|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Spring Dance is announced, who does the narrator decide to invite?
2. What sounds does the narrator hear from the package that he receives as an adult?
3. After the prom dance, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster where, trying to impress, they order what?
4. The narrator, as an adult, owns some fine furniture and has a what?
5. What is the name of the family that moves next door to the Shepherds long after the Bumpuses move out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the narrator prepares for his date with Daphne.
2. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
3. How does the narrator's date with Daphne end?
4. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
5. Describe Daphne Bigelow, the girl of the narrator's dreams.
6. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
7. How does the narrator get his fire chief hat back?
8. How does the narrator ask Wanda Hickey to the prom?
9. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
10. How does the narrator's prom night end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young person, the narrator spends a great deal of time living in his world of daydreams and imagination. How does the reality of his life compare to the world of his imagination? How do his daydreams serve him when reality is full of disappointments?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author illustrate group or mob mentality through some of his stories? What messages does he convey regarding group behavior? What conclusions can you reach about his own thoughts and feelings on this subject?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator feel after the battles against Scut Farkas, the school bully, in top-spinning matches? Who wins? Does it even matter who wins, or does the narrator grow in confidence and self-assurance as a result of his desire to best the bully? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)