|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) Blaring country music is played every night.
(b) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
(c) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(d) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
2. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) A maraschino cherry.
(b) Apple slices.
(c) Cranberry sauce.
(d) A cup of sherry.
3. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
(a) Knocks over a lamp.
(b) Stubs his toe.
(c) Hits his head.
(d) Tears the window shade.
4. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
(b) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(c) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(d) The contents of their roof rack fall.
5. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Randy and his brother only.
(b) The Old Man and his two sons.
(c) The Old Man and Mother only.
(d) The four members of the Shepherd family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
2. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
3. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
4. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
5. Halfway along the journey to Michigan, what does the narrator realize he forgot to pack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
2. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
3. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
4. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
5. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
6. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
7. Describe the Shepherd family's annual summer vacation.
8. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
9. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
10. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)