Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
(a) Riding the bumper cars.
(b) To the dusty dirt track.
(c) Riding the carousel.
(d) To the fire-breathing act.
2. What do Mother and the boys do while the Old Man changes a flat tire on their way to Michigan?
(a) Become lost in nearby woods.
(b) Picnic by the side of the road.
(c) Help the Old Man.
(d) Stop at a convenience store.
3. The night before the County Fair, the Old Man says he doesn't care if Mother checks out the quilts and raspberry jams so long as he and the narrator can do what?
(a) Ride the "Lightning Strike" roller coaster.
(b) Eat hot dogs, cotton candy, and funnel cakes.
(c) Watch the parade.
(d) Watch the first heat of the dirt track races.
4. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(b) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(c) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
5. What name does the narrator give his "weapon"?
6. How does the final spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator conclude?
(a) The narrator wins and throws Farkas' top down the sewer.
(b) Both tops leave the circle together and disappear down the sewer.
(c) Farkas wins and throws the narrator's top over the school fence into the street.
(d) The narrator's kid brother comes from nowhere and steals both tops.
7. The Taylors, who lived next door to the narrator and his family for many years before the Bumpus family moved in, were what?
(c) Circus performers.
8. What is the Old Man's greatest nemesis?
(a) The radiator in his house.
(b) His old Pontiac.
(c) Scut Farkas.
(d) Bumpus hounds.
9. Who goes on the Old Man's favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) The Old Man and Mother only.
(b) Randy and his brother only.
(c) The four members of the Shepherd family.
(d) The Old Man and his two sons.
10. Who is Scut Farkas?
(b) Narrator's best friend.
(d) Narrator's cousin.
11. At the fair, who wins the dirt races by half a car length?
(a) Iron Man.
(c) Rocket Dude.
12. What person does the forty-seven pound pumpkin at the County Fair resemble?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
13. When Mother prepares the ham, she tops it with what?
(a) A cup of sherry.
(b) A maraschino cherry.
(c) Apple slices.
(d) Cranberry sauce.
14. What kind of top is the narrator looking for?
(a) Special edition top.
(b) Sparking top.
(c) Fighting top.
(d) Red top.
15. What happens when Grover Dill insults Delbert Bumpus' name?
(a) The narrator laughs loudly.
(b) Delbert charges at him.
(c) Delbert tells a teacher.
(d) The narrator makes fun of Grover's name.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator notes that the only way to get his father going in the morning is with what?
2. For the family's Michigan trip, what does the Old Man pack into the Sears luggage rack on the car roof?
3. After being greeted by a woman wearing a black shawl, what does the narrator ask for?
4. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
5. The narrator lives in Northern Indiana with whom?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)