|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when, during the family's road trip, the Old Man refuses the opportunity to purchase gas at the last station?
(a) Mother yells at him until he does a u-turn and gets gas.
(b) They run out of gas and he has to hike back for some.
(c) They run out of gas at the resort entrance and have to push the car in.
(d) They run out of gas, the radiatior overheats, and a tire goes flat, all at the same time.
2. How do the boys prepare for their Michigan vacation?
(a) Gathering their collection of fishing tackle and a BB gun.
(b) Reading about Michigan in their travel books.
(c) Packing books, games, art supplies, and cameras.
(d) Fighting while Mother and the Old Man do all the packing.
3. According to the book, important industries of Northern Indiana are steel mills and what else?
(a) Car manufacturers.
(b) Candy factories.
(c) Oil refineries.
4. Who successfully rings the bell at the County Fair strong man exhibit?
(a) The Old Man.
5. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
(a) A top.
(b) Cup of coffee.
(d) His lost baseball.
6. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
(a) The tiny travel trailer hitched to the car.
(b) Two tiny cubicles inside the vehicle.
(c) Sitting on top of the cooler in the far back.
(d) The front seat with Mother and the Old Man.
7. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
8. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) Some of the home crafts.
(b) A magic show.
(c) The clown acts.
(d) The dogs and cats show.
9. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
(a) The teacher suspends him for a day.
(b) He becomes angry and punches three kids.
(c) He's knocked flat on the ground and loses a shoe.
(d) He runs away in tears.
10. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
(a) Bumpus hounds.
(b) Scut Farkas.
(c) The radiator in his house.
(d) His old Pontiac.
11. Where does the narrator begin training for his matches against Scut Farkas?
(a) His basement.
(b) School gym.
(c) Flick's backyard.
(d) His driveway.
12. What do the Old Man and Mother do well into the night in preparation for their Michigan trip?
(a) Unplug and double-check every appliance in their home.
(b) Go over the route they plan to take and their alternate route.
(c) Go over their list and take account of all their travel supplies.
(d) Write detailed house care instructions for their neighbors.
13. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Red top.
(b) Special edition top.
(c) Fighting top.
(d) Sparking top.
14. How does the Old Man feel about the farming exhibits at the County Fair?
(a) He couldn't care less about them.
(b) He doesn't think they should skip any.
(c) He thinks his sons should see the exhibits.
(d) He really enjoys the dairy and corn exhibits.
15. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A four-foot tall chicken.
(b) A dime-size frog.
(c) A two-headed llama.
(d) A grand champion pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
2. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
3. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
4. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
5. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)