|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) Grotesquely bloated.
(b) In several pieces.
(c) Stretched out like a cross.
(d) Partially severed at the waist.
2. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He never thought about it.
(b) He doesn't think it is important.
(c) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(d) He is worried about getting the tone right.
3. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They carry only what their officers force them to.
(b) They don't seem to care at all.
(c) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(d) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
4. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How many miles they marched.
(b) How much weight they carry in total.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
(a) He is carrying a machine-gun.
(b) He has been digging trenches all day.
(c) He has not eaten all day.
(d) He has been serving as a liaison.
6. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They keep watch in pairs.
(b) They disassemble the rifles.
(c) They put an identifying mark on them.
(d) They sleep with their rifles under them.
7. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) For guard duty.
(b) To search for a body.
(c) To help bury bodies.
(d) To talk with him.
8. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) They don't want to be hungover.
(b) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(c) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(d) They need to be alert.
9. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
(a) He lost both arms.
(b) He suffered burns by chemical gas.
(c) He lost both legs.
(d) He lost one eye, the other is bandaged.
10. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He flies into a rage.
(c) He immediately breaks down in shock.
(d) He vomits.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Ten men survive.
(b) Six men survive.
(c) Three men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
12. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) Barrage fire.
13. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He gathers firewood for her.
(b) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(c) He shares his food with her.
(d) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
14. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) The front.
(b) A great, unknown light.
(c) His hometown.
(d) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
15. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
(a) It can never be defeated.
(b) There are two Frances, and there are too many on the happy side.
(c) It has not changed since the revolution, and will never change.
(d) It is bound to fall apart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
2. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
3. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
4. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
5. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)