|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To help bury bodies.
(b) To search for a body.
(c) To talk with him.
(d) For guard duty.
2. How does Pépin die?
(a) To trench-foot.
(b) To a sniper.
(c) To friendly fire.
(d) To an artillery shell.
3. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He gathers firewood for her.
(b) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(c) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
(d) He shares his food with her.
4. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
5. In Chapter 14, the squad learns that they are headed where?
(a) To the south.
(b) To Verdun.
(c) To the front lines.
(d) To Paris for leave.
6. What do the two Moroccans want from the men?
7. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(b) A charnel house.
(c) A devil's feast.
(d) An abattoir.
8. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A poorly butchered animal.
(b) A pool of misery.
(c) A writhing mess.
(d) A screaming tree.
9. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) A flask of brandy.
(b) His medals.
(c) His identity papers.
(d) A photo of his wife.
10. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) Partially severed at the waist.
(b) Grotesquely bloated.
(c) Stretched out like a cross.
(d) In several pieces.
11. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
(a) He once kidded about believing in them.
(b) He doubts them, but always sees them come true.
(c) He despises them.
(d) He fervently believes in them.
12. According to Cocon, how many villages has the squad quartered in?
(a) 47 villages.
13. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(b) They describe the situation honestly.
(c) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(d) They embellish its hardships.
14. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) To find a German rifle.
(b) Because he is drunk.
(c) To search for his brother.
(d) Because he wants to die.
15. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The Germans set fire to it.
(b) The retreating French blow it up.
(c) It collapses without warning.
(d) By an artillery shell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
2. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
3. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
4. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
5. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)