|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes does de Blij suggest show that the European Union may eventually form one nation?
(a) Military alliances and shared weapons and intelligence.
(b) Political statements that show leaders intend to merge all of Europe's countries into one.
(c) Newspapers and bullet trains that link countries and share patrons.
(d) Sharing a currency and allowing travelers to cross borders without documentation.
2. What was the Marshall Plan?
(a) A plan for Western European countries to be rebuilt with U.S. aid.
(b) A plan for connecting all of Europe as one big country.
(c) A plan for defeating communism in Eastern Europe.
(d) A plan for European countries to agree never to go to war again.
3. What is the world's largest country in terms of territory?
4. How does de Blij think that the U.S. should react to terrorist attacks on airplanes?
(a) Ground all planes and institute stricter security measures after each attack.
(b) Stop allowing people from other countries to enter the United States.
(c) Resume normal operations as quickly as possible after an attack.
(d) Require all American passengers to carry passports with them at all times.
5. What other country supported the mujahideen in Afghanistan?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many people argue that it is pointless to send foreign aid to Africa?
2. Why did many observers argue that Turkey should be allowed to join the European Union?
3. How does the Chechen independence movement affect Groznyy?
4. How did the slave trade between 1700 and 1810 affect Africa?
5. What was Russia like during the early years after the collapse of the Soviet Union?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did the Bolsheviks inherit from the czarist government in Russia?
2. Where do terrorist groups get money to carry out their training, preparations and attacks?
3. Who is Usama (or Osama) bin Laden?
4. What are some different definitions of terrorism?
5. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
6. How did European actions produce havoc in Africa?
7. What is supranationalism? Give some examples of supranational organizations.
8. What kinds of places do terrorists thrive in?
9. How does de Blij think that the United States could avoid another Cold War?
10. Why does de Blij say that Chinese nationalists see the U.S. as arrogant?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)