|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
(b) They brag of their exploits.
(c) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(d) They have better wages.
2. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
(a) He despises them.
(b) He fervently believes in them.
(c) He doubts them, but always sees them come true.
(d) He once kidded about believing in them.
3. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) An abattoir.
(c) A charnel house.
(d) A devil's feast.
4. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) German spies.
(c) An illegal wine cellar.
(d) An old graveyard.
5. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The retreating French blow it up.
(b) The Germans set fire to it.
(c) It collapses without warning.
(d) By an artillery shell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
2. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
4. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
5. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)