|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
(a) Stubs his toe.
(b) Knocks over a lamp.
(c) Tears the window shade.
(d) Hits his head.
2. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
(a) Cold and hissing, like a snake.
(b) Stealthy and quiet, like a ninja.
(c) Loud and wailing, like a ghost.
(d) Bold and thunderous, like a storm.
3. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Guest room.
(b) Moonshine making station.
(c) Gun storage shed.
(d) Dog house.
4. What does the Old Man do two weeks prior to the family's departure for their annual Michigan vacation?
(a) Checks out library books to read during his vacation.
(b) Maps out the trip route, complete with stops and detours.
(c) Starts telling everybody at work about his upcoming trip.
(d) Has a tuneup performed on their car.
5. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(d) Nine years.
6. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
(b) The fair seems to get better each year.
(c) He ate way too much.
(d) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
7. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(b) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(c) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(d) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
8. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
9. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
(a) The Old Man stops at a store to buy another one.
(b) Mother tells him to not worry because he'll have fun anyway.
(c) The Old Man reprimands him while he weeps.
(d) Randy laughs at him until the narrator punches him.
10. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
(a) Delbert tells a teacher.
(b) The narrator makes fun of Grover's name.
(c) Delbert charges at him.
(d) The narrator laughs loudly.
11. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
(a) Nachos and iced raspberry tea.
(b) Funnel cake and a fruit smoothie.
(c) A pickle and some buttermilk.
(d) A snow cone and three more root beers.
12. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(b) Watch the parade.
(c) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(d) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
13. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) Deluxe room.
(b) King-size tent.
(c) Larger houseboat.
(d) Green cabin.
14. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(b) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(c) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
15. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
(b) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
(c) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
(d) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
Short Answer Questions
1. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
2. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
3. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
4. What is the Mariah?
5. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)