|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cocon, how many villages has the squad quartered in?
(d) 47 villages.
2. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To help bury bodies.
(b) To search for a body.
(c) For guard duty.
(d) To talk with him.
3. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) A devil's feast.
(c) An abattoir.
(d) A charnel house.
4. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) They don't want to be hungover.
(b) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(c) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(d) They need to be alert.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
(a) He has been digging trenches all day.
(b) He is carrying a machine-gun.
(c) He has not eaten all day.
(d) He has been serving as a liaison.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
2. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
3. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
5. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)