|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) Some of the home crafts.
(b) The dogs and cats show.
(c) The clown acts.
(d) A magic show.
2. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(b) The Old Man and Mother only.
(c) Randy and his brother only.
(d) The Old Man and his two sons.
3. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(b) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(c) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(d) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
4. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(d) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
5. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
(b) Pumpkin pie.
(c) Deep-fried chocolate bars.
(d) Pork and beans.
6. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
7. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) King-size tent.
(b) Deluxe room.
(c) Green cabin.
(d) Larger houseboat.
8. How many Bumpuses move next door to the narrator and his family?
(b) Twelve Bumpuses and three of their friends.
(d) Nobody knows for sure.
9. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
(a) The tiny travel trailer hitched to the car.
(b) Two tiny cubicles inside the vehicle.
(c) Sitting on top of the cooler in the far back.
(d) The front seat with Mother and the Old Man.
10. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(b) Rocket Dude.
(d) Iron Man.
11. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(d) Circus performers.
12. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) Farmers' market.
(b) Thrift store.
(c) City dump.
(d) Garage sales.
13. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(b) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(c) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
14. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
(a) Beside the garage door.
(b) On his nightstand.
(c) On the porch.
(d) In his closet.
15. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
(b) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
2. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
3. According to the book, important industries of Northern Indiana are steel mills and what else?
4. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
5. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)