|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
2. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
3. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
4. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
5. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
2. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
3. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
4. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
5. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
6. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
7. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
8. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
9. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
10. What happens when Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator ride the Whirligig Rocket Whip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses the following literary tools to make a point or accentuate the humorous and ridiculous aspects of a situation:
Cite at least two examples from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
Although events rarely go according to plan and expectations, somehow the narrator gets through them and even manages to be content with the outcome. Explain what factors help the narrator maintain a positive attitude even when his hopes and dreams fail to materialize.
Essay Topic 3
A day at the County Fair turns into another opportunity for the author to showcase the Shepherds' eccentricities. Describe the fair experience from the viewpoint of each family member -- Mother, Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator. Who seems to enjoy the fair the most, and why? Use examples to support your conclusion.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)