|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war does de Blij say could have been better handled if U.S. leaders had had a better grasp of geography?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Vietnam War.
2. About what percentage of American students have studied geography in school?
(a) Less than 30 percent.
(b) Less than 50 percent.
(c) Less than five percent.
(d) Less than 10 percent.
3. Why is a compass rose more useful in the United States than in Europe?
(a) European countries use the metric system.
(b) Europeans do not learn how to use a compass rose in school.
(c) American cities were laid out with the compass rose in mind.
(d) The United States is oriented north to south.
4. What does the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea do?
(a) It establishes recognized ocean borders.
(b) It gives biologists the right to study the ocean floor.
(c) It establishes a procedure for tsunami notification.
(d) It establishes fishing seasons and limits.
5. Which of the following European countries did NOT colonize Africa?
6. Why is geography different from other disciplines, according to de Blij?
(a) It covers science and technology.
(b) It makes unexpected links between topics.
(c) It is constantly changing.
(d) It is always in the news.
7. What caused the Younger Dryas?
(a) The Little Ice Age.
(b) Ice sheets sliding into the oceans.
(c) A volcanic eruption.
(d) The Mongol invasions.
8. Which ocean does de Blij say is becoming the dominant world ocean?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
9. What did European countries fail to consider when they colonized Africa?
(a) The size of the continent.
(b) The needs of the indigenous people.
(c) The distance from Europe.
(d) The urban populations.
10. When President Ronald Reagan visited Brazil, where did he tell people he was happy to be?
(c) The Bahamas.
11. How will Earth's population in the year 2015 compare with Earth's population in "the year without a summer"?
(a) Earth will have seven times more people than it did then.
(b) Earth had seven times more people that year than it does now.
(c) Earth will have about the same number of people in 2015 as it did then.
(d) Earth will have double the number of people in 2015 than it did then.
12. What were climatic conditions like during the Postglacial Optimum?
(a) Similar to today.
(b) Much warmer than they are today.
(c) Much colder than they are today.
(d) An Ice Age was going on at the time.
13. Which of the following countries was never colonized by Europe?
(a) South Africa.
14. How did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect life on Earth?
(a) It was connected with the beginning of the evolution of modern humans.
(b) It caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
(c) It caused an incredible explosion of genetic diversity, producing many new species.
(d) It caused an evolutionary bottleneck in which much genetic diversity was lost.
15. Who formulated a grid that is still used to make map projections of the world?
(a) Captain Cook.
(b) Battista Agnese.
(c) Gerardus Mercator.
(d) Ferdinand Magellan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do geographers analyze using the gravity model?
2. What does de Blij mean when he refers to a mental map?
3. How long have people been making maps?
4. What issue has caused conflicts along the border between Germany and the Netherlands?
5. What historical event may have given rise to the stories in many cultures of a Great Flood?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)