|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Plastic alligators and chipped gnomes.
(b) License plates, tire pumps, and old batteries.
(c) Fountains, flowers, and chipped pottery.
(d) Abstract art sculptures and rain barrels.
2. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
(a) His birthday.
(d) July 4th.
3. What does the Old Man do two weeks prior to the family's departure for their annual Michigan vacation?
(a) Maps out the trip route, complete with stops and detours.
(b) Starts telling everybody at work about his upcoming trip.
(c) Checks out library books to read during his vacation.
(d) Has a tuneup performed on their car.
4. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
(a) Chocolate donut.
(b) Taffy apple.
(c) Cream soda.
(d) Peach candy.
5. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) Some of the home crafts.
(b) A magic show.
(c) The dogs and cats show.
(d) The clown acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
2. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
3. Which of the following are NOT found in the Bumpus' yard?
4. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
5. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
2. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
3. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
4. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
5. How does Delbert Bumpus disrupt life at school?
6. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
7. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
8. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
9. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
10. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)