|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will never be practical.
(b) They are dangerous to everyone.
(c) They will become deadly weapons.
(d) They are unspeakably beautiful.
2. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
(a) One of the men tries to cheat him.
(b) The men disagree with him about the war.
(c) The men find his philosophy amusing.
(d) The men make fun of his advanced age.
3. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) Three months.
(d) Five days.
4. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
(a) They cannot wash the battlefields clean.
(b) Only they could cleanse the depots.
(c) They would be choked by the wounded men who are dying.
(d) They will all run red with blood.
5. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
2. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
3. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
4. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
5. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter that the narrator and Paradis have with the four German soldiers.
2. In Chapter 1, how do the men know that an offensive is imminent?
3. According to the author, what is important about the men writing letters home?
4. How do the men feel about the things they carry?
5. What do the men of the squad think about the shirkers?
6. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
7. How do Volpatte and Fouillade get lost?
8. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
9. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
10. How does Poterloo sneak behind enemy lines?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)