|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(c) Barrage fire.
2. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(b) They may all be dead in eight days.
(c) They will all become civilians again later.
(d) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
3. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) In several pieces.
(b) Partially severed at the waist.
(c) Grotesquely bloated.
(d) Stretched out like a cross.
4. What do the two Moroccans want from the men?
5. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
(a) They are both hypocritical.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are pointless.
(d) They are different.
6. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They resent his status.
(b) They all look up to him.
(c) They think he is crazy.
(d) They are jealous of his charmed life.
7. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
(b) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
(c) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(d) A trench built in no-man's land.
8. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
(b) "Hurry up."
(c) "Let's go."
(d) "Don't worry."
9. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
(a) He can't bear to go back to the front.
(b) He no longer cares for civilian life.
(c) He now longs to find a wife.
(d) He has become and elegant, well-groomed man.
10. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(a) Red Cross sergeant.
11. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(b) He doesn't think it is important.
(c) He is worried about getting the tone right.
(d) He never thought about it.
12. What does a sapper do?
(a) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Locates enemy units.
(d) Lays and removes mines.
13. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(b) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(c) He is killed in close combat.
(d) One of his grenades explodes early.
14. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "souvenirs."
(b) Their "treasures."
(c) Their "burdens."
(d) Their "crutches."
15. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) They need to be alert.
(b) They don't want to be hungover.
(c) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(d) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
2. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
3. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
4. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
5. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)