Cold War?
9. Why is sub-Saharan Africa a ripe breeding ground for Islamic fundamentalism?
10. Who is Usama (or Osama) bin Laden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can maps reflect the biases of the cartographer(s)? How might politicians use maps to achieve their own goals?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the connection between climate change and the epidemic of bubonic plague that devastated Europe in the 1400s.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why many people in the Islamic world resent the West.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)