|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) By an artillery shell.
(b) The retreating French blow it up.
(c) The Germans set fire to it.
(d) It collapses without warning.
2. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) An abattoir.
(b) A charnel house.
(d) A devil's feast.
3. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "crutches."
(b) Their "burdens."
(c) Their "souvenirs."
(d) Their "treasures."
4. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He flies into a rage.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He immediately breaks down in shock.
5. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(b) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(d) Photographs of family and friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
2. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
3. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
4. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
5. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)