|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Hopnoodle's store.
(b) Pulaski's shop.
(d) Mail order.
2. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
(a) Packing the car.
(b) Making waffles.
(c) Yelling at the neighbors.
3. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(b) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(c) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
(d) A quilt commemorating beer making.
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) His experience is identical to the movie.
(b) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
(c) His experience is completely different from the movie.
(d) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
5. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) Garage sales.
(b) Farmers' market.
(c) Thrift store.
(d) City dump.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
2. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
3. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
4. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
5. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Mother prepares the traditional Easter ham.
2. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
3. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
4. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
5. Describe the race that the Old Man and the narrator watch at the County Fair.
6. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
7. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
8. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
9. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
10. How does the narrator trick Farkas into challenging him to a battle of spinning tops?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)