|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(b) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(c) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
2. The narrator says that his family's annual trip to Michigan is bigger than what to him?
(b) July 4th.
(c) His birthday.
3. Does the narrator tell his friends about his training and his intentions to beat Scut Farkas?
(b) He tells only Flick.
(d) He tells everyone but Flick.
4. What is the little wooden house with the moon on the door found in the Bumpus' yard?
(a) Moonshine making station.
(b) Gun storage shed.
(c) Dog house.
(d) Guest room.
5. What is the Old Man's absolute favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Enormo Gordo Run.
(b) Torpedo Blaster.
(c) Lightning Strike.
(d) Whirligig Rocket Whip.
6. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
7. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(b) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
(c) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
(d) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
8. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
(c) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(d) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
9. What does the narrator say is one of the most popular playground games at his school?
(b) Marble throwing.
(c) Top spinning.
(d) Four square.
10. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
(a) His lost baseball.
(b) Cup of coffee.
(c) A top.
11. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) Farmers' market.
(b) Garage sales.
(c) City dump.
(d) Thrift store.
12. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
(a) Delbert charges at him.
(b) Delbert tells a teacher.
(c) The narrator makes fun of Grover's name.
(d) The narrator laughs loudly.
13. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
(a) He runs away in tears.
(b) He's knocked flat on the ground and loses a shoe.
(c) The teacher suspends him for a day.
(d) He becomes angry and punches three kids.
14. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(b) Rocket Dude.
(d) Iron Man.
15. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(b) Hopnoodle's store.
(c) Mail order.
(d) Pulaski's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
2. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
3. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
4. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
5. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)