|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
(a) He thinks it was poorly designed.
(b) He admires it's fine construction.
(c) He knows it will be destroyed by artillery.
(d) He thinks it is worthless.
2. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
3. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) Shirking is human nature.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) It is a smart thing to do.
(d) They are unavoidable.
4. When Cpl. Marchal and the narrator meet, they discuss which of the following happening to their mutual friends?
(b) Death by nerve gas.
(c) Honorable discharge.
(d) Death by bombardment.
5. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are painted flat black.
(b) They are camouflaged.
(c) They are modern.
(d) They are civilian-grade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
2. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
3. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
4. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
5. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Volpatte's opinion of the phrase, "If we do return"?
2. What do Volpatte and Fouillade do between the time they are sent to the shell-hole and the time they are found by their unit?
3. How do Blaire and the others blunder into German lines while searching for matches?
4. In Chapter 1, how do the men know that an offensive is imminent?
5. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
6. What is the nature and duty of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
7. What is meant by the phrase that each poilu "carries his crowd along"?
8. What happened to Joseph's brother, and how is his body found?
9. How adequate are the rations and wages issued to the men?
10. What is Poterloo's mental state when he and the narrator discover the remains of Souchez?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)