|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
(a) He accidentally kisses her on the nose instead.
(b) He's so drunk that intead of kissing her, he pats her on the back and walks away.
(c) The porch light comes on and interrupts their kiss.
(d) He tries to kiss her but hastily leaves upon smelling sauerkraut on her breath.
2. What sounds does the narrator hear from the package that he receives as an adult?
(a) A mechanical whirring and a strange squeak.
(b) A duck quacking and the clanking of contents.
(c) Shattered glass and a bell.
(d) The sounds of springs and gears.
3. To the narrator, Daphne Bigelow is what?
(a) Charming, funny, and witty, but accident prone.
(b) Snobbish, elitist, and no fun to be around.
(c) The school's biggest braniac.
(d) The personification of everything ideal in a girl.
4. The narrator notes that Howie used to be fun, but now he's always what?
5. As the narrator waters the lawn and ponders his prom fate, how does he distract himself?
(a) By occasionally spraying his younger brother.
(b) By scheming how he's going to get out of having to attend prom.
(c) By thinking about the most recent science fiction novel he's read.
(d) By watching his neighbor Josephine through the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night of his first date with the neighbor girl, how long does it take the narrator to bathe and groom?
2. What is the second item the narrator pulls out of the package he receives as an adult?
3. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
4. Once inside the party location with Josie, the narrator realizes he's at a what?
5. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's first major encounter with Josephine.
2. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
3. After the prom, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster. What happens there?
4. How does the narrator's date with Daphne end?
5. What are some of the items the narrator finds in the box of toys his mother sends him when he's an adult?
6. How does the narrator prepare for his date with Josephine?
7. What impression does the narrator make on Mr. Bigelow, Daphne's dad?
8. How does the narrator's prom night end?
9. Where does the narrator live when he is an adult?
10. Why doesn't the narrator ask Daphne Bigelow to the prom?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)