|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(c) The Old Man.
2. What does the Old Man do two weeks prior to the family's departure for their annual Michigan vacation?
(a) Has a tuneup performed on their car.
(b) Checks out library books to read during his vacation.
(c) Maps out the trip route, complete with stops and detours.
(d) Starts telling everybody at work about his upcoming trip.
3. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
(a) Packing the car.
(b) Yelling at the neighbors.
(d) Making waffles.
4. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) Apple slices.
(b) A maraschino cherry.
(c) A cup of sherry.
(d) Cranberry sauce.
5. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
2. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
3. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
4. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
5. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
2. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
3. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
4. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
5. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
6. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
7. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
8. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
9. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
10. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)