|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They don't seem to care at all.
(b) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(c) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(d) They carry only what their officers force them to.
2. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How many miles they marched.
(b) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How much weight they carry in total.
3. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
(a) They are new recruits.
(b) They are optimistic.
(c) They are lucky and avoided most fights.
(d) They are bloodthirsty and love close-combat.
4. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
(a) The Ardennes.
(c) Benthoval Wood.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Ten men survive.
(b) Six men survive.
(c) Three men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
6. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "crutches."
(b) Their "treasures."
(c) Their "burdens."
(d) Their "souvenirs."
7. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
(b) He shares his food with her.
(c) He gathers firewood for her.
(d) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
8. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Photographs of family and friends.
(b) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(c) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
9. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) An old graveyard.
(b) German spies.
(c) A treasure chest.
(d) An illegal wine cellar.
10. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Six hours.
11. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He immediately breaks down in shock.
(d) He flies into a rage.
12. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
(b) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(c) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
(d) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
13. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(b) They describe the situation honestly.
(c) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(d) They embellish its hardships.
14. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
(b) A stray cat.
15. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(b) His helmet.
(c) A rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
2. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
3. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
4. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
5. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)