|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes does de Blij suggest show that the European Union may eventually form one nation?
(a) Newspapers and bullet trains that link countries and share patrons.
(b) Military alliances and shared weapons and intelligence.
(c) Sharing a currency and allowing travelers to cross borders without documentation.
(d) Political statements that show leaders intend to merge all of Europe's countries into one.
2. What is the easiest way to trace how terrorist groups get funded?
(a) Listen in on international phone calls.
(b) Send marked American dollars to a terrorist group.
(c) Follow the trail of bank transactions and internet contacts.
(d) Have agents infiltrate terrorist cells.
3. What country's model should be followed by the U.S. in responding to terrorist attacks, according to de Blij?
4. How does de Blij characterize sub-Saharan Africa?
(a) As the world's most geographically challenged region.
(b) As the world's most dangerous region.
(c) As the world's politically corrupt region.
(d) As the world's neediest region.
5. How long has the European unification movement been underway?
(a) Since the U.S. initiated the Marshall Plan in 1948.
(b) Since the end of World War I.
(c) Since the break-up of the former Soviet Union.
(d) Since the League of Nations was formed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the battle for Chechen independence become an Islamic terrorist movement?
2. What group provides al Qaeda with most of its soldiers?
3. What is the Triple Frontier?
4. What happened in Russia in the year 2000 that de Blij says was previously unimaginable?
5. What geographic challenges does Russia have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Europe's low population growth, and zero population growth in some areas, troubling to world leaders?
2. Why does de Blij feel so strongly that Americans should be educated about Africa?
3. Why does it surprise so many people that European countries have managed to join together to form the European Union?
4. Where do terrorist groups get money to carry out their training, preparations and attacks?
5. What are some different definitions of terrorism?
6. Why does de Blij think it will be difficult to convince some Muslim leaders to take a more moderate position?
7. What kinds of places do terrorists thrive in?
8. How does the physical geography of Afghanistan make it the perfect place for a terrorist base?
9. Describe Russia's geographic advantages and disadvantages.
10. What problems did the Bolsheviks inherit from the czarist government in Russia?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)