|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
(a) He is gathering flowers for her.
(b) He is stalking her.
(c) He is carrying her things.
(d) He is arguing with her.
2. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
(a) He doesn't like the men's food.
(b) He is well fed.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He doesn't like Fouillade.
3. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
(a) Staying alive feels better.
(b) Everyone died eventually.
(c) One is more likely than the other.
(d) Death lasts a long time.
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders constant drills.
(b) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(c) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(d) He orders a morning parade.
5. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 250 non-combatants.
(b) 100 non-combatants.
(c) 50 non-combatants.
(d) 20 non-combatants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
2. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
3. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
4. When Cpl. Marchal and the narrator meet, they discuss which of the following happening to their mutual friends?
5. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
2. What do the soldiers believe about fraternity, liberty, and equality?
3. What do the soldiers think about people touting the fine and admirable side of war?
4. In what way is Fouillade similar to the dog, Labri?
5. How do the men feel about the things they carry?
6. How does the author feel about the speech of the characters in the book he is writing?
7. How do the men first meet Eudoxie, and what is Lamuse doing when they do?
8. How does Poterloo sneak behind enemy lines?
9. How do the invalids in the sanatorium learn of the war?
10. What unusual orders are given to the unit in Chapter 11?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)