|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A medical squad.
(b) A reserve squad.
(c) A front-line squad.
(d) An engineering squad.
2. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(b) Hundreds of thousands.
(d) More than there are men on the front.
3. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They have a charismatic leader.
(b) They choose where they fight.
(c) They are popular in the media.
(d) They are ferocious fighters.
4. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Thirty million deaths.
(b) Three million deaths.
(c) Ten million deaths.
(d) One million deaths.
5. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
(a) They get drunk and wander off.
(b) They are reassigned and then forgotten.
(c) They are separated during an attack.
(d) They are captured, but manage to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
2. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
3. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
4. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
5. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
2. What do the survivors of Bertrand's squad do while on leave?
3. Describe Lamuse's relationship with Eudoxie.
4. How prepared are the men for a gas attack?
5. Who was executed just before the events of Chapter 10, and why?
6. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
7. What happens when the refuge is shelled by artillery?
8. What does Volpatte do at the depot after recovering from his injuries?
9. How do Blaire and the others blunder into German lines while searching for matches?
10. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)