|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
2. What happens to the adult narrator's childhood fire chief hat?
3. Where does the new family next door to the Shepherds move from?
4. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
5. When the narrator is invited inside his neighbors' house, what is he expected to do while he waits for Josie to finish getting ready?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator get his fire chief hat back?
2. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
3. What does the narrator compare the prom to?
4. How does the narrator feel after looking through his box of childhood treasures?
5. What is the Wimpy Doll?
6. Describe the narrator's trip to Daphne's house.
7. With the Bumpuses long gone, who finally moves in next door to the Shepherds?
8. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
9. Where does the narrator live when he is an adult?
10. How does the narrator's prom night end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator feel after the battles against Scut Farkas, the school bully, in top-spinning matches? Who wins? Does it even matter who wins, or does the narrator grow in confidence and self-assurance as a result of his desire to best the bully? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrator's expectations of his date with Josie and the reality of how the date turns out. What lessons does he learn through this experience? How does he behave after this date? What mistakes will he probably not make again?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Shepherd and the Bumpus families.
1. In what ways do the Bumpuses annoy the Old Man and his family?
2. Despite the stark differences between the Shepherds and the Bumpuses, what makes each family bizarre and eccentric in its own way?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)