|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the big day of the prom, who helps the narrator get into his painful formal wear?
(d) The Old Man.
2. Who does the narrator find in his biology class?
(a) A girl with an enormous crush on him.
(b) The girl of his dreams.
(c) The smartest girl he's ever met.
(d) The most annoying girl he's ever met.
3. To the narrator, Daphne Bigelow is what?
(a) The school's biggest braniac.
(b) The personification of everything ideal in a girl.
(c) Charming, funny, and witty, but accident prone.
(d) Snobbish, elitist, and no fun to be around.
4. What conflict does the narrator face between the girl next door and basketball?
(a) He's attending a party with her on the night of a big basketball game.
(b) She wants to watch him play basketball, but he's no good.
(c) Her boyfriend is on the narrator's basketball team.
(d) He loves basketball, but she has an irrational fear of basketball courts.
5. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
(a) One of Daphne's former boyfriends.
(b) A member of the Bumpus family.
(c) One of the Pittsburgh Steel Shepherds.
(d) The son of a wealthy socialite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do when he meets Josie on the way home from Pulaski's store?
2. When the narrator emerges from the bathroom after bathing and grooming for his date with the girl next door, what condition is the bathroom in?
3. One of the adult narrator's prized collections is a set of first edition comics of what cartoon?
4. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
5. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the narrator prepares for his date with Daphne.
2. Describe Daphne Bigelow, the girl of the narrator's dreams.
3. What is the Wimpy Doll?
4. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
5. Describe some of the pre-prom rituals.
6. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
7. Why do the narrator and his friends parade back and forth in front of the Cosnowskis' house?
8. When the narrator asks Daphne out on a date, and she agrees, what daydreams go through his mind?
9. What are some of the items the narrator finds in the box of toys his mother sends him when he's an adult?
10. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)