|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
(a) To catch a glimpse of the exotic beauty who is their age.
(b) To count how many people live there.
(c) They hope to be invited in for milk and cookies.
(d) To see if there are any boys their age in the family.
2. How does the narrator get to the Bigelow family's neighborhood?
(a) Long bus ride.
(b) Takes the family car.
(c) Gets a ride from his father.
(d) Long bike ride.
3. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
(a) He accidentally kisses her on the nose instead.
(b) He's so drunk that intead of kissing her, he pats her on the back and walks away.
(c) He tries to kiss her but hastily leaves upon smelling sauerkraut on her breath.
(d) The porch light comes on and interrupts their kiss.
4. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
(a) One of the Pittsburgh Steel Shepherds.
(b) One of Daphne's former boyfriends.
(c) A member of the Bumpus family.
(d) The son of a wealthy socialite.
5. In Story 7, the narrator is what?
(a) Just starting out on his own.
(b) Fully grown.
(c) Celebrating his eighteenth birthday.
(d) Applying for a job.
6. To the narrator, Daphne Bigelow is what?
(a) Snobbish, elitist, and no fun to be around.
(b) The school's biggest braniac.
(c) The personification of everything ideal in a girl.
(d) Charming, funny, and witty, but accident prone.
7. As an adult, the narrator lives in what type of dwelling?
(a) Low-income housing.
(b) A penthouse.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A house.
8. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
(a) Works two jobs to make ends meet.
(b) Volunteers in the community.
(c) Eats at a soup kitchen for the homeless.
(d) Runs his own business.
9. How does the narrator feel when, as an adult, he receives a mysterious package?
(a) Old and burned out.
(b) Like he's five-years-old again.
(c) First excited, then overcome by dread and caution.
(d) Completely indifferent.
10. What is the name of the new girl next door whom the narrator is smitten by?
11. What conflict does the narrator face between the girl next door and basketball?
(a) Her boyfriend is on the narrator's basketball team.
(b) He's attending a party with her on the night of a big basketball game.
(c) She wants to watch him play basketball, but he's no good.
(d) He loves basketball, but she has an irrational fear of basketball courts.
12. What does the narrator start to worry about at the party with Josie?
(a) That her parents will never like him.
(b) That he'll have to get married and drop out of high school.
(c) That Josie is far too pretty for a regular guy like him.
(d) That his friends will make fun of him next time they see him.
13. Why did Howie quit high school?
(a) To get married.
(b) To work and support his aging parents.
(c) He was failing.
(d) He never liked school.
14. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
(a) Another round.
(b) Red wine.
(c) Ice cream sodas.
(d) Cherry cokes.
15. The Bigelow family's chauffeur drives Daphne and the narrator to the Orpheum in what?
(b) Rolls Royce.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator invite the girl of his dreams on a date?
2. After his date with Daphne, how does the narrator get home?
3. When his friends ask the narrator who he plans to invite to the big dance, what does he say?
4. What does the narrator, as an adult, receive from his mother?
5. By the time Josie and the narrator have reached their homes walking from the grocery store, what has transpired?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)