|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
(b) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(c) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(d) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
2. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
(b) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
(c) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
(d) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
3. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
(b) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(c) The Bumpus family stole it.
(d) The Old Man had packed it all along.
4. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(c) Rocket Dude.
(d) Iron Man.
5. How long does the ham that Mother prepares have to sit in the oven to rest?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) Three hours.
6. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
7. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
8. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
(a) Delbert Bumpus.
(b) Junior Kissel.
(c) Scut Farkas.
(d) Grover Dill.
9. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Guest room.
(b) Moonshine making station.
(c) Dog house.
(d) Gun storage shed.
10. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
(a) A canoe, including oars and life vests.
(b) Camping equipment, including the portable stove and folded tent.
(c) Heavy, bulky items including chairs, beach umbrellas, and golf clubs.
(d) Mother's things because she won't be needing them during the drive.
11. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Red top.
(b) Special edition top.
(c) Sparking top.
(d) Fighting top.
12. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Mail order.
(c) Hopnoodle's store.
(d) Pulaski's shop.
13. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) A semi-permanent tent.
(b) Ollie Hopnoodle's resort.
(c) A houseboat.
(d) Jack Morton's cabin.
14. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
(a) Gathering their collection of fishing tackle and a BB gun.
(b) Reading about Michigan in their travel books.
(c) Packing books, games, art supplies, and cameras.
(d) Fighting while Mother and the Old Man do all the packing.
15. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
(b) July 4th.
(d) His birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
2. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
3. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
4. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
5. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)