|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator tells his father that he forgot to pack something important for the Michigan trip, what happens?
(a) The Old Man reprimands him while he weeps.
(b) The Old Man stops at a store to buy another one.
(c) Mother tells him to not worry because he'll have fun anyway.
(d) Randy laughs at him until the narrator punches him.
2. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) A cup of sherry.
(b) A maraschino cherry.
(c) Cranberry sauce.
(d) Apple slices.
3. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(a) Iron Man.
(c) Rocket Dude.
4. What does the Old Man say every year when he and his family leave the County Fair?
(a) He teases the boys about walking home from the fair.
(b) He ate way too much.
(c) The fair seems to get better each year.
(d) The fair has taken every dollar he had.
5. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(b) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(c) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
6. At their Michigan destination, what does the narrator say when the Old Man starts talking about going fishing?
(a) He laments out loud that this is the worst trip ever.
(b) He says he can't wait to go fishing.
(c) He says he'll stay in the cabin reading comic books.
(d) He reminds his father that he forgot to pack his gear.
7. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
(a) Parents and uncle.
(b) Parents and grandmother.
(c) Father, mother, and sister.
(d) Father, mother, and brother.
8. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) It's a fine piece of machinery.
(b) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(c) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(d) It's just the right length.
9. During the family's road trip to Michigan, why does Mother suddenly insist that the Old Man stop the car?
(a) She knows Randy is about to throw up.
(b) She needs to check on the narrator, who looks overheated and dehydrated.
(c) They haven't had a bathroom stop in six hours.
(d) The contents of the car have shifted and she's getting squished by supplies.
10. The Old Man is loyal to the Oldsmobile, but he deviates from his dedication to drive what automobile brand?
11. When a new family moves into the house next door to the narrator, what singer's record do they play in the middle of the night?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) Bing Crosby.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Johnny Cash.
12. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(c) Circus performers.
13. Halfway along the journey to Michigan, what does the narrator realize he forgot to pack?
(a) Fishing gear.
(b) Comic book collection.
(c) Alarm clock.
14. The narrator and his family eat practically the same thing every day, except on what occasion?
(b) Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's.
15. At what point does the narrator realize they are halfway to their Michigan destination?
(a) After he almost faints from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
(b) When the contents of the car have shifted so much he can no longer move.
(c) After they've been driving for six hours without stopping.
(d) When Randy throws up, because he does this every year at the halfway mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
2. The narrator realizes he has found his weapon when the black-shawled lady pulls what out of a box?
3. Who is Scut Farkas?
4. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
5. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)