|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Telling anecdotes.
2. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
(a) He is wrapped in bloody bandages.
(b) He is insane.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is violently ill.
3. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To the reserves area.
(b) To Egypt.
(c) To the front.
(d) To the Ardennes.
4. In Chapter 11, a general schedules a curfew for what period of time everyday?
(a) While he is sleeping.
(b) While he is in town.
(c) While he is at church.
(d) From noon to sunset.
5. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) On the radio.
(b) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
(c) At a tavern in town.
(d) In an officer's social hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
2. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
3. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
4. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
5. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much do the men seem to know about different kinds of weapons and artillery?
2. Describe Lamuse's relationship with Eudoxie.
3. How adequate are the rations and wages issued to the men?
4. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
5. During his six-day leave, how much time is Eudore able to share with his wife?
6. What are Lamuse and the narrator's opinions about aircraft?
7. How does Paradis's mood change throughout Chapter 16?
8. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
9. Where do the men go when the bombardment gets worse? What happens when they get there?
10. Where is Fouillade from, and what is his hometown like?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)