|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) Deluxe room.
(b) Larger houseboat.
(c) Green cabin.
(d) King-size tent.
2. What is the Mariah?
3. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) The Bumpus family stole it.
(b) The Old Man had packed it all along.
(c) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
(d) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
4. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
(b) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(c) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
(d) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
5. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(d) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
6. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Whirligig Rocket Whip.
(b) Lightning Strike.
(c) Torpedo Blaster.
(d) Enormo Gordo Run.
7. What is the name of the school the narrator attends?
(a) Chester A. Arthur.
(b) James K. Polk.
(c) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(d) Warren G. Harding.
8. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(b) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(c) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
9. What does the Old Man do two weeks prior to the family's departure for their annual Michigan vacation?
(a) Has a tuneup performed on their car.
(b) Maps out the trip route, complete with stops and detours.
(c) Starts telling everybody at work about his upcoming trip.
(d) Checks out library books to read during his vacation.
10. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Parents and grandmother.
(b) Parents and uncle.
(c) Father, mother, and sister.
(d) Father, mother, and brother.
11. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(d) The Old Man.
12. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
(a) Gathering their collection of fishing tackle and a BB gun.
(b) Packing books, games, art supplies, and cameras.
(c) Fighting while Mother and the Old Man do all the packing.
(d) Reading about Michigan in their travel books.
13. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(a) Circus performers.
14. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
(a) Cream soda.
(b) Peach candy.
(c) Chocolate donut.
(d) Taffy apple.
15. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
(a) A tiki head that symbolizes power and glory.
(b) Silver top that looks like Scut's top.
(c) Instruction booklet on how to win top spinning matches.
(d) A rabbit's foot for good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Scut Farkas?
2. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
3. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
4. When Farkas starts walking away from the narrator after their first top spinning contest, what does the narrator do?
5. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)