|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the interglacial that we are currently in?
(a) The Holocene.
(b) The Atlanticum.
(c) The Subboreal.
(d) The Eemian.
2. What two inventions have done the most to increase life expectancy?
(a) The stethoscope and the hypodermic needle.
(b) Effective soap and the flushing toilet.
(c) The electrocardiogram and the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine.
(d) Electricity and electric lights.
3. What population problem is facing European countries?
(a) A high ratio of retired to employed people.
(b) A high rate of population growth.
(c) A high rate of immigration from other countries.
(d) A high infant mortality rate.
4. Which of the following is one of the characteristics of a nation-state?
(a) A people who speak the same language but live in different countries.
(b) A people who wander from place to place as nomads.
(c) A territory that exists within boundaries that can be drawn on a map.
(d) A territory that is governed by several allied governments.
5. What profession does de Blij say should include training in cartography?
6. Which of the following countries has borders that are in dispute?
(a) The United States.
7. What problem resulted from the drawing of political boundaries in Africa by European powers?
(a) Food distribution problems.
(b) Cultural and ethnic clashes.
(c) Droughts and epidemics.
(d) The rise of dictatorships.
8. What phase of Earth's geologic history are we in today?
(a) The Archean.
(b) The Hadean.
(c) The Eocene.
(d) The Pleistocene.
9. In addition to population, what else does de Blij say will increase in the next century?
(a) Education levels.
(b) Infant mortality rates.
(c) The proportion of young people compared to old people.
(d) Tax rates.
10. Why is the population growing so fast in sub-Saharan Africa?
(a) Religious leaders in those areas encourage families to have more children.
(b) There is plenty of land on which to build more homes for larger families.
(c) There are no problems with famine or lack of medical care there.
(d) Having more children gives a family higher status in certain cultures.
11. What human event coincided with the end of the Little Ice Age?
(a) The rise of the Han Dynasty.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The fall of the Roman Empire.
(d) The Industrial Revolution.
12. How did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect life on Earth?
(a) It caused an incredible explosion of genetic diversity, producing many new species.
(b) It caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
(c) It caused an evolutionary bottleneck in which much genetic diversity was lost.
(d) It was connected with the beginning of the evolution of modern humans.
13. When did the world's population begin to rise dramatically?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After the Industrial Revolution.
(c) After the Civil War.
(d) After the French Revolution.
14. What caused the Younger Dryas?
(a) The Little Ice Age.
(b) Ice sheets sliding into the oceans.
(c) The Mongol invasions.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
15. In which of the following countries is the population decreasing?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Iraq give for invading Kuwait just before the first Gulf War?
2. Why does de Blij feel that Americans have an obligation to be well informed?
3. What kind of a map did Vladimir Koppen devise?
4. What does the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea do?
5. If Earth's population keeps growing at the present rate, how high will it be by the year 2035?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)