|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) His driveway.
(b) Flick's backyard.
(c) School gym.
(d) His basement.
2. Because of the crowds, how far away from the County Fair does the narrator say his father has to park?
(a) About four miles.
(b) Six blocks.
(c) Two towns over.
(d) In Chicago.
3. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Randy and his brother only.
(b) The Old Man and his two sons.
(c) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(d) The Old Man and Mother only.
4. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Beat up the loser.
(b) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
(c) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(d) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
5. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
2. What is the Mariah?
3. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
4. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
5. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
2. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
3. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
4. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
5. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
6. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
7. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
8. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
9. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
10. What happens to the much anticipated Easter ham in Story One?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)