|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator and Josie reach the party destination, where does he think he is?
(a) House of a wealthy family.
(b) The Elks Club.
(c) A new club in town.
(d) Two counties over.
2. After the prom dance, Schwartz and the narrator take their dates to the Rooster where, trying to impress, they order what?
(c) Foie gras.
3. When his friends ask the narrator who he plans to invite to the big dance, what does he say?
(a) Josephine Cosnowski.
(b) Penelope Sanders.
(c) Daphne Bigelow.
(d) Wanda Hickey.
4. Where must the narrator and his friends rent prom clothes from?
(a) Anthony's Fancy Clothes.
(b) Gizelle's Swanky Threads.
(c) Al Swank's Formalwear.
(d) Julie Bee's Formal Suits & Gowns.
5. How does the narrator get to the Bigelow family's neighborhood?
(a) Long bike ride.
(b) Takes the family car.
(c) Gets a ride from his father.
(d) Long bus ride.
6. What happens to the adult narrator's childhood fire chief hat?
(a) Falls out a window.
(b) Gets chewed up by a dog.
(c) Is stolen by a toy collector.
(d) Is sat upon and crushed.
7. One of the adult narrator's prized collections is a set of first edition comics of what cartoon?
8. How does the narrator leave the party he attends with Josie?
(a) Rides his bike.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Drives home alone.
(d) Drives home with Josie.
9. As the narrator prepares for his first date with Daphne, he goes through half a bar of Lifebuoy soap, Old Spice talcum powder, and what else?
(a) A stick of Drysol deodorant.
(b) A bottle of Ralph Lauren cologne.
(c) Pepsodent toothpaste and a gallon of Listerine mouthwash.
(d) Three Gillette razors and a can of Barbasol shaving cream.
10. Why is the adult narrator embarrassed when the doorman sees him?
(a) He forgot to tip the doorman that week.
(b) He has chocolate on his face and spilled milk on his trousers.
(c) In his hurry to open his mysterious package, he forgot to get dressed.
(d) He's covered in toys from his youth, including a space helmet and a zap gun.
11. When the narrator is invited inside his neighbors' house, what is he expected to do while he waits for Josie to finish getting ready?
(a) Reveal what he plans to do after high school.
(b) Partake of a heavy meal.
(c) Stand in the hallway until she's ready.
(d) Share his life story with her parents.
12. What comment does Josie's mother make after her daughter appears, now ready for the party?
(a) Josie made her outfit by herself.
(b) This is Josie's first date ever.
(c) One day Josie will make a good wife.
(d) The narrator had better treat Josie right.
13. What is the narrator wearing on his date with Daphne?
(a) Charcoal gray pinstripe suit.
(b) Baby blue trousers.
(c) Red velvet vest.
(d) Electric blue sports coat.
14. What is the name of the new girl next door whom the narrator is smitten by?
15. As the narrator nervously talks with Mr. Bigelow, he does what?
(a) Chokes on an appetizer and turns beet red.
(b) Fumbles with coins and spills sherry.
(c) Brags about being a star basketball player and top student.
(d) Accidentally calls the man Mr. Bumpus.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator and his date accompany another couple to the prom on a double-date. Who is the other couple?
2. When the narrator goes to Pulaski's grocery store on an errand for Mother, he talks to Howie, who used to do what?
3. Who does the narrator finally invite to the prom?
4. What is the biggest event of the narrator's junior year in high school?
5. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)