|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
(a) Pork and beans.
(c) Pumpkin pie.
(d) Deep-fried chocolate bars.
2. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) Some of the home crafts.
(b) A magic show.
(c) The dogs and cats show.
(d) The clown acts.
3. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
(a) He tells everyone but Flick.
(c) He tells only Flick.
4. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
(a) He says he can't wait to go fishing.
(b) He laments out loud that this is the worst trip ever.
(c) He reminds his father that he forgot to pack his gear.
(d) He says he'll stay in the cabin reading comic books.
5. According to the book, important industries of Northern Indiana are steel mills and what else?
(a) Oil refineries.
(b) Car manufacturers.
(d) Candy factories.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
2. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
3. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
4. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
5. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator ride the Whirligig Rocket Whip?
2. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
3. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
4. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
5. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
6. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
7. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
8. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
9. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
10. How does Delbert Bumpus disrupt life at school?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)