|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Long-Term threaten to sue, following a threat not to clear trades?
2. At what level was the swap rate of the United States in April 1998?
3. What was the first horrible month Long-Term had?
4. In 1998, what market did Long-Term bet would decline?
5. What was Long-Term's signature trade based on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The academic model Long-Term used for investing proved impressive on many occasions.
1) What were the principles behind the Value-at-Risk models?
2) What were the problems with these models?
3) How did these models impact the investments placed by Long-Term?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether began his career at Salomon Brothers before starting Long-Term. Write a detailed profile of his career path at Salomon Brothers, answering the following questions.
1) What risk did Meriwether take at Salomon Brothers?
2) What were the challenges and rewards?
3) Why did his career at Salomon Brothers come to an end?
Essay Topic 3
The Fed has a major voice in the financial decisions in the United States. Examine the function of the Fed and the actions that it took that inadvertently played a part in Long-Term's success.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)