|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was the Federal Reserve System created?
2. After the Russian financial crisis, what caused further fluctuations in the market?
3. Who was the Fed Chairman in 1997?
4. What was the common belief regarding nuclear powers?
5. In 1998, what act led Long-Term to a fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who warned Long-Term about making trades that counted on falling stock prices?
2. In 1997, what was Meriwether encouraging his employees to do?
3. Who was Jon Corzine?
4. By the end of August 1998, what did the movement in the bond market look like?
5. How much of Long-Term did the Union Bank of Switzerland buy on a hedge?
6. What did Standard & Poor downgrade that would affect Long-Term significantly?
7. Following the crisis in Russia, what position did investors take that adversely affected Long-Term?
8. During the financial crisis in 1998, where were the partners finding money?
9. What contributes to the estimation of market volatility?
10. When Meriwether reached out to his clients following the Russian crisis, how did he explain the effect of the situation in Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: The irresponsible management of Long-Term by the partners led to its downfall.
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Long-Term set out to be a low risk company and exemplified that mission for several years.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Meriwether fully expected to continue making substantial returns with Long-Term's investment model.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)