|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
2. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
3. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
4. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
5. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
2. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
3. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
4. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
5. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
6. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
7. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
8. How does Delbert Bumpus disrupt life at school?
9. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
10. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Expand and explain the narrator's point of view that prom is a rite of passage full of strange rituals that he and others are forced to attend as they become adults.
2. Despite his reluctance at attending the prom, does the narrator have a good time at the dance? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Shepherd and the Bumpus families.
1. In what ways do the Bumpuses annoy the Old Man and his family?
2. Despite the stark differences between the Shepherds and the Bumpuses, what makes each family bizarre and eccentric in its own way?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)