|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(b) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(c) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(d) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
2. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
(a) Delbert charges at him.
(b) Delbert tells a teacher.
(c) The narrator makes fun of Grover's name.
(d) The narrator laughs loudly.
3. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
4. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(b) It's just the right length.
(c) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(d) It's a fine piece of machinery.
5. Because of the crowds, how far away from the County Fair does the narrator say his father has to park?
(a) About four miles.
(b) Six blocks.
(c) Two towns over.
(d) In Chicago.
6. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
(a) His best top.
(b) An old, chipped top.
(c) Schwartz's champion top.
(d) A dummy top.
7. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) Cranberry sauce.
(b) A maraschino cherry.
(c) Apple slices.
(d) A cup of sherry.
8. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
9. What does the Old Man do trying to get a glimpse of the new family that moves in next door?
(a) Hits his head.
(b) Stubs his toe.
(c) Knocks over a lamp.
(d) Tears the window shade.
10. When Farkas starts walking away from the narrator after their first top spinning contest, what does the narrator do?
(a) Brings out his best top and throws it with an ominous spin.
(b) Spends another two weeks practicing to improve his technique.
(c) Laughs at his opponent, calling him a chicken.
(d) Runs after Farkas and tackles him to the ground.
11. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
(a) A cigarette and coffee.
(b) A plate of bacon and eggs.
(c) The morning paper.
(d) A double espresso.
12. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(b) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
(c) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
(d) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
13. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
(b) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(c) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
(d) Beat up the loser.
14. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) A magic show.
(b) The dogs and cats show.
(c) The clown acts.
(d) Some of the home crafts.
15. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
(a) The radiator in his house.
(b) Bumpus hounds.
(c) Scut Farkas.
(d) His old Pontiac.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Scut Farkas?
2. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
3. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
4. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
5. How long does the ham that Mother prepares have to sit in the oven to rest?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)