|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event became known in China as the "Great Leap Forward"?
(a) The campaign against Confucianism.
(b) Collectivization of farms.
(c) Implementation of the one family, one child policy.
(d) The invasion of Tibet.
2. In which of the following nations is terrorism likely to thrive, according to de Blij?
(a) Guatemala and Nicaragua.
(b) China and India.
(c) Somalia and Eritrea.
(d) Spain and Portugal.
3. Why does de Blij feel that it is appropriate to end Why Geography Matters with a chapter on Africa?
(a) Because sub-Saharan Africa has been so geographically isolated.
(b) Because African countries are becoming important economic powers.
(c) Because humanity first evolved in Africa.
(d) Because the world owes a debt to Africa from the time of the slave trade.
4. When did the Qing Dynasty collapse?
(a) In 2000.
(b) In 1911.
(c) In 820.
(d) In 1610.
5. What rationale did Russian President Vladimir Putin give for taking away some rights and freedoms from Russians?
(a) Russia's allies were insisting on the restoration of authoritarian rule.
(b) Russia should cherish its authoritarian roots.
(c) He needed more power in order to restore order.
(d) During the Soviet period, there were no Chechnya-like conflicts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do subsidizing American farmers hurt Africans?
2. Why do many people argue that it is pointless to send foreign aid to Africa?
3. How long has the European unification movement been underway?
4. Why did the battle for Chechen independence become an Islamic terrorist movement?
5. Why did the U.S. support the anti-Soviet rebels in Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does de Blij feel so strongly that Americans should be educated about Africa?
2. How does the physical geography of Afghanistan make it the perfect place for a terrorist base?
3. What problems did the Bolsheviks inherit from the czarist government in Russia?
4. Who is Usama (or Osama) bin Laden?
5. Where do terrorist groups get money to carry out their training, preparations and attacks?
6. What is supranationalism? Give some examples of supranational organizations.
7. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
8. How did European actions produce havoc in Africa?
9. Describe Russia's geographic advantages and disadvantages.
10. Why does de Blij think it will be difficult to convince some Muslim leaders to take a more moderate position?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)