|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
2. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
(a) July 4th.
(c) His birthday.
3. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
(a) He tells only Flick.
(b) He tells everyone but Flick.
4. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
(a) Bumpus hounds.
(b) The radiator in his house.
(c) His old Pontiac.
(d) Scut Farkas.
5. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Magazine article.
Short Answer Questions
1. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
2. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
3. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
4. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
5. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
2. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
3. How does the narrator prepare for his date with Josephine?
4. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
5. Why does the narrator grow more and more uncomfortable at the party with Josephine?
6. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
7. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
8. How does the narrator's date with Daphne end?
9. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
10. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)