|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
(a) That the teacher doesn't catch them.
(b) That Farkas doesn't turn on them.
(c) That it doesn't start raining.
(d) That for once, someone is able to beat Farkas.
2. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Special edition top.
(b) Fighting top.
(c) Sparking top.
(d) Red top.
3. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
(b) His experience is completely different from the movie.
(c) His experience is identical to the movie.
(d) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
5. When Farkas starts walking away from the narrator after their first top spinning contest, what does the narrator do?
(a) Runs after Farkas and tackles him to the ground.
(b) Spends another two weeks practicing to improve his technique.
(c) Brings out his best top and throws it with an ominous spin.
(d) Laughs at his opponent, calling him a chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
2. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
3. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
4. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
5. Halfway along the journey to Michigan, what does the narrator realize he forgot to pack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
2. How does the narrator describe getting to the County Fair?
3. How does the Old Man handle all the problems the family encounters en route to Michigan?
4. Which member of the narrator's family seems to be the most excited at the County Fair?
5. How does the Old Man feel towards the Bumpus family?
6. What is the final outcome of the battle of the spinning tops between Scut Farkas and the narrator?
7. What happens when Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator ride the Whirligig Rocket Whip?
8. Where does the narrator find a top worthy of a battle against Scut Farkas, the school's bully and master top spinner?
9. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
10. How does the house next door to the Shepherds transform after the Bumpus family moves in?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)