|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A university.
(b) A village.
(c) A church.
(d) A monastery.
2. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They have a charismatic leader.
(b) They are popular in the media.
(c) They are ferocious fighters.
(d) They choose where they fight.
3. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will become deadly weapons.
(b) They are dangerous to everyone.
(c) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(d) They will never be practical.
4. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(b) Telling anecdotes.
(d) Playing cards.
5. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
(a) He thinks it is worthless.
(b) He thinks it was poorly designed.
(c) He knows it will be destroyed by artillery.
(d) He admires it's fine construction.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
2. Cpl. Marchal has what relationship to the narrator?
3. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
4. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
5. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the men's hopes and fears as their last day of leave approaches?
2. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
3. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
4. How does Paradis's mood change throughout Chapter 16?
5. In what way is Fouillade similar to the dog, Labri?
6. How do the men feel about their "treasures"?
7. Describe the conditions in which the squad digs the trench in Chapter 23.
8. What do Volpatte and Fouillade do between the time they are sent to the shell-hole and the time they are found by their unit?
9. What is Volpatte's opinion of the phrase, "If we do return"?
10. In Chapter 15, how do the men react to the lack of supplies?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)