|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far south did North American glaciers reach during the last Ice Age?
(a) As far south as the Gulf of Mexico.
(b) As far south as the Great Lakes.
(c) As far south as the Equator.
(d) As far south as the Ohio River.
2. What technological development revolutionized cartography?
(a) The invention of the printing press.
(b) The invention of the compass.
(c) The invention of the ruler.
(d) The invention of the airplane.
3. At what point do scientists predict that Earth's population will level off and stop increasing?
(a) When it reaches ten billion.
(b) When it reaches 100 billion.
(c) When it reaches one billion.
(d) When it reaches eight billion.
4. What did Georgetown University decide to do in response to the geographic illiteracy of incoming students?
(a) It required all students to take a class called Map of the Modern World.
(b) It required all students to pass a geography test as part of the admissions process.
(c) It required all students to pass a geography test in order to graduate from Georgetown.
(d) It required all students to take four years of geography.
5. What reason did Iraq give for invading Kuwait just before the first Gulf War?
(a) Iraq claimed that Kuwait was invading Iraqi airspace.
(b) Iraq claimed Kuwait was drilling into Iraq's underground oil reservoirs.
(c) Iraq claimed that Kuwait had invaded Iraq.
(d) Iraq claimed that Kuwait was diverting Iraq's water supply.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the United States been so slow to convert maps to the metric system?
2. What causes the drift of Earth's continents?
3. What two countries were mixed up by President Nixon's staff?
4. What does the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea do?
5. Which of the following maps has the smallest scale?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)