|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
2. What is the name of the new girl next door whom the narrator is smitten by?
3. What does the narrator, as an adult, receive from his mother?
4. As the narrator nervously talks with Mr. Bigelow, he does what?
5. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel after looking through his box of childhood treasures?
2. When the narrator asks Daphne out on a date, and she agrees, what daydreams go through his mind?
3. How does the narrator ask Wanda Hickey to the prom?
4. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
5. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
6. What impression does the narrator make on Mr. Bigelow, Daphne's dad?
7. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
8. How does the narrator prepare for his date with Josephine?
9. Describe how the narrator prepares for his date with Daphne.
10. Where does the narrator live when he is an adult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
As a young person, the narrator spends a great deal of time living in his world of daydreams and imagination. How does the reality of his life compare to the world of his imagination? How do his daydreams serve him when reality is full of disappointments?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the narrator's expectations of his date with Josie and the reality of how the date turns out. What lessons does he learn through this experience? How does he behave after this date? What mistakes will he probably not make again?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)