|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
(a) He now longs to find a wife.
(b) He can't bear to go back to the front.
(c) He has become and elegant, well-groomed man.
(d) He no longer cares for civilian life.
2. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The Germans set fire to it.
(b) By an artillery shell.
(c) The retreating French blow it up.
(d) It collapses without warning.
3. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(b) He gathers firewood for her.
(c) He shares his food with her.
(d) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
4. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To clear an area of mines.
(b) To locate new supplies.
(c) To find a German listening post.
(d) To clear out an international trench.
5. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) Stretched out like a cross.
(b) Grotesquely bloated.
(c) Partially severed at the waist.
(d) In several pieces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
2. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
3. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
4. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
5. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)