|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Robert C. Merton working when Meriwether hired him?
2. What year did Meriwether hire Myron Scholes?
3. During the time period in "Hedge Fund", how many people were millionaires due to the stock market?
4. What type of strategy did Long-Term employ?
5. Where was David W. Mullins working when Meriwether hired him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Meriwether begin making sales calls for Long-Term?
2. How would a loan from a major bank help the partners at Long-Term make money?
3. Why were convergence trades the safest trades made by Long-Term?
4. What were the legal limits on hedge fund investors?
5. What did Long-Term do to limit risk in bond trading?
6. What methods did Black and Scholes use to predict the changes that would take place in the market?
7. When additional investors returned to the Italian market, what did Long-Term do?
8. In 1996, which significant companies did Long-Term surpass in terms of assets?
9. When Meriwether was building his team at the Arbitrage Group, what qualities did he look for?
10. What was Long-Term's objective in seeking out a bank to finance their credit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Long-Term became more and more successful, many banks and investment firms were eager to work with the company. Examine the various ways banks and investment firms offered advantages to Long-Term and why.
Essay Topic 2
The international market provided Long-Term with a substantial opportunity for success. Write an essay examining Long-Term's initial involvement in the international market and the results of this investment.
Essay Topic 3
Basing your answer on the height of Long-Term's career, compare and contrast several of the companies on Wall Street with Long-Term, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)