|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) In several pieces.
(b) Stretched out like a cross.
(c) Partially severed at the waist.
(d) Grotesquely bloated.
2. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They embellish its hardships.
(b) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(c) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(d) They describe the situation honestly.
3. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
(a) The old woman's daughter returns.
(b) The sun rises.
(c) The regiment's curfew begins.
(d) Muster is called.
4. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(d) Red Cross sergeant.
5. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
(a) An aviator.
(b) A sapper.
(c) An officer.
(d) A sniper.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
2. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
3. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
4. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
5. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)