|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the biggest event of the narrator's junior year in high school?
(a) Junior Prom.
(c) Inaugural Prom.
(d) Valentine's Day Dance.
2. What do Daphne and the narrator watch at the Orpheum?
(a) Charlie Chaplin movie.
(b) John Wayne movie.
(c) Gone With The Wind.
(d) Little Rascals.
3. When the narrator emerges from the bathroom after preparing for his date with Josie, his face is covered with what?
(a) Acne cream.
(b) Aftershave lotion.
(c) Tissue scraps.
4. In old cartoons, who was Wimpy?
(a) Orphan Annie's uncle.
(b) Sylvester's friend.
(c) Popeye's sidekick.
(d) Betty Boop's boyfriend.
5. As the narrator nervously talks with Mr. Bigelow, he does what?
(a) Fumbles with coins and spills sherry.
(b) Accidentally calls the man Mr. Bumpus.
(c) Chokes on an appetizer and turns beet red.
(d) Brags about being a star basketball player and top student.
6. During Spring semester in Biology II class, Daphne is what?
(a) Absent for three weeks.
(b) Assigned to be the narrator's lab partner.
(c) Showing romantic interest in the narrator.
(d) Assigned to tutor the narrator in class.
7. When the narrator is invited inside his neighbors' house, what is he expected to do while he waits for Josie to finish getting ready?
(a) Stand in the hallway until she's ready.
(b) Share his life story with her parents.
(c) Reveal what he plans to do after high school.
(d) Partake of a heavy meal.
8. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
(a) Josephine and Arnold.
(b) Flick and Fiona.
(c) Schwartz and Clara.
(d) Daphne and Lyle.
9. What comment does Josie's mother make after her daughter appears, now ready for the party?
(a) This is Josie's first date ever.
(b) One day Josie will make a good wife.
(c) Josie made her outfit by herself.
(d) The narrator had better treat Josie right.
10. Why did Howie quit high school?
(a) He never liked school.
(b) To work and support his aging parents.
(c) He was failing.
(d) To get married.
11. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
(b) She should not wear a trashy dress.
(c) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(d) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
12. What happens to the adult narrator's childhood fire chief hat?
(a) Falls out a window.
(b) Is sat upon and crushed.
(c) Gets chewed up by a dog.
(d) Is stolen by a toy collector.
13. Who answers the door when the narrator goes to Daphne's house?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister.
(c) The butler.
14. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
(a) Red wine.
(b) Ice cream sodas.
(c) Cherry cokes.
(d) Another round.
15. In what major way did Maxwell Bigelow help the community?
(a) Paid for a second gym at the high school.
(b) Built a homeless shelter.
(c) Donated the ice skating rink to the park.
(d) Opened a soup kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Story 7, what does the narrator do with his box of childhood memories?
2. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
3. Before the narrator can invite a girl to the Spring Dance, he decides that first they must what?
4. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
5. When his friends ask the narrator who he plans to invite to the big dance, what does he say?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)