|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(b) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
(c) A trench built in no-man's land.
(d) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
2. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They are jealous of his charmed life.
(b) They think he is crazy.
(c) They resent his status.
(d) They all look up to him.
3. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
(b) They have better wages.
(c) They brag of their exploits.
(d) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
4. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
(a) He takes a single bullet from each man's supplies.
(b) He attaches knives to certain soldier's greatcoats.
(c) He reads a meaningless passage from Leviticus to the men.
(d) He makes strange marks on the trench's walls with chalk.
5. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) It collapses without warning.
(b) By an artillery shell.
(c) The retreating French blow it up.
(d) The Germans set fire to it.
6. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
(a) They send Volpatte to complain to Cpl. Bertrand.
(b) Poupardin leads them in foraging.
(c) Blaire tries to get help from another regiment.
(d) Pépin tries to improvise.
7. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
(a) An egg.
(b) A box of matches.
(c) A small tin of tobacco.
(d) Half of his dry ration.
8. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(b) Barrage fire.
(c) Machine gun fire.
9. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
(a) He can't bear to go back to the front.
(b) He no longer cares for civilian life.
(c) He now longs to find a wife.
(d) He has become and elegant, well-groomed man.
10. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(a) An abattoir.
(c) A devil's feast.
(d) A charnel house.
11. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To talk with him.
(b) To search for a body.
(c) To help bury bodies.
(d) For guard duty.
12. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By bartering with other squads.
(b) By being friends with the quartermaster.
(c) By seeking promotions.
(d) By stealing.
13. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) Because he is drunk.
(b) To search for his brother.
(c) To find a German rifle.
(d) Because he wants to die.
14. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He flies into a rage.
(c) He immediately breaks down in shock.
(d) He hugs her.
15. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
2. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
3. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
4. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)