|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
(a) It is deep.
(b) It is clean.
(c) It is German.
(d) It is unfinished.
2. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(b) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
(c) A trench built in no-man's land.
(d) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
3. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
(a) To make them seem like better people.
(b) To gloss over the ugliness of war.
(c) To avoid censorship.
(d) To make the book more sophisticated.
4. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(b) He shares his food with her.
(c) He gathers firewood for her.
(d) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
5. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They will all become civilians again later.
(b) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(c) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(d) They may all be dead in eight days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
2. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
3. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
4. What do the men note about the commandant?
5. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)