|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will become deadly weapons.
(b) They will never be practical.
(c) They are dangerous to everyone.
(d) They are unspeakably beautiful.
2. Was does Poterloo discover about his wife?
(a) She is fraternizing with a German officer.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is dangerously ill.
(d) She is pregnant again.
3. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
(a) She falls in love with him.
(b) She is speechless.
(c) She rejects him.
(d) She is frightened, but accepting.
4. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "They are fools."
(b) "It is not worth telling."
(c) "You would not believe me."
(d) "There are too many of them."
5. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They tend his wounds.
(b) They help him recover from shell shock.
(c) They aid him in a small raid.
(d) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
2. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
3. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
4. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
5. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
2. According to the author, what is important about the men writing letters home?
3. During his six-day leave, how much time is Eudore able to share with his wife?
4. What do the soldiers believe about fraternity, liberty, and equality?
5. What are the men's hopes and fears as their last day of leave approaches?
6. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
7. What members of the squad are wounded, die, or are discovered dead after the assault on Hill 119?
8. What does Volpatte do at the depot after recovering from his injuries?
9. What is Poterloo's mental state when he and the narrator discover the remains of Souchez?
10. Describe Lamuse's relationship with Eudoxie.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)