|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the school the narrator attends?
(a) Chester A. Arthur.
(b) James K. Polk.
(c) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(d) Warren G. Harding.
2. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
(a) Mother tells him to not worry because he'll have fun anyway.
(b) The Old Man reprimands him while he weeps.
(c) The Old Man stops at a store to buy another one.
(d) Randy laughs at him until the narrator punches him.
3. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
(a) The resort and several others nearby are completely full.
(b) The Old Man left his wallet at the gas station, and Mother forgot the bug spray.
(c) A bear encounter and a cabin with no door.
(d) Rain and a power outage.
4. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) King-size tent.
(b) Deluxe room.
(c) Green cabin.
(d) Larger houseboat.
5. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(b) Hopnoodle's store.
(c) Mail order.
(d) Pulaski's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
2. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
3. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
4. The narrator and his family eat practically the same thing every day, except on what occasion?
5. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the Shepherd family's County Fair excursion, what is the Old Man's assessment?
2. Where do the Bumpuses make their illegal liquor?
3. What happens when Randy, the Old Man, and the narrator ride the Whirligig Rocket Whip?
4. Who does most of the work when it's time to prepare for the narrator's annual vacation?
5. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
6. How does the author lead the narrator into telling the story of his top-spinning battle with Scut Farkas?
7. Describe some of what makes the Shepherd family a traditional one.
8. During their road trip, the narrator is convinced that he left his fishing gear back home. What does he discover about his gear at the end of the story?
9. Describe the sense of anticipation the Shepherd family members feel as they prepare to experience the County Fair. What is each family member looking forward to the most?
10. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)