|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He couldn't care less about them.
(b) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(c) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
(d) He doesn't think they should skip any.
2. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Mail order.
(b) Pulaski's shop.
(d) Hopnoodle's store.
3. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
(a) Heavy, bulky items including chairs, beach umbrellas, and golf clubs.
(b) Camping equipment, including the portable stove and folded tent.
(c) Mother's things because she won't be needing them during the drive.
(d) A canoe, including oars and life vests.
4. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
(a) He reminds his father that he forgot to pack his gear.
(b) He laments out loud that this is the worst trip ever.
(c) He says he can't wait to go fishing.
(d) He says he'll stay in the cabin reading comic books.
5. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
(b) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
(c) The fair seems to get better each year.
(d) He ate way too much.
6. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Special edition top.
(b) Sparking top.
(c) Fighting top.
(d) Red top.
7. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(b) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(c) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
(d) Watch the parade.
8. Which of the following do Randy and his brother NOT eat at the County Fair?
(b) Pork and beans.
(c) Deep-fried chocolate bars.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
9. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(b) Magazine article.
10. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) His basement.
(b) Flick's backyard.
(c) School gym.
(d) His driveway.
11. According to the book, important industries of Northern Indiana are steel mills and what else?
(a) Oil refineries.
(b) Car manufacturers.
(c) Candy factories.
12. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
(a) A disruptive one who misses a lot of school.
(b) One whom others envy.
(c) A promising one who needs bigger challenges.
(d) One who excels in music.
13. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Bing Crosby.
(b) Gene Autry.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Johnny Cash.
14. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
15. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Become lost in nearby woods.
(b) Stop at a convenience store.
(c) Help the Old Man.
(d) Picnic by the side of the road.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
2. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
3. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
4. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
5. Which of the following are NOT found in the Bumpus' yard?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)