|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
(a) In his closet.
(b) Beside the garage door.
(c) On his nightstand.
(d) On the porch.
2. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
(b) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(c) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
(d) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
3. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
(a) Sitting on top of the cooler in the far back.
(b) Two tiny cubicles inside the vehicle.
(c) The tiny travel trailer hitched to the car.
(d) The front seat with Mother and the Old Man.
4. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(b) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(c) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
(d) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
5. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
(a) He runs away in tears.
(b) The teacher suspends him for a day.
(c) He's knocked flat on the ground and loses a shoe.
(d) He becomes angry and punches three kids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
2. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
3. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
4. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
5. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
2. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
3. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
4. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
5. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
6. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
7. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
8. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
9. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
10. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)