|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
(b) The Marist brother.
(c) Cpl. Bertrand.
(d) The Commandant.
2. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The retreating French blow it up.
(b) By an artillery shell.
(c) It collapses without warning.
(d) The Germans set fire to it.
3. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A screaming tree.
(b) A writhing mess.
(c) A pool of misery.
(d) A poorly butchered animal.
4. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) To search for his brother.
(b) To find a German rifle.
(c) Because he wants to die.
(d) Because he is drunk.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Three men survive.
(b) Ten men survive.
(c) Six men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pépin die?
2. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
3. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
4. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
5. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)