|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
(b) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
(c) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(d) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
2. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(b) It's just the right length.
(c) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(d) It's a fine piece of machinery.
3. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A grand champion pig.
(b) A two-headed llama.
(c) A four-foot tall chicken.
(d) A dime-size frog.
4. What type of student is Delbert Bumpus?
(a) A promising one who needs bigger challenges.
(b) A disruptive one who misses a lot of school.
(c) One whom others envy.
(d) One who excels in music.
5. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(b) The Old Man had packed it all along.
(c) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
(d) The Bumpus family stole it.
6. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) His basement.
(b) School gym.
(c) Flick's backyard.
(d) His driveway.
7. How long does the Shepherd-Bumpus feud last?
(a) Until the Bumpus family moves away.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Until the narrator goes off to college.
(d) Three weeks.
8. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
(a) The radiator in his house.
(b) Bumpus hounds.
(c) Scut Farkas.
(d) His old Pontiac.
9. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(d) Magazine article.
10. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
(a) It ages overnight.
(b) It gets toilet papered.
(c) It's painted purple.
(d) Two new rooms are added in the back.
11. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Stop at a convenience store.
(b) Become lost in nearby woods.
(c) Help the Old Man.
(d) Picnic by the side of the road.
12. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Parents and grandmother.
(b) Father, mother, and brother.
(c) Father, mother, and sister.
(d) Parents and uncle.
13. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
(a) July 4th.
(d) His birthday.
14. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
(a) Peach candy.
(b) Taffy apple.
(c) Cream soda.
(d) Chocolate donut.
15. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(b) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(c) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(d) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
2. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
3. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
4. On Saturday night, right before the family trip to Michigan, what does the Old Man say about their departure?
5. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)