|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when, during the family's road trip, the Old Man refuses the opportunity to purchase gas at the last station?
(a) Mother yells at him until he does a u-turn and gets gas.
(b) They run out of gas at the resort entrance and have to push the car in.
(c) They run out of gas and he has to hike back for some.
(d) They run out of gas, the radiatior overheats, and a tire goes flat, all at the same time.
2. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Lightning Strike.
(b) Whirligig Rocket Whip.
(c) Enormo Gordo Run.
(d) Torpedo Blaster.
3. On Saturday night, right before the family trip to Michigan, what does the Old Man say about their departure?
(a) Everything that 's going with them must be left by the door.
(b) They need to sleep in their clothes so they can leave early.
(c) They'll leave at four-thirty in the morning.
(d) They'll leave by six in the morning.
4. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(b) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
(c) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
(d) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
5. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Fighting top.
(b) Special edition top.
(c) Red top.
(d) Sparking top.
6. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) He ate way too much.
(b) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
(c) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
(d) The fair seems to get better each year.
7. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(b) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
(c) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(d) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
8. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
(a) A plate of bacon and eggs.
(b) A double espresso.
(c) A cigarette and coffee.
(d) The morning paper.
9. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
(a) The resort and several others nearby are completely full.
(b) A bear encounter and a cabin with no door.
(c) The Old Man left his wallet at the gas station, and Mother forgot the bug spray.
(d) Rain and a power outage.
10. Who is spying on the narrator when he starts to spin tops against opponents?
(a) Scut Farkas.
(b) Junior Kissel.
(c) Delbert Bumpus.
(d) Grover Dill.
11. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
(a) Mother's things because she won't be needing them during the drive.
(b) Heavy, bulky items including chairs, beach umbrellas, and golf clubs.
(c) Camping equipment, including the portable stove and folded tent.
(d) A canoe, including oars and life vests.
12. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) His experience is identical to the movie.
(b) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
(c) His experience is completely different from the movie.
(d) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
13. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
(a) Coffee shop and bakery.
(b) Dark alley.
(c) Little specialty shop.
(d) Small park.
14. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) A maraschino cherry.
(b) Apple slices.
(c) A cup of sherry.
(d) Cranberry sauce.
15. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
(c) Magazine article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
2. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
3. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
4. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
5. What is the name of the school the narrator attends?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)