|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the community, who is Maxwell Bigelow, Daphne's father?
2. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
3. By the time Josie and the narrator have reached their homes walking from the grocery store, what has transpired?
4. The Bigelow family's chauffeur drives Daphne and the narrator to the Orpheum in what?
5. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator live when he is an adult?
2. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
3. How does the narrator prepare for his date with Josephine?
4. Describe some of the pre-prom rituals.
5. What are some of the items the narrator finds in the box of toys his mother sends him when he's an adult?
6. Why do the narrator and his friends parade back and forth in front of the Cosnowskis' house?
7. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
8. Describe the narrator's trip to Daphne's house.
9. Describe the narrator's experience as he waits for Josephine to finish getting ready for their date.
10. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book's time line covers the narrator's childhood and teen years. How does the narrator change, develop, and grow from the beginning to the end of the book? In what ways do the stories evolve? In what instances does the author seem to act about the same as a teenager as he did as a child?
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the personality and any salient character traits of each of the following: Randy, the narrator, Mother, and the Old Man.
2. How do the personalities and character traits of these individuals complement each other in ways that make their family function together?
Essay Topic 3
Although events rarely go according to plan and expectations, somehow the narrator gets through them and even manages to be content with the outcome. Explain what factors help the narrator maintain a positive attitude even when his hopes and dreams fail to materialize.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)