|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Daphne's neighborhood, the narrator notices that there is no smell of oil refineries in the air and even what?
(a) The houses are bigger.
(b) The roads are cleaner.
(c) The trees grow taller.
(d) The flowers are brighter.
2. What do Schwartz and the narrator order after finishing the first item they order?
(a) Cherry cokes.
(b) Red wine.
(c) Ice cream sodas.
(d) Another round.
3. As an adult, the narrator is a former what?
(d) Police officer.
4. When the narrator goes to Pulaski's grocery store on an errand for Mother, he talks to Howie, who used to do what?
(a) March with the band.
(b) Play on his softball team.
(c) Sing with the high school men's choir.
(d) Play high school football.
5. Once inside the party location with Josie, the narrator realizes he's at a what?
(b) Community center.
(c) Movie theater.
6. The night of his date with Josie, the narrator arrives with what?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A box of chocolates.
(c) The family car.
(d) His bicycle.
7. At the end of Story 7, what does the narrator do with his box of childhood memories?
(a) Donates it to Goodwill.
(b) Mails it to his brother.
(c) Puts it away in his closet.
(d) Burns it.
8. When the narrator and Josie reach the party destination, where does he think he is?
(a) A new club in town.
(b) House of a wealthy family.
(c) Two counties over.
(d) The Elks Club.
9. In what major way did Maxwell Bigelow help the community?
(a) Donated the ice skating rink to the park.
(b) Paid for a second gym at the high school.
(c) Opened a soup kitchen.
(d) Built a homeless shelter.
10. Who does the narrator finally invite to the prom?
(a) Daphne Bigelow.
(b) Almira Davidson.
(c) Wanda Hickey.
(d) Jenny Lunt.
11. In Story 7, the narrator is what?
(a) Applying for a job.
(b) Fully grown.
(c) Just starting out on his own.
(d) Celebrating his eighteenth birthday.
12. Why did Howie quit high school?
(a) He was failing.
(b) To get married.
(c) To work and support his aging parents.
(d) He never liked school.
13. What is the narrator wearing on his date with Daphne?
(a) Electric blue sports coat.
(b) Red velvet vest.
(c) Charcoal gray pinstripe suit.
(d) Baby blue trousers.
14. By the end of the formal dance, the narrator says that flowers are wilted, jackets are limp, and what else?
(a) Everyone's sick of the whole mess.
(b) People are gasping for air.
(c) His car is soaked from a passing rain shower.
(d) Everybody's ready for a milkshake.
15. After his date with Daphne, how does the narrator get home?
(a) Is driven by the chauffeur.
(b) Hitches a ride.
(c) Rides his bike.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator opens a package that he receives as an adult, what is the first item he pulls out?
2. How does the narrator feel when, as an adult, he receives a mysterious package?
3. In old cartoons, who was Wimpy?
4. What happens to the adult narrator's childhood fire chief hat?
5. What happens to the goodnight kiss between Wanda and the narrator?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)