|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
2. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(b) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
(c) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
(d) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
3. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Abstract art sculptures and rain barrels.
(b) Fountains, flowers, and chipped pottery.
(c) Plastic alligators and chipped gnomes.
(d) License plates, tire pumps, and old batteries.
4. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Picnic by the side of the road.
(b) Become lost in nearby woods.
(c) Stop at a convenience store.
(d) Help the Old Man.
5. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(b) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(c) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(d) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
2. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
3. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
4. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
5. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
2. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
3. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
4. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
5. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
6. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
7. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
8. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
9. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
10. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)