Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Long-Term do when IOs started to fall?
2. What did Meriwether warn his investors against in 1994?
3. What did Meriwether do with his staff?
4. What group did Meriwether found in 1977?
5. What hedge fund caused a pound devaluation in Europe but made over a billion dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. When investing in Italy, what did Long-Term avoid telling their customers?
2. Why did the issue in Russia cost Long-Term money on an initial basis?
3. Why were regulators concerned about the volume of banks and investment banks involved in the derivatives market?
4. What were the legal limits on hedge fund investors?
5. How did Long-Term respond to firms that would not waive the fee for the haircut?
6. In spite of the economic crisis in Russia, what did Meriwether believe about Long-Term's trades?
7. In terms of the spreads in 1998, what was the difference between what Long-Term expected them to do and what they actually did?
8. Following the financial crisis in Russia, what did the partners do to begin raising money?
9. What dictates whether or interest only securities rise or fall?
10. What surprise happened when Meriwether was trading Treasury Bill futures?
As Long-Term became more and more successful, many banks and investment firms were eager to work with the company. Examine the various ways banks and investment firms offered advantages to Long-Term and why.
The Fed has a major voice in the financial decisions in the United States. Examine the function of the Fed and the actions that it took that inadvertently played a part in Long-Term's success.
Basing your answer on the height of Long-Term's career, compare and contrast several of the companies on Wall Street with Long-Term, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)