|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "crutches."
(b) Their "souvenirs."
(c) Their "treasures."
(d) Their "burdens."
2. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By seeking promotions.
(b) By being friends with the quartermaster.
(c) By stealing.
(d) By bartering with other squads.
3. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
(a) To make them seem like better people.
(b) To avoid censorship.
(c) To gloss over the ugliness of war.
(d) To make the book more sophisticated.
4. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
(a) He fervently believes in them.
(b) He once kidded about believing in them.
(c) He despises them.
(d) He doubts them, but always sees them come true.
5. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
(a) They die of poisoning.
(b) They fight over corpses and kill each other.
(c) They are shot by the soldiers.
(d) They are caught and eaten by hungry soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
2. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
4. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
5. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)