|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cpl. Marchal has what relationship to the narrator?
(a) He saved the narrator's life.
(b) He is an old friend of the narrator's.
(c) He is the narrator's commanding officer.
(d) He serves under the narrator.
2. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is crude and vulgar.
(b) He is war-mucky.
(c) He is an enlisted man.
(d) He is exceptionally rude to them.
3. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(b) High command visiting the trenches.
(d) Soldiers on a short deployment.
4. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(b) To build emergency earthworks.
(c) To man a sentry post.
(d) To carry ammunition to the front.
5. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(b) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
(c) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
(d) They surprise the soldiers at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eudoxie?
2. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
3. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
5. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that the men at the depot use to explain why they are not fighting?
2. How does the author feel about the speech of the characters in the book he is writing?
3. What do Volpatte and Fouillade do between the time they are sent to the shell-hole and the time they are found by their unit?
4. Describe the encounter that the narrator and Paradis have with the four German soldiers.
5. Describe the conditions in which the squad digs the trench in Chapter 23.
6. What happens when the refuge is shelled by artillery?
7. How prepared are the men for a gas attack?
8. Briefly summarize Cocon's description of the organization of the forces present near the railway station.
9. How does the squad acquire room and board in Gauchin-l'Abbé?
10. How do the men feel about the things they carry?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)