|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
2. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
3. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
4. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
(a) Bold and thunderous, like a storm.
(b) Cold and hissing, like a snake.
(c) Loud and wailing, like a ghost.
(d) Stealthy and quiet, like a ninja.
5. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
(a) Making waffles.
(b) Yelling at the neighbors.
(d) Packing the car.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
2. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
3. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
4. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
5. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
2. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
3. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
4. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
5. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
6. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
7. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
8. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
9. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
10. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)