|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does de Blij say is the difference between terrorist acts committed by the Corsicans, the Basques, the Tamils, and the Chechens, and terrorist acts committed by al Qaeda?
(a) Al Qaeda seems to have no clear objective for its violence.
(b) Al Qaeda is based in just one country.
(c) Al Qaeda does not target civilians or noncombatants.
(d) Al Qaeda uses different methods, such as bombs.
2. What disease is currently at epidemic levels in sub-Saharan Africa?
(a) Yellow fever.
(c) Dengue fever.
3. What did scientists think was happening to the climate in the 1950s, when de Blij was in graduate school?
(a) No change in climate.
(b) Global warming.
(c) Global cooling.
(d) Global upheaval.
4. What caused the Younger Dryas?
(a) A volcanic eruption.
(b) The Mongol invasions.
(c) Ice sheets sliding into the oceans.
(d) The Little Ice Age.
5. What other world does geography traditionally deal with, in addition to the human world?
(a) The philosophical world.
(b) The astronomical world.
(c) The cultural world.
(d) The natural world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to de Blij, what is geographically contentious about Europe?
2. What event became known in China as the "Great Leap Forward"?
3. Where would you expect to find the highest infant mortality rates?
4. What did Georgetown University decide to do in response to the geographic illiteracy of incoming students?
5. Which country does de Blij think that Americans should try to be particularly well-informed about?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)