|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What daredevil act do a couple of skinny blond girls perform at the County Fair?
(a) Exchanging motorcycles in midair.
(b) Jumping through a wall of fire.
(c) High diving into a pool.
(d) Roman riding on horseback.
2. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Magazine article.
3. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Mail order.
(c) Hopnoodle's store.
(d) Pulaski's shop.
4. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He couldn't care less about them.
(b) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(c) He doesn't think they should skip any.
(d) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
5. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
6. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Moonshine making station.
(b) Gun storage shed.
(c) Guest room.
(d) Dog house.
7. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
(a) A dummy top.
(b) An old, chipped top.
(c) His best top.
(d) Schwartz's champion top.
8. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
(a) Instruction booklet on how to win top spinning matches.
(b) Silver top that looks like Scut's top.
(c) A tiki head that symbolizes power and glory.
(d) A rabbit's foot for good luck.
9. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
(a) License plates, tire pumps, and old batteries.
(b) Plastic alligators and chipped gnomes.
(c) Abstract art sculptures and rain barrels.
(d) Fountains, flowers, and chipped pottery.
10. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Help the Old Man.
(b) Stop at a convenience store.
(c) Picnic by the side of the road.
(d) Become lost in nearby woods.
11. When the narrator starts spinning tops against opponents other than Scut, what does he use?
(a) Lesser quality tops.
(b) Borrowed tops.
(c) His best top.
(d) Broken tops.
12. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
(a) Cold and hissing, like a snake.
(b) Bold and thunderous, like a storm.
(c) Stealthy and quiet, like a ninja.
(d) Loud and wailing, like a ghost.
13. The narrator and his family eat practically the same thing every day, except on what occasion?
(c) Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's.
14. What subject does Miss Shields teach?
15. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(b) Iron Man.
(d) Rocket Dude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
2. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
3. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
4. Halfway along the journey to Michigan, what does the narrator realize he forgot to pack?
5. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)