|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What daredevil act do a couple of skinny blond girls perform at the County Fair?
2. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
3. Which of the following are NOT found in the Bumpus' yard?
4. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
5. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
2. What happens to the much anticipated Easter ham in Story One?
3. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
4. How does Delbert Bumpus disrupt life at school?
5. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
6. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
7. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
8. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
9. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
10. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On their annual trip to Michigan, the narrator and his family encounter one obstacle after another. Despite their ups and downs, the family members are able to stay excited about their vacation. As an adult, the narrator says these vacations were very memorable. Explain why adversity in life creates memories, using examples from the book and from your own experience.
Essay Topic 2
A day at the County Fair turns into another opportunity for the author to showcase the Shepherds' eccentricities. Describe the fair experience from the viewpoint of each family member -- Mother, Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator. Who seems to enjoy the fair the most, and why? Use examples to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)