|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
(b) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(c) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(d) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
2. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(b) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(c) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(d) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
3. Who is Scut Farkas?
(a) Narrator's cousin.
(d) Narrator's best friend.
4. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
(a) Packing the car.
(b) Making waffles.
(d) Yelling at the neighbors.
5. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
(a) One whom others envy.
(b) A promising one who needs bigger challenges.
(c) A disruptive one who misses a lot of school.
(d) One who excels in music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
2. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
3. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
5. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
2. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
3. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
4. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
5. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
6. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
7. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
8. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
9. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
10. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)