|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following maps can you derive the most accurate estimates of distances from?
(a) A map of a city.
(b) A map of a city block.
(c) A map of the world.
(d) A map of the United States.
2. How far south did North American glaciers reach during the last Ice Age?
(a) As far south as the Gulf of Mexico.
(b) As far south as the Ohio River.
(c) As far south as the Great Lakes.
(d) As far south as the Equator.
3. What three groups fought over China in the early 20th century?
(a) Nationalists, Communists, and the Japanese.
(b) Corporations, human rights agencies, and the United Nations.
(c) Mongols, Koreans, and the Vietnamese.
(d) Northerners, Southerners, and guerilla revolutionaries.
4. What do geographers analyze using the gravity model?
(a) Interaction between cities.
(b) Plate tectonics.
(c) The history of Earth.
(d) Current events.
5. Where does de Blij hope that a new, more liberal form of Islam will emerge?
(a) In the Middle East.
(b) In the Pacific Rim.
(c) In Europe.
(d) In Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is geography different from other disciplines, according to de Blij?
2. When did the nation-state emerge in Europe?
3. What did Georgetown University decide to do in response to the geographic illiteracy of incoming students?
4. Which of the following countries adds nine or ten million people to the world's population every year?
5. From which direction are terrorists most likely to enter the U.S., according to de Blij?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)