|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
2. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
3. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
4. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
5. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
2. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
3. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
4. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
5. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
6. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
7. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
8. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
9. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
10. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On their annual trip to Michigan, the narrator and his family encounter one obstacle after another. Despite their ups and downs, the family members are able to stay excited about their vacation. As an adult, the narrator says these vacations were very memorable. Explain why adversity in life creates memories, using examples from the book and from your own experience.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)