|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
2. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
3. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
4. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
5. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
2. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
3. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
4. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
5. What happens to the much anticipated Easter ham in Story One?
6. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
7. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
8. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
9. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
10. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Expand and explain the narrator's point of view that prom is a rite of passage full of strange rituals that he and others are forced to attend as they become adults.
2. Despite his reluctance at attending the prom, does the narrator have a good time at the dance? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although events rarely go according to plan and expectations, somehow the narrator gets through them and even manages to be content with the outcome. Explain what factors help the narrator maintain a positive attitude even when his hopes and dreams fail to materialize.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author illustrate group or mob mentality through some of his stories? What messages does he convey regarding group behavior? What conclusions can you reach about his own thoughts and feelings on this subject?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)