|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Farkas starts walking away from the narrator after their first top spinning contest, what does the narrator do?
(a) Spends another two weeks practicing to improve his technique.
(b) Laughs at his opponent, calling him a chicken.
(c) Brings out his best top and throws it with an ominous spin.
(d) Runs after Farkas and tackles him to the ground.
2. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) The dogs and cats show.
(b) A magic show.
(c) Some of the home crafts.
(d) The clown acts.
3. When Randy starts to whine the night before the County Fair, what does Mother promise him?
(a) Cream soda.
(b) Taffy apple.
(c) Peach candy.
(d) Chocolate donut.
4. On the family road trip, where do the narrator and his brother fit in a car that is so full of supplies?
(a) Two tiny cubicles inside the vehicle.
(b) Sitting on top of the cooler in the far back.
(c) The front seat with Mother and the Old Man.
(d) The tiny travel trailer hitched to the car.
5. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(b) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
(c) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
(d) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
6. What does Farkas mean when he challenges the narrator to play for keeps?
(a) Both tops are released into a circle, and the first one to leave the circle loses.
(b) Whoever loses the next round is never allowed to spin tops on the playground again.
(c) Winner keeps the tops; the loser keeps away from the playground.
(d) Whoever wins gets to take and keep the opponent's top.
7. As the family drives to the lake, what happens when a chicken truck passes them?
(a) The contents of their roof rack fall.
(b) It breaks down in front of them and they are stuck for hours.
(c) Randy has a sneezing fit because of his allergy to feathers.
(d) They have to put up with feathers and a foul smell for miles.
8. Where does the Bumpus family like to go shopping?
(a) Farmers' market.
(b) Garage sales.
(c) City dump.
(d) Thrift store.
9. Among the animals at the fair, the Shepherds see what?
(a) A grand champion pig.
(b) A dime-size frog.
(c) A two-headed llama.
(d) A four-foot tall chicken.
10. What is the Mariah?
11. At the end of Story Four, what does the reader learn about the narrator's fishing gear?
(a) It mysteriously turns up next to the sleeping bags.
(b) The narrator left his gear behind on purpose.
(c) The Bumpus family stole it.
(d) The Old Man had packed it all along.
12. What happens to Grover after his confrontation with Delbert in Story One?
(a) He runs away in tears.
(b) He's knocked flat on the ground and loses a shoe.
(c) The teacher suspends him for a day.
(d) He becomes angry and punches three kids.
13. Once the family arrives at the County Fair, the narrator accompanies his father where?
(a) Riding the carousel.
(b) To the fire-breathing act.
(c) To the dusty dirt track.
(d) Riding the bumper cars.
14. What subject does Miss Shields teach?
15. What marks the start of the Shepherd-Bumpus feud?
(a) The ham is taken by the hounds.
(b) The Old Man calls the Bumpus family country hicks.
(c) Blaring country music is played every night.
(d) Mr. Bumpus rams his truck into the Old Man's porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
2. When the narrator visits a museum as an adult, what special item does he find?
3. When the narrator starts spinning tops against opponents other than Scut, what does he use?
4. Who is Scut Farkas?
5. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)