|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
(a) Two tiny cubicles inside the vehicle.
(b) The front seat with Mother and the Old Man.
(c) The tiny travel trailer hitched to the car.
(d) Sitting on top of the cooler in the far back.
2. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
(a) Pork and beans.
(b) Pumpkin pie.
(c) Deep-fried chocolate bars.
3. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
(a) Joe Firebender.
(b) Walt Whedbe.
(c) Duke Grunion.
(d) Anthony Dombruni.
4. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The Old Man and his two sons.
(b) The Old Man and Mother only.
(c) Randy and his brother only.
(d) The four members of the Shepherd family.
5. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
(a) It ages overnight.
(b) Two new rooms are added in the back.
(c) It gets toilet papered.
(d) It's painted purple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
2. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
3. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
4. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
5. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
2. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
3. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
4. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
5. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
6. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
7. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
8. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
9. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
10. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)