|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a crowd of kids gathers around the narrator and Farkas as they battle it out with their fancy spinning tops, what is the collective wish?
(a) That for once, someone is able to beat Farkas.
(b) That the teacher doesn't catch them.
(c) That Farkas doesn't turn on them.
(d) That it doesn't start raining.
2. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
(b) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
(c) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(d) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
3. How many Bumpuses move next door to the narrator and his family?
(a) Nobody knows for sure.
(c) Twelve Bumpuses and three of their friends.
4. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
(a) A top believed to have belonged to a former President.
(b) A skateboard donated by a famous sports star.
(c) A yo-yo used by the 1964 yo-yo world champion.
(d) A softball signed by his favorite ballplayer.
5. Halfway along the journey to Michigan, what does the narrator realize he forgot to pack?
(a) Comic book collection.
(c) Alarm clock.
(d) Fishing gear.
6. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
(a) A pickle and some buttermilk.
(b) Funnel cake and a fruit smoothie.
(c) A snow cone and three more root beers.
(d) Nachos and iced raspberry tea.
7. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
(a) Go over their list and take account of all their travel supplies.
(b) Unplug and double-check every appliance in their home.
(c) Write detailed house care instructions for their neighbors.
(d) Go over the route they plan to take and their alternate route.
8. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(b) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
(c) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(d) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
9. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
10. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
(a) Cup of coffee.
(b) His lost baseball.
(d) A top.
11. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
(b) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(c) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(d) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
12. What does the narrator say to get Scut Farkas to challenge him at top spinning?
(a) "Our school has never produced a top champion."
(b) "Top spinning is the easiest thing in the world."
(c) "I can beat anybody, even the best top player here."
(d) "There's no good top men around here, anyway."
13. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The Old Man and his two sons.
(b) Randy and his brother only.
(c) The Old Man and Mother only.
(d) The four members of the Shepherd family.
14. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Watch the parade.
(b) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(c) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
(d) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
15. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
(a) Reads a book written by a master top spinner.
(b) Spies on Farkas to see how he does it.
(c) Sets up a practice schedule to hone his skills.
(d) Gets Flick to teach him new techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
2. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
3. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
4. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
5. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)