|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They put an identifying mark on them.
(b) They disassemble the rifles.
(c) They keep watch in pairs.
(d) They sleep with their rifles under them.
2. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They embellish its hardships.
(b) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(c) They describe the situation honestly.
(d) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Six men survive.
(b) Ten men survive.
(c) Three men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
4. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How much weight they carry in total.
(b) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How many miles they marched.
5. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) Because he wants to die.
(b) To find a German rifle.
(c) Because he is drunk.
(d) To search for his brother.
6. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(b) Red Cross sergeant.
7. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(c) Machine gun fire.
(d) Barrage fire.
8. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
(b) Le Havre.
9. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
(a) Half of his dry ration.
(b) A box of matches.
(c) A small tin of tobacco.
(d) An egg.
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) The front.
(b) His hometown.
(c) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
(d) A great, unknown light.
11. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) A charnel house.
(b) A devil's feast.
(c) An abattoir.
12. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
(a) A sniper.
(b) An officer.
(c) A sapper.
(d) An aviator.
13. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(b) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(c) They need to be alert.
(d) They don't want to be hungover.
14. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He is escorted back by military police.
(b) He wanders back, as if by accident.
(c) He slinks in, totally depressed.
(d) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
15. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
2. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
3. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
4. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
5. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)