|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
2. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
(a) It is unfinished.
(b) It is clean.
(c) It is deep.
(d) It is German.
3. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(b) A rifle.
(d) His helmet.
4. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
(a) The regiment's curfew begins.
(b) Muster is called.
(c) The sun rises.
(d) The old woman's daughter returns.
5. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They disassemble the rifles.
(b) They put an identifying mark on them.
(c) They keep watch in pairs.
(d) They sleep with their rifles under them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
2. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
3. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
4. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
5. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)