|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
(c) The theater.
2. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(b) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(c) One of his grenades explodes early.
(d) He is killed in close combat.
3. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He never thought about it.
(b) He is worried about getting the tone right.
(c) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(d) He doesn't think it is important.
4. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
5. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "burdens."
(b) Their "souvenirs."
(c) Their "treasures."
(d) Their "crutches."
6. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(a) A rifle.
(b) His helmet.
7. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
(a) They are new recruits.
(b) They are bloodthirsty and love close-combat.
(c) They are lucky and avoided most fights.
(d) They are optimistic.
8. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
(b) He slinks in, totally depressed.
(c) He is escorted back by military police.
(d) He wanders back, as if by accident.
9. What do the men note about the commandant?
(a) He is harsh and capricious.
(b) He can't smoke a pipe without scorching it.
(c) He has the accent of a peasant.
(d) He hates animals.
10. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
(a) He no longer cares for civilian life.
(b) He can't bear to go back to the front.
(c) He now longs to find a wife.
(d) He has become and elegant, well-groomed man.
11. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
(a) They are shot by the soldiers.
(b) They are caught and eaten by hungry soldiers.
(c) They fight over corpses and kill each other.
(d) They die of poisoning.
12. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(b) They may all be dead in eight days.
(c) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(d) They will all become civilians again later.
13. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The Germans set fire to it.
(b) By an artillery shell.
(c) It collapses without warning.
(d) The retreating French blow it up.
14. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) For guard duty.
(b) To help bury bodies.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To talk with him.
15. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) There is no firewood.
(b) They are not allowed to start a fire.
(c) They have no way to light a fire.
(d) There is no cooking equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
2. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
3. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
4. According to Cocon, how many villages has the squad quartered in?
5. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)