|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
(b) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
(c) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(d) Beat up the loser.
2. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Stop at a convenience store.
(b) Become lost in nearby woods.
(c) Picnic by the side of the road.
(d) Help the Old Man.
3. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) Bing Crosby.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Johnny Cash.
4. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(d) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
5. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
(a) Orange Nehi.
(b) Banana milkshake.
(c) Shirley Temple.
(d) Spiced cider.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
2. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
3. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
4. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
5. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
2. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
3. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
4. Who does most of the work when it's time to prepare for the narrator's annual vacation?
5. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
6. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
7. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
8. What happens when Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator ride the Whirligig Rocket Whip?
9. What happens to the much anticipated Easter ham in Story One?
10. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)