|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much equity did Long-Term have hold of in 1997?
2. After the financial crisis in Russia, what did Long-Term regret?
3. In 1998, what market did Long-Term bet would decline?
4. To create a paired-share, what is common stock partnered with?
5. In 1997, who awarded Long-Term the loan warrant it had requested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of the Federal Reserve when it was created?
2. What did Long-Term do when they expected stock prices to fall?
3. What was the risk to the market if Long-Term unraveled?
4. Why did the issue in Russia cost Long-Term money on an initial basis?
5. Since Long-Term expected stock prices would fall, what did they sell insurance against?
6. In spite of the economic crisis in Russia, what did Meriwether believe about Long-Term's trades?
7. Why did banks and investment banks get involved in the derivatives market?
8. What contributes to the estimation of market volatility?
9. What move did Salomon make that surprised Long-Term?
10. What was the financial climate when Merton and Scholes were awarded the Nobel Prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meriwether began his career at Salomon Brothers before starting Long-Term. Write a detailed profile of his career path at Salomon Brothers, answering the following questions.
1) What risk did Meriwether take at Salomon Brothers?
2) What were the challenges and rewards?
3) Why did his career at Salomon Brothers come to an end?
Essay Topic 2
Those involved at the top levels of Long-Term were given respect, money and opportunity. Write a brief essay analyzing some of the advantages a career at Long-Term gave many of the partners, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Basing your answer on the height of Long-Term's career, compare and contrast several of the companies on Wall Street with Long-Term, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)