|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pépin die?
(a) To a sniper.
(b) To friendly fire.
(c) To trench-foot.
(d) To an artillery shell.
2. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) His identity papers.
(b) A flask of brandy.
(c) A photo of his wife.
(d) His medals.
3. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How many miles they marched.
(b) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How much weight they carry in total.
4. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) A great, unknown light.
(b) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
(c) His hometown.
(d) The front.
5. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
(a) He lost one eye, the other is bandaged.
(b) He suffered burns by chemical gas.
(c) He lost both arms.
(d) He lost both legs.
6. What does a sapper do?
(a) Lays and removes mines.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Locates enemy units.
(d) Builds bridges and fortifications.
7. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
(b) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
(c) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(d) A trench built in no-man's land.
8. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(c) Red Cross sergeant.
9. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are ugly, but effective.
(b) They are plain and lack elegance.
(c) They are ugly and of low quality.
(d) They are useless, but look good.
10. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "treasures."
(b) Their "burdens."
(c) Their "crutches."
(d) Their "souvenirs."
11. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
(a) The theater.
12. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(b) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(c) They may all be dead in eight days.
(d) They will all become civilians again later.
13. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(b) One of his grenades explodes early.
(c) He is killed in close combat.
(d) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
14. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
(a) Pépin tries to improvise.
(b) Blaire tries to get help from another regiment.
(c) Poupardin leads them in foraging.
(d) They send Volpatte to complain to Cpl. Bertrand.
15. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) German spies.
(c) An illegal wine cellar.
(d) An old graveyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
2. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
3. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
4. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
5. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)