|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(b) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(c) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(d) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
2. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
(a) To the fire-breathing act.
(b) To the dusty dirt track.
(c) Riding the carousel.
(d) Riding the bumper cars.
3. The Old Man is a lifelong fan of which baseball team?
(a) Chicago White Sox.
(b) Detroit Tigers.
(c) Cincinnati Reds.
(d) New York Mets.
4. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
5. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) The fair seems to get better each year.
(b) He ate way too much.
(c) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
(d) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
2. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
3. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
4. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
5. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict exists for the narrator regarding the night of the party that he's invited to by Josephine?
2. What happens to the adult narrator's fire chief hat?
3. How do the brothers behave at the County Fair?
4. Describe some of the interesting sights the four members of the Shepherd family see while they are together at the County Fair.
5. What are some of the items the narrator finds in the box of toys his mother sends him when he's an adult?
6. What are the Mariah and the Wolf?
7. Describe the yard of the Bumpus family.
8. Describe the conditions inside the car during the drive to Clear Lake, Michigan.
9. Describe Daphne Bigelow, the girl of the narrator's dreams.
10. What impression does the narrator make on Mr. Bigelow, Daphne's dad?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)