|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Old Man react to the news that the narrator has asked Max Bigelow's daughter out on a date?
2. After the prom dance, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster where, trying to impress, they order what?
3. The prom outfit for each boy includes a white jacket, dark trousers, shoes, socks, shirt, tie, boutonniere, and what else?
4. When his friends ask the narrator who he plans to invite to the big dance, what does he say?
5. After his date with Daphne, how does the narrator get home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the items the narrator finds in the box of toys his mother sends him when he's an adult?
2. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
3. Describe some of the pre-prom rituals.
4. How does the narrator's prom night end?
5. Describe the narrator's trip to Daphne's house.
6. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
7. What does the narrator compare the prom to?
8. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
9. Describe the narrator's experience as he waits for Josephine to finish getting ready for their date.
10. Describe the narrator's first major encounter with Josephine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young person, the narrator spends a great deal of time living in his world of daydreams and imagination. How does the reality of his life compare to the world of his imagination? How do his daydreams serve him when reality is full of disappointments?
Essay Topic 2
1. Explain how the author chooses to lead up to the Shepherd family's experiences at the County Fair.
2. Is this method of starting with a present event and then looking back across time an effective one? Why or why not?
3. Is this technique used in other stories in the book? If so, cite at least one more example and analyze its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
After the narrator opens a box that he receives as an adult and peruses through the childhood treasures found inside, he decides to pack everything back up and hide it on the top shelf of a closet. Explain what this says about the author's viewpoint on stirring up the past.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)