|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
(a) To count how many people live there.
(b) They hope to be invited in for milk and cookies.
(c) To see if there are any boys their age in the family.
(d) To catch a glimpse of the exotic beauty who is their age.
2. How does the narrator get to the Bigelow family's neighborhood?
(a) Long bike ride.
(b) Takes the family car.
(c) Gets a ride from his father.
(d) Long bus ride.
3. What does the narrator start to worry about at the party with Josie?
(a) That her parents will never like him.
(b) That his friends will make fun of him next time they see him.
(c) That Josie is far too pretty for a regular guy like him.
(d) That he'll have to get married and drop out of high school.
4. What does the narrator say that his family puts on their typical meals of meatloaf, red cabbage, and mashed potatoes?
(a) An overabundance of pepper.
(b) Gallons of ketchup.
(c) Buckets of tabasco sauce.
(d) Tons of salt.
5. What do Daphne and the narrator watch at the Orpheum?
(a) Charlie Chaplin movie.
(b) Little Rascals.
(c) John Wayne movie.
(d) Gone With The Wind.
6. In Story Five, when the narrator, Schwartz, and Flick hitchhike home from school, who picks them up?
(a) Mr. Pulaski.
(b) Rough-looking steelworker.
(c) Their math teacher.
(d) Their basketball coach.
7. In old cartoons, who was Wimpy?
(a) Betty Boop's boyfriend.
(b) Orphan Annie's uncle.
(c) Popeye's sidekick.
(d) Sylvester's friend.
8. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
(a) Flick and Fiona.
(b) Schwartz and Clara.
(c) Daphne and Lyle.
(d) Josephine and Arnold.
9. The night of his first date with the neighbor girl, how long does it take the narrator to bathe and groom?
(a) Three and a half hours.
(b) An hour.
(c) Just under two hours.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
10. When does the narrator share with his family the news of his date with Daphne?
(a) While grocery shopping.
(b) During dinner.
(c) Right after school.
(d) As they sit in the parlor listening to the radio.
11. As the narrator prepares for his first date with Daphne, he goes through half a bar of Lifebuoy soap, Old Spice talcum powder, and what else?
(a) Pepsodent toothpaste and a gallon of Listerine mouthwash.
(b) A bottle of Ralph Lauren cologne.
(c) Three Gillette razors and a can of Barbasol shaving cream.
(d) A stick of Drysol deodorant.
12. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) She should not wear a trashy dress.
(b) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
(c) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(d) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
13. The prom outfit for each boy includes a white jacket, dark trousers, shoes, socks, shirt, tie, boutonniere, and what else?
(a) Top hat.
(d) Matching handkerchief.
14. When the Spring Dance is announced, who does the narrator decide to invite?
(a) Daphne Bigelow.
(b) Josie Cosnowski.
(c) Wanda Hickey.
(d) Penelope Sanders.
15. On the big day of the prom, who helps the narrator get into his painful formal wear?
(c) The Old Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Spring semester in Biology II class, Daphne is what?
2. Long after the Bumpuses move out, who moves in next door to the narrator?
3. One of the adult narrator's prized collections is a set of first edition comics of what cartoon?
4. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
5. What is the name of the new girl next door whom the narrator is smitten by?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)