|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To talk with him.
(b) For guard duty.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To help bury bodies.
2. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) An abattoir.
(c) A charnel house.
(d) A devil's feast.
3. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
(b) A stray cat.
4. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A writhing mess.
(b) A pool of misery.
(c) A poorly butchered animal.
(d) A screaming tree.
5. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They brag of their exploits.
(b) They have better wages.
(c) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(d) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pépin die?
2. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
3. What does the German demand of God?
4. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
5. How is the refuge destroyed?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)