|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Old Man admire about his favorite ride at the County Fair?
(a) Very few dare to get on such a wild ride.
(b) It makes him feel like a teenager again.
(c) It's just the right length.
(d) It's a fine piece of machinery.
2. What happens during the Old Man's favorite ride at the fair?
(a) The Old Man loses his glasses, which fall and shatter.
(b) The narrator cries and screams the entire ride.
(c) The ride breaks down and they're stuck upside down for forty minutes.
(d) Randy throws up all over his brother and father.
3. What does the narrator find, after almost not seeing it, tucked between two looming buildings?
(a) Little specialty shop.
(b) Coffee shop and bakery.
(c) Dark alley.
(d) Small park.
4. For how many years does the Shepherd family take its annual pilgrimage to Clear Lake?
5. Once the Shepherds get to the County Fair, Randy accompanies his mother to see what?
(a) The clown acts.
(b) A magic show.
(c) The dogs and cats show.
(d) Some of the home crafts.
6. What does the Old Man find touching when he's looking at the County Fair quilts with his family?
(a) Seeing Luke Appling on a quilt.
(b) A quilt commemorating ice hockey.
(c) A quilt commemorating beer making.
(d) Seeing a 92-year-old lady making quilt squares.
7. How does the narrator's childhood experience at the County Fair compare to a movie he watches when he's an adult that portrays a State Fair set in Indiana?
(a) His experience is completely different from the movie.
(b) His experience is identical to the movie.
(c) The food's exactly the same, but he remembers wilder rides.
(d) The County Fair wasn't as exciting as the State Fair in the movie.
8. What happens to the house next door to the narrator after the Bumpus family moves in?
(a) It gets toilet papered.
(b) It ages overnight.
(c) Two new rooms are added in the back.
(d) It's painted purple.
9. Where do most kids get their tops from?
(a) Hopnoodle's store.
(b) Pulaski's shop.
(d) Mail order.
10. A week before taking his family to Michigan for their vacation, the Old Man makes a phone call to request what?
(a) Deluxe room.
(b) King-size tent.
(c) Larger houseboat.
(d) Green cabin.
11. When the Old Man gets himself a beer at the fair, what does he get for his older son?
(a) Orange Nehi.
(b) Shirley Temple.
(c) Banana milkshake.
(d) Spiced cider.
12. How does the narrator describe the sound that his spinning top makes?
(a) Loud and wailing, like a ghost.
(b) Cold and hissing, like a snake.
(c) Stealthy and quiet, like a ninja.
(d) Bold and thunderous, like a storm.
13. When the narrator realizes he forgot to pack something for the Michigan trip, where does he remember leaving it?
(a) In his closet.
(b) On his nightstand.
(c) Beside the garage door.
(d) On the porch.
14. What is the name of the Indiana town where most of the stories in the book supposedly take place?
15. When the family finally arrives at their summer trip destination, what obstacles do they immediately encounter?
(a) A bear encounter and a cabin with no door.
(b) The Old Man left his wallet at the gas station, and Mother forgot the bug spray.
(c) The resort and several others nearby are completely full.
(d) Rain and a power outage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Story One, what sport does Delbert disrupt in gym class?
2. At the start of Story Four, what reminds the narrator of his annual family vacations to Clear Lake, Michigan?
3. The winner of the spinning top battle between Farkas and the narrator could very well do what?
4. Who is Iron Man Gabruzzi's arch-rival?
5. What are some of the items that adorn the Bumpus' yard?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)