|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) An offensive will soon begin.
(b) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
(c) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(d) They will be placed on leave.
2. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Three million deaths.
(b) Thirty million deaths.
(c) Ten million deaths.
(d) One million deaths.
3. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In the Alps.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In Paris.
(d) On the French-German border.
4. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
(a) He thinks it was poorly designed.
(b) He thinks it is worthless.
(c) He knows it will be destroyed by artillery.
(d) He admires it's fine construction.
5. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
(a) Staying alive feels better.
(b) One is more likely than the other.
(c) Everyone died eventually.
(d) Death lasts a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
2. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
3. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
4. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
5. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much do the men seem to know about different kinds of weapons and artillery?
2. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
3. What do the soldiers believe about fraternity, liberty, and equality?
4. What is the attitude of the men towards the journalists?
5. What are some of the predictions made by the invalids?
6. What is Poterloo's mental state when he and the narrator discover the remains of Souchez?
7. What is the state of the area around the railway station where the squad waits in Chapter 7?
8. What do most of the wounded in the refuge think about God?
9. How has the squad been reduced in numbers when Chapter 20 opens?
10. What are Lamuse and the narrator's opinions about aircraft?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)