|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A dime-size frog.
(b) A grand champion pig.
(c) A two-headed llama.
(d) A four-foot tall chicken.
2. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
(a) Reading about Michigan in their travel books.
(b) Gathering their collection of fishing tackle and a BB gun.
(c) Packing books, games, art supplies, and cameras.
(d) Fighting while Mother and the Old Man do all the packing.
3. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(b) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(c) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
(d) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
4. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(b) The Old Man and Mother only.
(c) The Old Man and his two sons.
(d) Randy and his brother only.
5. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
(a) A cigarette and coffee.
(b) The morning paper.
(c) A plate of bacon and eggs.
(d) A double espresso.
6. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(b) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
(c) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(d) Watch the parade.
7. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Stop at a convenience store.
(b) Become lost in nearby woods.
(c) Help the Old Man.
(d) Picnic by the side of the road.
8. Who is Scut Farkas?
(a) Narrator's cousin.
(b) Narrator's best friend.
9. The Old Man is a lifelong fan of which baseball team?
(a) New York Mets.
(b) Detroit Tigers.
(c) Cincinnati Reds.
(d) Chicago White Sox.
10. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(b) It's a fine piece of machinery.
(c) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(d) It's just the right length.
11. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Johnny Cash.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Bing Crosby.
(d) Gene Autry.
12. Wanting to beat Scut Farkas at his game, what does the narrator do?
(a) Spies on Farkas to see how he does it.
(b) Sets up a practice schedule to hone his skills.
(c) Gets Flick to teach him new techniques.
(d) Reads a book written by a master top spinner.
13. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(b) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(c) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
14. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) The clown acts.
(b) A magic show.
(c) The dogs and cats show.
(d) Some of the home crafts.
15. Soon after consuming three taffy apples, four hot dogs, and two root beers at the County Fair, what else does Randy ingest?
(a) A pickle and some buttermilk.
(b) Funnel cake and a fruit smoothie.
(c) A snow cone and three more root beers.
(d) Nachos and iced raspberry tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
2. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
3. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
4. What subject does Miss Shields teach?
5. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)