|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(d) The Old Man.
2. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
(b) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
(c) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
(d) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
3. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
(a) "Our school has never produced a top champion."
(b) "I can beat anybody, even the best top player here."
(c) "Top spinning is the easiest thing in the world."
(d) "There's no good top men around here, anyway."
4. According to the book, important industries of Northern Indiana are steel mills and what else?
(a) Candy factories.
(c) Car manufacturers.
(d) Oil refineries.
5. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(d) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
2. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
3. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
4. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
5. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
2. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
3. Who does most of the work when it's time to prepare for the narrator's annual vacation?
4. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
5. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
6. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
7. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
8. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
9. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
10. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)