|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
2. What is the name of the school the narrator attends?
3. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
5. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
2. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
3. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
4. Who does most of the work when it's time to prepare for the narrator's annual vacation?
5. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
6. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
7. How does Delbert Bumpus disrupt life at school?
8. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
9. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
10. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
Although a quiet force who's often in the background, Mother is still a strong, powerful force in the book. Explain how Mother supports the narrator, Randy, and the Old Man, helping make their lives smoother even when it means making sacrifices on her part.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)