|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
2. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
3. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
4. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
5. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
2. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
3. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
4. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
5. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
6. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
7. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
8. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
9. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
10. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For Wanda Hickey, prom night is a golden evening of wonder where she has the amazing good luck of going with the boy she's always had a crush on. How does the night turn out for her? Does it meet her expectations? Despite some mishaps, is she pleased with the evening? Would she have liked anything to have been different? Support your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the personality and any salient character traits of each of the following: Randy, the narrator, Mother, and the Old Man.
2. How do the personalities and character traits of these individuals complement each other in ways that make their family function together?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)