|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(b) He is killed in close combat.
(c) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(d) One of his grenades explodes early.
2. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Special artillery shells.
(b) Forward trenches.
(c) Groups of spies.
3. How does Pépin die?
(a) To friendly fire.
(b) To trench-foot.
(c) To a sniper.
(d) To an artillery shell.
4. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) An illegal wine cellar.
(b) An old graveyard.
(c) German spies.
(d) A treasure chest.
5. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
6. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
(b) Place in the food line.
(c) The first watch.
(d) Sleeping space.
7. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(b) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(c) They don't seem to care at all.
(d) They carry only what their officers force them to.
8. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
(a) They are the same.
(b) They are both hypocritical.
(c) They are different.
(d) They are pointless.
9. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) His medals.
(b) His identity papers.
(c) A photo of his wife.
(d) A flask of brandy.
10. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
(a) A box of matches.
(b) A small tin of tobacco.
(c) Half of his dry ration.
(d) An egg.
11. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) In several pieces.
(b) Grotesquely bloated.
(c) Partially severed at the waist.
(d) Stretched out like a cross.
12. What do the men note about the commandant?
(a) He can't smoke a pipe without scorching it.
(b) He hates animals.
(c) He has the accent of a peasant.
(d) He is harsh and capricious.
13. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To clear out an international trench.
(b) To clear an area of mines.
(c) To locate new supplies.
(d) To find a German listening post.
14. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A poorly butchered animal.
(b) A screaming tree.
(c) A writhing mess.
(d) A pool of misery.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Twelve men survive.
(b) Three men survive.
(c) Six men survive.
(d) Ten men survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
2. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
3. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
4. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
5. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)