|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the community, who is Maxwell Bigelow, Daphne's father?
2. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
3. Who does the narrator finally invite to the prom?
4. After the prom dance, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster where, trying to impress, they order what?
5. How does the narrator get to the Bigelow family's neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On their annual trip to Michigan, the narrator and his family encounter one obstacle after another. Despite their ups and downs, the family members are able to stay excited about their vacation. As an adult, the narrator says these vacations were very memorable. Explain why adversity in life creates memories, using examples from the book and from your own experience.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator feel after the battles against Scut Farkas, the school bully, in top-spinning matches? Who wins? Does it even matter who wins, or does the narrator grow in confidence and self-assurance as a result of his desire to best the bully? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)