|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(d) Circus performers.
2. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(d) Magazine article.
3. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) School gym.
(b) His basement.
(c) His driveway.
(d) Flick's backyard.
4. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
(a) Junior Kissel.
(b) Grover Dill.
(c) Delbert Bumpus.
(d) Scut Farkas.
5. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(b) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(c) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
(d) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
6. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) City dump.
(b) Garage sales.
(c) Farmers' market.
(d) Thrift store.
7. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(b) Rocket Dude.
(c) Iron Man.
8. The Old Man is a lifelong fan of which baseball team?
(a) New York Mets.
(b) Cincinnati Reds.
(c) Chicago White Sox.
(d) Detroit Tigers.
9. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) The dogs and cats show.
(b) Some of the home crafts.
(c) A magic show.
(d) The clown acts.
10. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(c) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(d) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
11. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
(a) Stealthy and quiet, like a ninja.
(b) Loud and wailing, like a ghost.
(c) Cold and hissing, like a snake.
(d) Bold and thunderous, like a storm.
12. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(b) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(c) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(d) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
13. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
(a) Mother tells him to not worry because he'll have fun anyway.
(b) The Old Man reprimands him while he weeps.
(c) The Old Man stops at a store to buy another one.
(d) Randy laughs at him until the narrator punches him.
14. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Torpedo Blaster.
(b) Whirligig Rocket Whip.
(c) Lightning Strike.
(d) Enormo Gordo Run.
15. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(b) The Old Man had packed it all along.
(c) The Bumpus family stole it.
(d) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
2. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
3. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
5. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)