|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does de Blij call global warming a misnomer?
(a) Because Earth has been steadily cooling off since the Hadean period.
(b) Because the globe will probably cool down, not warm up.
(c) Because warming will probably be regional, not global.
(d) Because global warming occurs throughout Earth's history.
2. Why did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect Earth's climate?
(a) It caused a tsunami.
(b) It shifted one of the plates in Earth's crust.
(c) It sent millions of tons of ash and debris into the atmosphere.
(d) It heated Earth's atmosphere.
3. What does de Blij mean when he refers to a mental map?
(a) He means that the brain changes structurally as a result of studying cartography.
(b) He means the map of each person's individual universe: one's neighborhood, school, and community.
(c) He means the brain's ability to visualize maps mentally when no map is available.
(d) He means the map of the brain that is being developed by neuroscientists.
4. What technological development revolutionized cartography?
(a) The invention of the ruler.
(b) The invention of the compass.
(c) The invention of the airplane.
(d) The invention of the printing press.
5. How did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect life on Earth?
(a) It caused an incredible explosion of genetic diversity, producing many new species.
(b) It caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
(c) It caused an evolutionary bottleneck in which much genetic diversity was lost.
(d) It was connected with the beginning of the evolution of modern humans.
6. When President Ronald Reagan visited Brazil, where did he tell people he was happy to be?
(c) The Bahamas.
7. Which of the following factors has the greatest effect on population growth?
(a) Religious faith.
(b) The status of women.
(c) Government policies.
8. Which of the following activities requires the skills of a geographer?
(a) Comparing the structures of government in two different cultures.
(b) Studying the history and current events of a particular country.
(c) Traveling to a distant place and blogging about the trip in an online journal.
(d) Tracking outbreaks of disease and predicting where diseases will spread in the future.
9. What tool does de Blij say that no household should ever be without?
(a) A globe.
(b) An atlas.
(c) A ruler.
(d) A computer.
10. Why is a compass rose more useful in the United States than in Europe?
(a) Europeans do not learn how to use a compass rose in school.
(b) European countries use the metric system.
(c) American cities were laid out with the compass rose in mind.
(d) The United States is oriented north to south.
11. What does a geostationary satellite do?
(a) It sends data to GPS devices in cars.
(b) It can discern features of tiny objects on Earth's surface.
(c) It produces maps of changing weather conditions.
(d) It remains stationary over a particular point on Earth's surface.
12. Who would be most likely to use a large scale map?
(a) A tourist finding his or her way around a museum.
(b) A student learning about world geography.
(c) A journalist writing about news events in a faraway country.
(d) A pilot following a route from one city to another.
13. Which of the following statements is the best description of Earth's geologic history?
(a) Earth has had several Ice Ages separated by shorter warm periods.
(b) Earth is usually warm but has also had some short Ice Ages.
(c) Earth used to have a cold climate and has gotten steadily warmer.
(d) Earth used to have a tropical climate and has gotten steadily more temperate.
14. About what percentage of American students have studied geography in school?
(a) Less than five percent.
(b) Less than 30 percent.
(c) Less than 10 percent.
(d) Less than 50 percent.
15. How will Earth's population in the year 2015 compare with Earth's population in "the year without a summer"?
(a) Earth will have about the same number of people in 2015 as it did then.
(b) Earth will have seven times more people than it did then.
(c) Earth will have double the number of people in 2015 than it did then.
(d) Earth had seven times more people that year than it does now.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does de Blij suggest that you give directions if you do not know which way is north, south, east, or west?
2. Why did life expectancy in Botswana fall from 60 to 39 between 1994 and 2004?
3. How long have people been making maps?
4. Why is the population growing so fast in sub-Saharan Africa?
5. What do geographers mean when they use the abbreviation "B.P."?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)