|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(b) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
(c) Blaring country music is played every night.
(d) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
2. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
3. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
4. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
(a) Spies on Farkas to see how he does it.
(b) Sets up a practice schedule to hone his skills.
(c) Reads a book written by a master top spinner.
(d) Gets Flick to teach him new techniques.
5. What happens when, during the family's road trip, the Old Man refuses the opportunity to purchase gas at the last station?
(a) Mother yells at him until he does a u-turn and gets gas.
(b) They run out of gas at the resort entrance and have to push the car in.
(c) They run out of gas and he has to hike back for some.
(d) They run out of gas, the radiatior overheats, and a tire goes flat, all at the same time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
2. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
3. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
4. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
5. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
2. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
3. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
4. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
5. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
6. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
7. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
8. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
9. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
10. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)