|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(b) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
(c) Blaring country music is played every night.
(d) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
2. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Father, mother, and brother.
(b) Parents and grandmother.
(c) Parents and uncle.
(d) Father, mother, and sister.
3. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
(a) Coffee shop and bakery.
(b) Dark alley.
(c) Small park.
(d) Little specialty shop.
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
(b) His experience is completely different from the movie.
(c) His experience is identical to the movie.
(d) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
5. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
(a) Gets Flick to teach him new techniques.
(b) Sets up a practice schedule to hone his skills.
(c) Spies on Farkas to see how he does it.
(d) Reads a book written by a master top spinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
2. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
3. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
4. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
5. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
2. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
3. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
4. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
5. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
6. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
7. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
8. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
9. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
10. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)