|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
(a) A thug.
(b) A card-sharp.
(c) A joker.
(d) An actor.
2. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) One month.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
3. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
(a) The army is willing to purchase supplies from them.
(b) The army is cracking down on them.
(c) The army is unaware of them.
(d) The army is ignoring them.
4. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
(b) Invalids in a sanatorium.
(d) Inmates in a prison.
5. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
2. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
3. Who is Eudoxie?
4. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
5. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
2. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
3. How adequate are the rations and wages issued to the men?
4. What is meant by the phrase that each poilu "carries his crowd along"?
5. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
6. How do Volpatte and Fouillade get lost?
7. Describe the conditions in which the squad digs the trench in Chapter 23.
8. How much do the men seem to know about different kinds of weapons and artillery?
9. How do the men feel about the things they carry?
10. What are Lamuse and the narrator's opinions about aircraft?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)