|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does Miss Shields teach?
2. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(b) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
(c) Blaring country music is played every night.
(d) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
3. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(b) Magazine article.
4. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
5. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
(b) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
(c) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
(d) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
6. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(b) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
(c) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(d) A quilt commemorating beer making.
7. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
(b) A top.
(c) Cup of coffee.
(d) His lost baseball.
8. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(b) The Old Man had packed it all along.
(c) The Bumpus family stole it.
(d) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
9. Because of the crowds, how far away from the County Fair does the narrator say his father has to park?
(a) Two towns over.
(b) Six blocks.
(c) About four miles.
(d) In Chicago.
10. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
(b) Beat up the loser.
(c) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(d) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
11. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Hopnoodle's store.
(c) Pulaski's shop.
(d) Mail order.
12. What daredevil act do a couple of skinny blond girls perform at the County Fair?
(a) Roman riding on horseback.
(b) High diving into a pool.
(c) Exchanging motorcycles in midair.
(d) Jumping through a wall of fire.
13. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
(a) Junior Kissel.
(b) Delbert Bumpus.
(c) Scut Farkas.
(d) Grover Dill.
14. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Bing Crosby.
(b) Gene Autry.
(c) Johnny Cash.
(d) Elvis Presley.
15. The Old Man is a lifelong fan of which baseball team?
(a) Chicago White Sox.
(b) New York Mets.
(c) Detroit Tigers.
(d) Cincinnati Reds.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
2. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
3. On Saturday night, right before the family trip to Michigan, what does the Old Man say about their departure?
4. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
5. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)