|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(b) They embellish its hardships.
(c) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(d) They describe the situation honestly.
2. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By bartering with other squads.
(b) By being friends with the quartermaster.
(c) By stealing.
(d) By seeking promotions.
3. During the offensive, when does the squad come under fire?
(a) When they enter the international trench.
(b) When they cross the barbed-wire.
(c) The instant they leave their trench.
(d) As soon as they descend the slope.
4. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
5. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "souvenirs."
(b) Their "burdens."
(c) Their "crutches."
(d) Their "treasures."
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
2. What do the men note about the commandant?
3. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
4. What does the German demand of God?
5. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)