|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As an adult, the narrator is a former what?
2. Where do we find the narrator at the beginning of Story 7?
3. Why is the adult narrator embarrassed when the doorman sees him?
4. The narrator, as an adult, owns some fine furniture and has a what?
5. The narrator notes that Howie used to be fun, but now he's always what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator prepare for his date with Josephine?
2. Describe the narrator's trip to Daphne's house.
3. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
4. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
5. Why do the narrator and his friends parade back and forth in front of the Cosnowskis' house?
6. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
7. What does the narrator compare the prom to?
8. With the Bumpuses long gone, who finally moves in next door to the Shepherds?
9. Where does the narrator live when he is an adult?
10. Describe Daphne Bigelow, the girl of the narrator's dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author creates colorful, larger than life characters who somehow appear very real. Explain how the author maintains a balance between fabricating fictitious, exaggerated characters and assigning attributes that make them seem like real people.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author illustrate group or mob mentality through some of his stories? What messages does he convey regarding group behavior? What conclusions can you reach about his own thoughts and feelings on this subject?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator feel after the battles against Scut Farkas, the school bully, in top-spinning matches? Who wins? Does it even matter who wins, or does the narrator grow in confidence and self-assurance as a result of his desire to best the bully? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)