|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
2. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
3. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
4. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
5. On Saturday night, right before the family trip to Michigan, what does the Old Man say about their departure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator get his fire chief hat back?
2. How does the narrator's date with Daphne end?
3. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
4. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
5. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
6. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
7. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
8. Why doesn't the narrator ask Daphne Bigelow to the prom?
9. Describe Daphne's and the narrator's date.
10. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
Essay Topic 1
A day at the County Fair turns into another opportunity for the author to showcase the Shepherds' eccentricities. Describe the fair experience from the viewpoint of each family member -- Mother, Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator. Who seems to enjoy the fair the most, and why? Use examples to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Although events rarely go according to plan and expectations, somehow the narrator gets through them and even manages to be content with the outcome. Explain what factors help the narrator maintain a positive attitude even when his hopes and dreams fail to materialize.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author illustrate group or mob mentality through some of his stories? What messages does he convey regarding group behavior? What conclusions can you reach about his own thoughts and feelings on this subject?
This section contains 1,817 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)