|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(b) He is killed in close combat.
(c) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(d) One of his grenades explodes early.
2. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(b) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(c) They may all be dead in eight days.
(d) They will all become civilians again later.
3. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(b) They don't seem to care at all.
(c) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(d) They carry only what their officers force them to.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
(a) He is carrying a machine-gun.
(b) He has not eaten all day.
(c) He has been digging trenches all day.
(d) He has been serving as a liaison.
5. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They sleep with their rifles under them.
(b) They keep watch in pairs.
(c) They disassemble the rifles.
(d) They put an identifying mark on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
2. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
4. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
5. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)