|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Three million deaths.
(b) Ten million deaths.
(c) One million deaths.
(d) Thirty million deaths.
2. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Telling anecdotes.
3. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
(a) He talks about his hometown.
(b) He drinks alone.
(c) He showers in the rain.
(d) He reads a newspaper.
4. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
(a) The medical staff.
(b) The civilians.
(c) The police.
(d) The English enlisted men.
5. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) An aid station.
(b) A motor pool.
(c) A railway platform.
(d) A large camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
2. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
3. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
4. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
5. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men of the squad think about the shirkers?
2. What unusual orders are given to the unit in Chapter 11?
3. Briefly summarize Cocon's description of the organization of the forces present near the railway station.
4. How do Blaire and the others blunder into German lines while searching for matches?
5. How do the men first meet Eudoxie, and what is Lamuse doing when they do?
6. What does the narrator overhear the Legionnaires talking about? What are they planning, and why?
7. How does the author feel about the speech of the characters in the book he is writing?
8. Describe the conditions in which the squad digs the trench in Chapter 23.
9. How prepared are the men for a gas attack?
10. Where do the men go when the bombardment gets worse? What happens when they get there?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)