|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) In several pieces.
(b) Grotesquely bloated.
(c) Stretched out like a cross.
(d) Partially severed at the waist.
2. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
(b) A stray cat.
3. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench built in no-man's land.
(b) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(c) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
(d) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
4. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
(a) The theater.
5. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(b) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(c) They describe the situation honestly.
(d) They embellish its hardships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
2. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
3. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
4. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
5. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)