|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second item the narrator pulls out of the package he receives as an adult?
2. When the narrator is invited inside his neighbors' house, what is he expected to do while he waits for Josie to finish getting ready?
3. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
4. Mother wants the narrator to invite which girl to the prom?
5. The night of his first date with the neighbor girl, how long does it take the narrator to bathe and groom?
Essay Topic 1
The Old Man is a study in contrasts. One minute he's cursing and complaining, the next he's laughing and joking about a challenge he just went through. Using examples from the book, create a description of the Old Man that shows him as a man of contrasts and mixed messages. How do his sons handle a father as unpredictable as theirs?
Essay Topic 2
After the narrator opens a box that he receives as an adult and peruses through the childhood treasures found inside, he decides to pack everything back up and hide it on the top shelf of a closet. Explain what this says about the author's viewpoint on stirring up the past.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author illustrate group or mob mentality through some of his stories? What messages does he convey regarding group behavior? What conclusions can you reach about his own thoughts and feelings on this subject?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)