|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What continent will decline in population by 2050, according to the United Nations?
(c) North America.
2. How long has it been since Harvard University offered a geography class to its students?
(a) More than 10 years.
(b) More than 100 years.
(c) More than 20 years.
(d) More than 50 years.
3. What tool does de Blij say that no household should ever be without?
(a) A globe.
(b) An atlas.
(c) A ruler.
(d) A computer.
4. What other university departments does de Blij feel should be resurrected, along with geography departments?
(a) Sociology departments.
(b) Interdisciplinary studies departments.
(c) Departments of regional studies.
(d) History departments.
5. What two countries were mixed up by President Nixon's staff?
(a) India and Indonesia.
(b) The Congo and Cuba.
(c) Brazil and Bolivia.
(d) Mauritania and Mauritius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a geostationary satellite do?
2. Why is the population growing so fast in sub-Saharan Africa?
3. Which of the following revolutions occurred during the time period in which the nation-state was becoming popular?
4. How did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect life on Earth?
5. What other world does geography traditionally deal with, in addition to the human world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of tools do geographers need to know how to use?
2. How were the locations of colony boundaries in Africa determined?
3. What caused the "year without a summer"?
4. What was the world like when the nation-state was emerging?
5. What does de Blij mean when he says that geography is an antidote for isolationism and provincialism?
6. Compare and contrast the populations of Europe and of sub-Saharan Africa.
7. How widespread is the practice of cartography across cultures?
8. What empires thrived during the Medieval Optimum?
9. What is the Exclusive Economic Zone?
10. What was Europe like during the coldest part of the Little Ice Age?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)