|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
(b) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(c) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(d) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
2. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
(a) It gets toilet papered.
(b) It ages overnight.
(c) Two new rooms are added in the back.
(d) It's painted purple.
3. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
(a) Beat up the loser.
(b) Intimidate the other kids all the way through high school.
(c) Change life at Warren G. Harding School.
(d) Demand lunch money from the kids gathered there.
4. Who is Scut Farkas?
(a) Narrator's best friend.
(b) Narrator's cousin.
5. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Johnny Cash.
(d) Bing Crosby.
6. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
(a) A tiki head that symbolizes power and glory.
(b) A rabbit's foot for good luck.
(c) Instruction booklet on how to win top spinning matches.
(d) Silver top that looks like Scut's top.
7. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
(a) Spiced cider.
(b) Banana milkshake.
(c) Shirley Temple.
(d) Orange Nehi.
8. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) He ate way too much.
(b) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
(c) The fair seems to get better each year.
(d) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
9. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) Green cabin.
(b) Larger houseboat.
(c) Deluxe room.
(d) King-size tent.
10. Where does the narrator's family stay during their vacations in Clear Lake, Michigan?
(a) Jack Morton's cabin.
(b) A houseboat.
(c) Ollie Hopnoodle's resort.
(d) A semi-permanent tent.
11. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
12. When the narrator starts spinning tops against Farkas, what does he use first?
(a) A dummy top.
(b) An old, chipped top.
(c) His best top.
(d) Schwartz's champion top.
13. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The Old Man and Mother only.
(b) The Old Man and his two sons.
(c) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(d) Randy and his brother only.
14. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
(a) Duke Grunion.
(b) Walt Whedbe.
(c) Anthony Dombruni.
(d) Joe Firebender.
15. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A two-headed llama.
(b) A grand champion pig.
(c) A dime-size frog.
(d) A four-foot tall chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
2. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
3. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
4. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
5. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)