|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 100 non-combatants.
(b) 20 non-combatants.
(c) 250 non-combatants.
(d) 50 non-combatants.
2. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A lone tavern.
(b) An abandoned estate.
(c) An old fortress.
(d) A collapsing barn.
3. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
4. Barque is described as being which of the following?
(a) A leader.
(b) A sage.
(c) A rebel.
(d) A trickster.
5. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They are ferocious fighters.
(b) They have a charismatic leader.
(c) They choose where they fight.
(d) They are popular in the media.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
2. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
3. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
5. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was executed just before the events of Chapter 10, and why?
2. What do the men believe about 77mm shells, despite evidence to the contrary?
3. What members of the squad are wounded, die, or are discovered dead after the assault on Hill 119?
4. What does Volpatte do at the depot after recovering from his injuries?
5. Describe the encounter that the narrator and Paradis have with the four German soldiers.
6. What are the men's hopes and fears as their last day of leave approaches?
7. What is Poterloo's mental state when he and the narrator discover the remains of Souchez?
8. What does the German in the refuge say and wonder about God?
9. What obstacles do the French face during their assault on the German trench?
10. How do Volpatte and Fouillade get lost?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)