|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
(a) They are simple, normal men.
(b) They are eccentric ruffians.
(c) They are soft-spoken heroes.
(d) They are timid cowards.
2. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) It is a smart thing to do.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) They are unavoidable.
3. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(b) He orders a morning parade.
(c) He orders constant drills.
(d) He orders the men to dig trenches.
5. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is well fed.
(c) He doesn't like the men's food.
(d) He doesn't like Fouillade.
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
2. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
3. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
4. What do the narrator and Poterloo do with the three Germans they come across while on their way to Sauchez?
5. Barque is described as being which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men believe about 77mm shells, despite evidence to the contrary?
2. What unusual orders are given to the unit in Chapter 11?
3. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
4. How do the men feel about their "treasures"?
5. In Chapter 15, how do the men react to the lack of supplies?
6. What do the men of the squad think about the shirkers?
7. What is the nature and duty of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
8. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
9. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
10. What does the narrator overhear the Legionnaires talking about? What are they planning, and why?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)