|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
(a) "There's no good top men around here, anyway."
(b) "I can beat anybody, even the best top player here."
(c) "Our school has never produced a top champion."
(d) "Top spinning is the easiest thing in the world."
2. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
3. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(b) The Old Man.
4. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Magazine article.
5. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(b) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(c) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(d) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator and his family eat practically the same thing every day, except on what occasion?
2. How many Bumpuses move next door to the narrator and his family?
3. Where do most kids get their tops from?
4. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
5. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is top spinning, and why are the boys of Warren G. Harding Elementary School so obsessed with this pastime?
2. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
3. On departure day, why does the Shepherd family fail to leave for their annual trip at six in the morning as planned?
4. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
5. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
6. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
7. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
8. Describe the Shepherd family's arrival at Ollie Hopnoodle's resort in Clear Lake.
9. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
10. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)