|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
(a) A sniper.
(b) A sapper.
(c) An aviator.
(d) An officer.
2. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) Germans running in terror from the French.
(b) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(c) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
(d) A German terrorizing a French woman.
3. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He is escorted back by military police.
(b) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
(c) He wanders back, as if by accident.
(d) He slinks in, totally depressed.
4. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Thirty minutes.
5. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
(c) The Ardennes.
(d) Benthoval Wood.
6. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "souvenirs."
(b) Their "crutches."
(c) Their "burdens."
(d) Their "treasures."
7. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The Marist brother.
(b) The Commandant.
(c) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
(d) Cpl. Bertrand.
8. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
9. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
(a) A box of matches.
(b) An egg.
(c) A small tin of tobacco.
(d) Half of his dry ration.
10. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
(a) He reads a meaningless passage from Leviticus to the men.
(b) He attaches knives to certain soldier's greatcoats.
(c) He makes strange marks on the trench's walls with chalk.
(d) He takes a single bullet from each man's supplies.
11. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(b) His helmet.
(c) A rifle.
12. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To locate new supplies.
(b) To clear an area of mines.
(c) To clear out an international trench.
(d) To find a German listening post.
13. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
(a) They are bloodthirsty and love close-combat.
(b) They are optimistic.
(c) They are lucky and avoided most fights.
(d) They are new recruits.
14. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) Partially severed at the waist.
(b) Grotesquely bloated.
(c) In several pieces.
(d) Stretched out like a cross.
15. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They are jealous of his charmed life.
(b) They all look up to him.
(c) They think he is crazy.
(d) They resent his status.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
2. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
3. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
4. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
5. How is the refuge destroyed?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)