|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Torpedo Blaster.
(b) Enormo Gordo Run.
(c) Whirligig Rocket Whip.
(d) Lightning Strike.
2. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) His driveway.
(b) His basement.
(c) Flick's backyard.
(d) School gym.
3. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
(a) He laments out loud that this is the worst trip ever.
(b) He reminds his father that he forgot to pack his gear.
(c) He says he'll stay in the cabin reading comic books.
(d) He says he can't wait to go fishing.
4. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Father, mother, and brother.
(b) Parents and uncle.
(c) Father, mother, and sister.
(d) Parents and grandmother.
5. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(b) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
(c) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(d) Watch the parade.
6. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
(a) Pork and beans.
(c) Pumpkin pie.
(d) Deep-fried chocolate bars.
7. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
(a) Instruction booklet on how to win top spinning matches.
(b) A rabbit's foot for good luck.
(c) A tiki head that symbolizes power and glory.
(d) Silver top that looks like Scut's top.
8. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
(a) Mother's things because she won't be needing them during the drive.
(b) A canoe, including oars and life vests.
(c) Heavy, bulky items including chairs, beach umbrellas, and golf clubs.
(d) Camping equipment, including the portable stove and folded tent.
9. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) Thrift store.
(b) Farmers' market.
(c) Garage sales.
(d) City dump.
10. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(b) He doesn't think they should skip any.
(c) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
(d) He couldn't care less about them.
11. When the narrator starts spinning tops against opponents other than Scut, what does he use?
(a) Broken tops.
(b) Lesser quality tops.
(c) His best top.
(d) Borrowed tops.
12. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
(c) He tells everyone but Flick.
(d) He tells only Flick.
13. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(b) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
(c) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
(d) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
14. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(d) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
15. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
(a) Rain and a power outage.
(b) The resort and several others nearby are completely full.
(c) A bear encounter and a cabin with no door.
(d) The Old Man left his wallet at the gas station, and Mother forgot the bug spray.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
2. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
3. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
4. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
5. What is the name of the school the narrator attends?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)