|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
(a) It's painted purple.
(b) It ages overnight.
(c) It gets toilet papered.
(d) Two new rooms are added in the back.
2. When the narrator starts spinning tops against opponents other than Scut, what does he use?
(a) Lesser quality tops.
(b) Borrowed tops.
(c) Broken tops.
(d) His best top.
3. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
4. On the morning of the family's departure for their Michigan trip, Mother is in the kitchen scrambling eggs and making coffee while the Old Man is doing what?
(a) Making waffles.
(c) Packing the car.
(d) Yelling at the neighbors.
5. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
(a) Sets up a practice schedule to hone his skills.
(b) Reads a book written by a master top spinner.
(c) Gets Flick to teach him new techniques.
(d) Spies on Farkas to see how he does it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
2. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
3. How long does the ham that Mother prepares have to sit in the oven to rest?
4. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
5. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
2. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
3. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
4. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
5. Explain how the narrator prepares for his spinning tops battle against Farkas.
6. Who does most of the work when it's time to prepare for the narrator's annual vacation?
7. What happens after the narrator uses a dummy top and lets Farkas win the first round?
8. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
9. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
10. What are some of the misadventures the family experiences on their drive to Michigan?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)