|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
(a) Write detailed house care instructions for their neighbors.
(b) Go over the route they plan to take and their alternate route.
(c) Go over their list and take account of all their travel supplies.
(d) Unplug and double-check every appliance in their home.
2. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
(b) He couldn't care less about them.
(c) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(d) He doesn't think they should skip any.
3. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) Deluxe room.
(b) Green cabin.
(c) King-size tent.
(d) Larger houseboat.
4. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(b) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(c) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(d) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
5. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(a) Circus performers.
6. What person does the forty-seven pound pumpkin at the County Fair resemble?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
7. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
(a) The narrator makes fun of Grover's name.
(b) Delbert charges at him.
(c) The narrator laughs loudly.
(d) Delbert tells a teacher.
8. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) It's a fine piece of machinery.
(b) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(c) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(d) It's just the right length.
9. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
(a) He reminds his father that he forgot to pack his gear.
(b) He says he'll stay in the cabin reading comic books.
(c) He says he can't wait to go fishing.
(d) He laments out loud that this is the worst trip ever.
10. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Help the Old Man.
(b) Become lost in nearby woods.
(c) Picnic by the side of the road.
(d) Stop at a convenience store.
11. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
(a) Riding the bumper cars.
(b) To the fire-breathing act.
(c) Riding the carousel.
(d) To the dusty dirt track.
12. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
(b) The Bumpus family stole it.
(c) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(d) The Old Man had packed it all along.
13. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(b) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(c) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(d) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
14. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(b) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(c) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(d) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
15. What is the Mariah?
Short Answer Questions
1. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
2. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
3. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
4. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
5. How long does the ham that Mother prepares have to sit in the oven to rest?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)