|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
(a) Experience poison gas.
(b) Encounter a tank.
(c) Face machine gun fire.
(d) Charge into an enemy trench.
2. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
(a) He reads a newspaper.
(b) He drinks alone.
(c) He talks about his hometown.
(d) He showers in the rain.
3. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A collapsing barn.
(b) An old fortress.
(c) An abandoned estate.
(d) A lone tavern.
4. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will never be practical.
(b) They are dangerous to everyone.
(c) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(d) They will become deadly weapons.
5. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's man of figures.
(b) A renaissance man.
(c) A stern sergeant.
(d) The squad's lance corporal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
2. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
3. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
4. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
5. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that the men at the depot use to explain why they are not fighting?
2. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
3. How do the men feel about their "treasures"?
4. What do most of the wounded in the refuge think about God?
5. How do the invalids in the sanatorium learn of the war?
6. What unusual orders are given to the unit in Chapter 11?
7. How much do the men seem to know about different kinds of weapons and artillery?
8. Who was executed just before the events of Chapter 10, and why?
9. What are the men's hopes and fears as their last day of leave approaches?
10. Describe the encounter that the narrator and Paradis have with the four German soldiers.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)