|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator react when he sees Josie all dressed up for the party?
(a) He's mesmerized.
(b) He feels underdressed.
(c) He wonders why she's dressed so casually.
(d) He almost passes out.
2. During what holiday do we find the narrator at the start of Story 7?
(c) Valentine's Day.
3. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
(a) Ice cream sodas.
(b) Another round.
(c) Cherry cokes.
(d) Red wine.
4. Who does the narrator finally invite to the prom?
(a) Daphne Bigelow.
(b) Wanda Hickey.
(c) Jenny Lunt.
(d) Almira Davidson.
5. Why do the narrator and his friends parade in front of their neighbors' house after a new family moves in?
(a) To count how many people live there.
(b) They hope to be invited in for milk and cookies.
(c) To catch a glimpse of the exotic beauty who is their age.
(d) To see if there are any boys their age in the family.
6. Once inside the party location with Josie, the narrator realizes he's at a what?
(a) Community center.
(d) Movie theater.
7. In Story Five, when the narrator, Schwartz, and Flick hitchhike home from school, who picks them up?
(a) Their math teacher.
(b) Mr. Pulaski.
(c) Their basketball coach.
(d) Rough-looking steelworker.
8. The night of his date with Josie, the narrator arrives with what?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A box of chocolates.
(c) His bicycle.
(d) The family car.
9. What does Howie do now, since quitting high school?
(a) Volunteers in the community.
(b) Works two jobs to make ends meet.
(c) Runs his own business.
(d) Eats at a soup kitchen for the homeless.
10. What conflict does the narrator face between the girl next door and basketball?
(a) He's attending a party with her on the night of a big basketball game.
(b) Her boyfriend is on the narrator's basketball team.
(c) She wants to watch him play basketball, but he's no good.
(d) He loves basketball, but she has an irrational fear of basketball courts.
11. As an adult, the narrator is a former what?
(c) Police officer.
12. In Story 7, the narrator is what?
(a) Applying for a job.
(b) Celebrating his eighteenth birthday.
(c) Fully grown.
(d) Just starting out on his own.
13. As an adult, the narrator lives in what type of dwelling?
(a) Low-income housing.
(b) A house.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A penthouse.
14. What do Daphne and the narrator watch at the Orpheum?
(a) Gone With The Wind.
(b) Charlie Chaplin movie.
(c) John Wayne movie.
(d) Little Rascals.
15. What does the Old Man believe regarding one's prom date?
(a) She should not wear a trashy dress.
(b) The choice for prom date can foretell one's future.
(c) She should look better than the boy she's with.
(d) The boy must show utter and complete respect towards his date.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wanda feel about the narrator?
2. What sounds does the narrator hear from the package that he receives as an adult?
3. The narrator notes that Howie used to be fun, but now he's always what?
4. During Spring semester in Biology II class, Daphne is what?
5. Where must the narrator and his friends rent prom clothes from?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)