Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
2. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
3. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
4. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
5. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's family react when he says that he's asked Daphne Bigelow out on a date?
2. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
3. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
4. Describe the narrator's first major encounter with Josephine.
5. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
6. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
7. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
8. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
9. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
10. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
Although a quiet force who's often in the background, Mother is still a strong, powerful force in the book. Explain how Mother supports the narrator, Randy, and the Old Man, helping make their lives smoother even when it means making sacrifices on her part.
Essay Topic 3
1. Describe the personality and any salient character traits of each of the following: Randy, the narrator, Mother, and the Old Man.
2. How do the personalities and character traits of these individuals complement each other in ways that make their family function together?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)