|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's man of figures.
(b) A renaissance man.
(c) The squad's lance corporal.
(d) A stern sergeant.
2. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Eating at a table.
(b) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
(c) Sleeping under a roof.
(d) Eating good food.
3. Barque is described as being which of the following?
(a) A trickster.
(b) A sage.
(c) A leader.
(d) A rebel.
4. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Lock and stock.
(b) Brass tacks.
(c) Old boots.
(d) The grumbler.
5. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(b) They want to know what he's hiding.
(c) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(d) They know he should not hold his anger in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
2. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
3. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
4. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
5. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was executed just before the events of Chapter 10, and why?
2. Describe the encounter that the narrator and Paradis have with the four German soldiers.
3. What are the men's hopes and fears as their last day of leave approaches?
4. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
5. What are Lamuse and the narrator's opinions about aircraft?
6. What is Poterloo's mental state when he and the narrator discover the remains of Souchez?
7. What do the survivors of Bertrand's squad do while on leave?
8. How has the squad been reduced in numbers when Chapter 20 opens?
9. How do the civilian's perceptions of the war differ from the soldier's experiences?
10. What does the narrator overhear the Legionnaires talking about? What are they planning, and why?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)