|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The bloodthirsty coward.
(b) The quiet comedian.
(c) The foolish intellectual.
(d) The heroic loafer.
2. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A motor pool.
(b) A large camp.
(c) An aid station.
(d) A railway platform.
3. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They had no criminal record.
(b) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(c) They had wealthy families.
(d) They gave themselves up peacefully.
4. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A university.
(b) A church.
(c) A village.
(d) A monastery.
5. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(c) High command visiting the trenches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
2. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
3. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
4. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
5. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem do Blaire and the other face in Chapter 18, "A box of matches", and how do they solve it?
2. What happened to Joseph's brother, and how is his body found?
3. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
4. What do the men believe about 77mm shells, despite evidence to the contrary?
5. During his six-day leave, how much time is Eudore able to share with his wife?
6. How does Volpatte regard his wound? How do the other men regard it?
7. How does the author feel about the speech of the characters in the book he is writing?
8. What is meant by the phrase that each poilu "carries his crowd along"?
9. Briefly summarize Cocon's description of the organization of the forces present near the railway station.
10. What does the narrator overhear the Legionnaires talking about? What are they planning, and why?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)