|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As an adult, the narrator is a former what?
2. What does the narrator do when he meets Josie on the way home from Pulaski's store?
3. In his daydreams, the narrator envisions himself impressing his lady friend with what dance?
4. In Story 7, the narrator is what?
5. What conflict does the narrator face between the girl next door and basketball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
2. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
3. Describe how the narrator prepares for his date with Daphne.
4. How does the narrator get his fire chief hat back?
5. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
6. After the prom, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster. What happens there?
7. Describe Daphne Bigelow, the girl of the narrator's dreams.
8. How does the narrator's date with Josephine end?
9. Why doesn't the narrator ask Daphne Bigelow to the prom?
10. How does the narrator feel after looking through his box of childhood treasures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author creates colorful, larger than life characters who somehow appear very real. Explain how the author maintains a balance between fabricating fictitious, exaggerated characters and assigning attributes that make them seem like real people.
Essay Topic 2
For Wanda Hickey, prom night is a golden evening of wonder where she has the amazing good luck of going with the boy she's always had a crush on. How does the night turn out for her? Does it meet her expectations? Despite some mishaps, is she pleased with the evening? Would she have liked anything to have been different? Support your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)