|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the doorman retrieves a childhood toy for the adult narrator, who does he have to fight for it?
(a) Senile old man who found it.
(b) Thrift shop owner.
(c) Little boy who had picked it up.
(d) Local auctioneer.
2. How does the narrator get to the Bigelow family's neighborhood?
(a) Gets a ride from his father.
(b) Long bus ride.
(c) Long bike ride.
(d) Takes the family car.
3. Why did Howie quit high school?
(a) To work and support his aging parents.
(b) To get married.
(c) He never liked school.
(d) He was failing.
4. During Spring semester in Biology II class, Daphne is what?
(a) Assigned to be the narrator's lab partner.
(b) Assigned to tutor the narrator in class.
(c) Showing romantic interest in the narrator.
(d) Absent for three weeks.
5. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
(a) To count how many people live there.
(b) They hope to be invited in for milk and cookies.
(c) To catch a glimpse of the exotic beauty who is their age.
(d) To see if there are any boys their age in the family.
6. What does the narrator start to worry about at the party with Josie?
(a) That his friends will make fun of him next time they see him.
(b) That he'll have to get married and drop out of high school.
(c) That Josie is far too pretty for a regular guy like him.
(d) That her parents will never like him.
7. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(b) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
(c) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
(d) She should not wear a trashy dress.
8. In what major way did Maxwell Bigelow help the community?
(a) Opened a soup kitchen.
(b) Donated the ice skating rink to the park.
(c) Built a homeless shelter.
(d) Paid for a second gym at the high school.
9. What does the narrator do when he meets Josie on the way home from Pulaski's store?
(a) Offers her a candy bar.
(b) Grows shy and walks away.
(c) Trips and falls in front of her.
(d) Helps her with her groceries.
10. What is the second item the narrator pulls out of the package he receives as an adult?
(a) Fuzzy Elephant.
(b) Mighty Monkey.
(c) Crazy Clown.
(d) Wimpy Doll.
11. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
(a) He accidentally kisses her on the nose instead.
(b) He's so drunk that intead of kissing her, he pats her on the back and walks away.
(c) He tries to kiss her but hastily leaves upon smelling sauerkraut on her breath.
(d) The porch light comes on and interrupts their kiss.
12. Once inside the party location with Josie, the narrator realizes he's at a what?
(a) Movie theater.
(d) Community center.
13. How does Wanda feel about the narrator?
(a) She thinks he's OK but she wishes Schwartz had asked her to the prom.
(b) She thinks he's cute but dull.
(c) She's had a crush on him for years and thinks she may love him.
(d) She's disgusted by what he orders at the Rooster.
14. The narrator notes that Howie used to be fun, but now he's always what?
15. When Mr. Bigelow chats with the narrator as he waits for Daphne at her house, the man mistakes the young man for who?
(a) One of the Pittsburgh Steel Shepherds.
(b) One of Daphne's former boyfriends.
(c) The son of a wealthy socialite.
(d) A member of the Bumpus family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Long after the Bumpuses move out, who moves in next door to the narrator?
2. How does the narrator leave the party he attends with Josie?
3. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
4. Why is the adult narrator embarrassed when the doorman sees him?
5. Who does the narrator find in his biology class?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)