|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the narrator practice with his fighting top?
2. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
3. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
4. What daredevil act do a couple of skinny blond girls perform at the County Fair?
5. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
2. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
3. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
4. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
5. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
6. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
7. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
8. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
9. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
10. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although events rarely go according to plan and expectations, somehow the narrator gets through them and even manages to be content with the outcome. Explain what factors help the narrator maintain a positive attitude even when his hopes and dreams fail to materialize.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain how the narrator benefits when he applies, or engages in, the following:
b. Family traditions
c. Challenging the status quo
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator feel after the battles against Scut Farkas, the school bully, in top-spinning matches? Who wins? Does it even matter who wins, or does the narrator grow in confidence and self-assurance as a result of his desire to best the bully? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)