|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Story 7, what does the narrator do with his box of childhood memories?
(a) Puts it away in his closet.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Mails it to his brother.
(d) Donates it to Goodwill.
2. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) She should not wear a trashy dress.
(b) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(c) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
(d) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
3. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
(a) He accidentally kisses her on the nose instead.
(b) He's so drunk that intead of kissing her, he pats her on the back and walks away.
(c) He tries to kiss her but hastily leaves upon smelling sauerkraut on her breath.
(d) The porch light comes on and interrupts their kiss.
4. Who answers the door when the narrator goes to Daphne's house?
(b) Her sister.
(c) The butler.
(d) Her father.
5. When the narrator emerges from the bathroom after preparing for his date with Josie, his face is covered with what?
(a) Acne cream.
(b) Tissue scraps.
(d) Aftershave lotion.
6. As the narrator nervously talks with Mr. Bigelow, he does what?
(a) Brags about being a star basketball player and top student.
(b) Chokes on an appetizer and turns beet red.
(c) Accidentally calls the man Mr. Bumpus.
(d) Fumbles with coins and spills sherry.
7. What does the narrator say that his family puts on their typical meals of meatloaf, red cabbage, and mashed potatoes?
(a) An overabundance of pepper.
(b) Buckets of tabasco sauce.
(c) Tons of salt.
(d) Gallons of ketchup.
8. How does the narrator feel when, as an adult, he receives a mysterious package?
(a) Old and burned out.
(b) Completely indifferent.
(c) First excited, then overcome by dread and caution.
(d) Like he's five-years-old again.
9. While the narrator is watering the lawn, who walks by?
(a) Scut Farkas.
(b) Mr. Pulaski.
(c) Daphne Bigelow.
(d) Wanda Hickey.
10. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
(a) Flick and Fiona.
(b) Daphne and Lyle.
(c) Josephine and Arnold.
(d) Schwartz and Clara.
11. When his friends ask the narrator who he plans to invite to the big dance, what does he say?
(a) Penelope Sanders.
(b) Daphne Bigelow.
(c) Wanda Hickey.
(d) Josephine Cosnowski.
12. In Daphne's neighborhood, the narrator notices that there is no smell of oil refineries in the air and even what?
(a) The roads are cleaner.
(b) The trees grow taller.
(c) The houses are bigger.
(d) The flowers are brighter.
13. During Spring semester in Biology II class, Daphne is what?
(a) Assigned to tutor the narrator in class.
(b) Showing romantic interest in the narrator.
(c) Absent for three weeks.
(d) Assigned to be the narrator's lab partner.
14. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
(a) A member of the Bumpus family.
(b) One of Daphne's former boyfriends.
(c) One of the Pittsburgh Steel Shepherds.
(d) The son of a wealthy socialite.
15. How does the narrator leave the party he attends with Josie?
(a) Drives home with Josie.
(b) Rides his bike.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Drives home alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Long after the Bumpuses move out, who moves in next door to the narrator?
2. When the narrator and Josie reach the party destination, where does he think he is?
3. When the narrator goes to Pulaski's grocery store on an errand for Mother, he talks to Howie, who used to do what?
4. What sounds does the narrator hear from the package that he receives as an adult?
5. One of the adult narrator's prized collections is a set of first edition comics of what cartoon?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)