|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(c) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(d) Photographs of family and friends.
2. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) He is killed in close combat.
(b) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(c) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(d) One of his grenades explodes early.
3. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To help bury bodies.
(b) For guard duty.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To talk with him.
4. According to Cocon, how many villages has the squad quartered in?
(d) 47 villages.
5. In Chapter 14, the squad learns that they are headed where?
(a) To the front lines.
(b) To the south.
(c) To Verdun.
(d) To Paris for leave.
6. What does the German demand of God?
(a) That he reveal his true name.
(b) That he stop the shells.
(c) The he spare the men in the refuge their pain.
(d) That he end his life.
7. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The Marist brother.
(b) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
(c) Cpl. Bertrand.
(d) The Commandant.
8. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Thirty minutes.
9. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
(a) An aviator.
(b) A sniper.
(c) A sapper.
(d) An officer.
10. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
(a) "Let's go."
(b) "Hurry up."
(d) "Don't worry."
11. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) Germans running in terror from the French.
(b) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
(c) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(d) A German terrorizing a French woman.
12. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He never thought about it.
(b) He doesn't think it is important.
(c) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(d) He is worried about getting the tone right.
13. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(b) Machine gun fire.
(d) Barrage fire.
14. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He immediately breaks down in shock.
(c) He flies into a rage.
(d) He vomits.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Six men survive.
(b) Three men survive.
(c) Ten men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
2. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
3. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
4. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
5. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)