|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
(a) He makes strange marks on the trench's walls with chalk.
(b) He takes a single bullet from each man's supplies.
(c) He reads a meaningless passage from Leviticus to the men.
(d) He attaches knives to certain soldier's greatcoats.
2. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
(a) To make the book more sophisticated.
(b) To avoid censorship.
(c) To gloss over the ugliness of war.
(d) To make them seem like better people.
3. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Special artillery shells.
(c) Forward trenches.
(d) Groups of spies.
4. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(a) His helmet.
(d) A rifle.
5. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
(c) A stray cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
2. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
3. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
4. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
5. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)