|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
(b) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(c) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
(d) Beat up the loser.
2. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) Flick's backyard.
(b) School gym.
(c) His driveway.
(d) His basement.
3. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Guest room.
(b) Dog house.
(c) Gun storage shed.
(d) Moonshine making station.
4. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The Old Man and his two sons.
(b) Randy and his brother only.
(c) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(d) The Old Man and Mother only.
5. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(d) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
6. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
(a) Cup of coffee.
(b) His lost baseball.
(c) A top.
7. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Parents and uncle.
(b) Parents and grandmother.
(c) Father, mother, and sister.
(d) Father, mother, and brother.
8. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
(b) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(c) Blaring country music is played every night.
(d) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
9. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(b) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
(c) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(d) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
10. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
(a) Top spinning.
(c) Marble throwing.
(d) Four square.
11. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(c) The Old Man.
12. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
13. Who is Scut Farkas?
(c) Narrator's cousin.
(d) Narrator's best friend.
14. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He couldn't care less about them.
(b) He doesn't think they should skip any.
(c) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(d) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
15. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
(b) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(c) Watch the parade.
(d) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
2. What person does the forty-seven pound pumpkin at the County Fair resemble?
3. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
4. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
5. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)