|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(c) The Old Man.
2. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
(a) That it doesn't start raining.
(b) That for once, someone is able to beat Farkas.
(c) That the teacher doesn't catch them.
(d) That Farkas doesn't turn on them.
3. Who is Scut Farkas?
(b) Narrator's best friend.
(c) Narrator's cousin.
4. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Ollie Hopnoodle's resort.
(b) A semi-permanent tent.
(c) Jack Morton's cabin.
(d) A houseboat.
5. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) Apple slices.
(b) Cranberry sauce.
(c) A cup of sherry.
(d) A maraschino cherry.
6. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
(a) He tells everyone but Flick.
(d) He tells only Flick.
7. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(a) Iron Man.
(d) Rocket Dude.
8. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
(b) His experience is identical to the movie.
(c) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
(d) His experience is completely different from the movie.
9. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
(a) Joe Firebender.
(b) Duke Grunion.
(c) Walt Whedbe.
(d) Anthony Dombruni.
10. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Father, mother, and brother.
(b) Father, mother, and sister.
(c) Parents and grandmother.
(d) Parents and uncle.
11. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(d) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
12. The narrator and his family eat practically the same thing every day, except on what occasion?
(a) New Year's.
(c) Fourth of July.
13. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(d) Magazine article.
14. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Special edition top.
(b) Red top.
(c) Sparking top.
(d) Fighting top.
15. What person does the forty-seven pound pumpkin at the County Fair resemble?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
2. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
3. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
4. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
5. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)