|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
(a) He received orders to deploy for combat.
(b) He is getting married soon.
(c) He is safe in the south.
(d) He has just been promoted.
2. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 22 days.
(b) One year.
(c) 15 months.
(d) Three years.
3. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
(a) They are captured, but manage to escape.
(b) They get drunk and wander off.
(c) They are separated during an attack.
(d) They are reassigned and then forgotten.
4. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A lone tavern.
(b) An old fortress.
(c) An abandoned estate.
(d) A collapsing barn.
5. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(a) Alleux Wood.
(c) The Ardennes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
2. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
3. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
4. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
5. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the refuge is shelled by artillery?
2. Where is Fouillade from, and what is his hometown like?
3. What members of the squad are wounded, die, or are discovered dead after the assault on Hill 119?
4. Briefly summarize Cocon's description of the organization of the forces present near the railway station.
5. What religious references does the narrator make while escorting Joseph to safety?
6. What do most of the wounded in the refuge think about God?
7. How much do the men seem to know about different kinds of weapons and artillery?
8. In what way is Fouillade similar to the dog, Labri?
9. What is Volpatte's opinion of the phrase, "If we do return"?
10. What is meant by the phrase that each poilu "carries his crowd along"?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)