|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Josie's mother make after her daughter appears, now ready for the party?
(a) One day Josie will make a good wife.
(b) This is Josie's first date ever.
(c) The narrator had better treat Josie right.
(d) Josie made her outfit by herself.
2. How does Wanda feel about the narrator?
(a) She thinks he's cute but dull.
(b) She's had a crush on him for years and thinks she may love him.
(c) She thinks he's OK but she wishes Schwartz had asked her to the prom.
(d) She's disgusted by what he orders at the Rooster.
3. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
(a) Josephine and Arnold.
(b) Daphne and Lyle.
(c) Flick and Fiona.
(d) Schwartz and Clara.
4. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
(a) He's mesmerized.
(b) He almost passes out.
(c) He feels underdressed.
(d) He wonders why she's dressed so casually.
5. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
(a) Works two jobs to make ends meet.
(b) Volunteers in the community.
(c) Runs his own business.
(d) Eats at a soup kitchen for the homeless.
6. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
(a) Everybody's ready for a milkshake.
(b) People are gasping for air.
(c) His car is soaked from a passing rain shower.
(d) Everyone's sick of the whole mess.
7. Who does the narrator finally invite to the prom?
(a) Almira Davidson.
(b) Jenny Lunt.
(c) Daphne Bigelow.
(d) Wanda Hickey.
8. When the narrator emerges from the bathroom after bathing and grooming for his date with the girl next door, what condition is the bathroom in?
(a) The room reeks of shaving cream and hair spray.
(b) The walls are dripping wet and the paint is peeling.
(c) The bathroom floor is soaking wet.
(d) No soap or hot water are left.
9. On the big day of the prom, who helps the narrator get into his painful formal wear?
(c) The Old Man.
10. As an adult, the narrator is a former what?
(c) Police officer.
11. In Story Five, when the narrator, Schwartz, and Flick hitchhike home from school, who picks them up?
(a) Mr. Pulaski.
(b) Their math teacher.
(c) Their basketball coach.
(d) Rough-looking steelworker.
12. While the narrator is watering the lawn, who walks by?
(a) Scut Farkas.
(b) Daphne Bigelow.
(c) Wanda Hickey.
(d) Mr. Pulaski.
13. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) She should not wear a trashy dress.
(b) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
(c) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(d) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
14. When the narrator is invited inside his neighbors' house, what is he expected to do while he waits for Josie to finish getting ready?
(a) Share his life story with her parents.
(b) Partake of a heavy meal.
(c) Reveal what he plans to do after high school.
(d) Stand in the hallway until she's ready.
15. What does the narrator do when he meets Josie on the way home from Pulaski's store?
(a) Offers her a candy bar.
(b) Trips and falls in front of her.
(c) Grows shy and walks away.
(d) Helps her with her groceries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that his family puts on their typical meals of meatloaf, red cabbage, and mashed potatoes?
2. In his daydreams, the narrator envisions himself impressing his lady friend with what dance?
3. What sounds does the narrator hear from the package that he receives as an adult?
4. The night of his first date with the neighbor girl, how long does it take the narrator to bathe and groom?
5. At the end of Story 7, what does the narrator do with his box of childhood memories?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)