|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Johnny Cash.
(d) Bing Crosby.
2. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Father, mother, and sister.
(b) Parents and grandmother.
(c) Parents and uncle.
(d) Father, mother, and brother.
3. The Old Man is a lifelong fan of which baseball team?
(a) Chicago White Sox.
(b) New York Mets.
(c) Detroit Tigers.
(d) Cincinnati Reds.
4. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He couldn't care less about them.
(b) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
(c) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(d) He doesn't think they should skip any.
5. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
(a) Instruction booklet on how to win top spinning matches.
(b) Silver top that looks like Scut's top.
(c) A rabbit's foot for good luck.
(d) A tiki head that symbolizes power and glory.
6. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
(b) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
(c) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
(d) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
7. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(b) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(c) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(d) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
8. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
(a) "Top spinning is the easiest thing in the world."
(b) "I can beat anybody, even the best top player here."
(c) "Our school has never produced a top champion."
(d) "There's no good top men around here, anyway."
9. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(b) It's just the right length.
(c) It's a fine piece of machinery.
(d) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
10. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
(a) The Old Man reprimands him while he weeps.
(b) Randy laughs at him until the narrator punches him.
(c) The Old Man stops at a store to buy another one.
(d) Mother tells him to not worry because he'll have fun anyway.
11. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Jack Morton's cabin.
(b) A houseboat.
(c) Ollie Hopnoodle's resort.
(d) A semi-permanent tent.
12. Who is Scut Farkas?
(a) Narrator's cousin.
(b) Narrator's best friend.
13. What subject does Miss Shields teach?
14. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
(a) Junior Kissel.
(b) Grover Dill.
(c) Delbert Bumpus.
(d) Scut Farkas.
15. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
(a) Little specialty shop.
(b) Dark alley.
(c) Small park.
(d) Coffee shop and bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
2. How long does the narrator practice with his fighting top?
3. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
4. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
5. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)