|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pépin die?
(a) To an artillery shell.
(b) To a sniper.
(c) To friendly fire.
(d) To trench-foot.
2. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(b) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(c) They don't want to be hungover.
(d) They need to be alert.
3. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
4. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(b) Photographs of family and friends.
(c) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
5. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
(a) The first watch.
(b) Sleeping space.
(c) Place in the food line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
2. What do the men note about the commandant?
3. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
4. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
5. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)