|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night of his first date with the neighbor girl, how long does it take the narrator to bathe and groom?
(a) An hour.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Just under two hours.
(d) Three and a half hours.
2. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
(a) He wonders why she's dressed so casually.
(b) He almost passes out.
(c) He's mesmerized.
(d) He feels underdressed.
3. When the narrator emerges from the bathroom after preparing for his date with Josie, his face is covered with what?
(a) Acne cream.
(b) Tissue scraps.
(c) Aftershave lotion.
4. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
(a) One of Daphne's former boyfriends.
(b) A member of the Bumpus family.
(c) The son of a wealthy socialite.
(d) One of the Pittsburgh Steel Shepherds.
5. In what major way did Maxwell Bigelow help the community?
(a) Built a homeless shelter.
(b) Opened a soup kitchen.
(c) Paid for a second gym at the high school.
(d) Donated the ice skating rink to the park.
6. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
(a) He tries to kiss her but hastily leaves upon smelling sauerkraut on her breath.
(b) The porch light comes on and interrupts their kiss.
(c) He accidentally kisses her on the nose instead.
(d) He's so drunk that intead of kissing her, he pats her on the back and walks away.
7. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
(a) They hope to be invited in for milk and cookies.
(b) To see if there are any boys their age in the family.
(c) To count how many people live there.
(d) To catch a glimpse of the exotic beauty who is their age.
8. Before the narrator can invite a girl to the Spring Dance, he decides that first they must what?
(a) Complete their class project.
(b) Learn how to dance.
(c) Have lunch together at the cafeteria.
(d) Have a regular date.
9. The Bigelow family's chauffeur drives Daphne and the narrator to the Orpheum in what?
(b) Rolls Royce.
10. After his date with Daphne, how does the narrator get home?
(a) Is driven by the chauffeur.
(c) Hitches a ride.
(d) Rides his bike.
11. The prom outfit for each boy includes a white jacket, dark trousers, shoes, socks, shirt, tie, boutonniere, and what else?
(b) Matching handkerchief.
(d) Top hat.
12. While the narrator is watering the lawn, who walks by?
(a) Scut Farkas.
(b) Wanda Hickey.
(c) Mr. Pulaski.
(d) Daphne Bigelow.
13. The night of his date with Josie, the narrator arrives with what?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) The family car.
(c) A box of chocolates.
(d) His bicycle.
14. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
(a) Ice cream sodas.
(b) Red wine.
(c) Another round.
(d) Cherry cokes.
15. What does the narrator do when he meets Josie on the way home from Pulaski's store?
(a) Helps her with her groceries.
(b) Grows shy and walks away.
(c) Trips and falls in front of her.
(d) Offers her a candy bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator goes to Pulaski's grocery store on an errand for Mother, he talks to Howie, who used to do what?
2. Why is the adult narrator embarrassed when the doorman sees him?
3. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
4. Where do we find the narrator at the beginning of Story 7?
5. When the Spring Dance is announced, who does the narrator decide to invite?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)