|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A grand champion pig.
(b) A dime-size frog.
(c) A four-foot tall chicken.
(d) A two-headed llama.
2. How long does the ham that Mother prepares have to sit in the oven to rest?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Ten minutes.
3. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
4. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
5. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(b) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(c) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
2. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
3. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
4. Who is Scut Farkas?
5. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
2. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
3. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
4. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
5. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
6. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
7. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
8. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
9. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
10. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)