Story One, The Grandstand Passion Play of Delbert and the Bumpus Hounds
• The narrator, whose last name is Shepherd but whose first name is not mentioned, paints a humorous portrait of growing up in a small Indiana town in the forties.
• His town, Hohman, is known for its steel mills and oil refineries, two of the largest employers in the region.
• The narrator lives in a modest, lower middle class home with his little brother Randy and his parents, referred to as Mother and the Old Man.
• Their lives become more interesting and challenging when the Bumpus family moves next door, complete with a collection of animals including countless hounds that torment the Old Man.
• The Bumpus family moves into their new home in the middle of the night and starts playing their Gene Autry record.
• The Old Man rushes to his bedroom window to see what all...
This section contains 2,275 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)