|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
(a) She is hopelessly in love with him.
(b) She can actually speak and understand French.
(c) She is a spy.
(d) She is following him.
2. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will become deadly weapons.
(b) They are dangerous to everyone.
(c) They will never be practical.
(d) They are unspeakably beautiful.
3. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
(a) Everyone died eventually.
(b) One is more likely than the other.
(c) Staying alive feels better.
(d) Death lasts a long time.
4. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
(a) A box of cigars.
(b) A stack of letters for him.
(c) A picture of her.
(d) Ham, bread, and wine.
5. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
(a) It is lined with corpses.
(b) It is burning in places.
(c) It has been destroyed by artillery fire.
(d) It is slick with blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
2. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
3. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
4. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
5. What is Biquet's response to his mother's concern for him as expressed in her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Poterloo sneak behind enemy lines?
2. Describe the conditions in which the squad digs the trench in Chapter 23.
3. What members of the squad are wounded, die, or are discovered dead after the assault on Hill 119?
4. Where is Fouillade from, and what is his hometown like?
5. How do the men first meet Eudoxie, and what is Lamuse doing when they do?
6. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
7. In what way is Fouillade similar to the dog, Labri?
8. How has the squad been reduced in numbers when Chapter 20 opens?
9. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
10. What religious references does the narrator make while escorting Joseph to safety?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)