|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) An illegal wine cellar.
(c) An old graveyard.
(d) German spies.
2. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To search for a body.
(b) To talk with him.
(c) To help bury bodies.
(d) For guard duty.
3. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They all look up to him.
(b) They are jealous of his charmed life.
(c) They resent his status.
(d) They think he is crazy.
4. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) They are not allowed to start a fire.
(b) There is no cooking equipment.
(c) They have no way to light a fire.
(d) There is no firewood.
5. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are ugly, but effective.
(b) They are useless, but look good.
(c) They are plain and lack elegance.
(d) They are ugly and of low quality.
6. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(b) They don't want to be hungover.
(c) They need to be alert.
(d) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
7. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Groups of spies.
(b) Forward trenches.
(d) Special artillery shells.
8. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(b) One of his grenades explodes early.
(c) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(d) He is killed in close combat.
9. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To find a German listening post.
(b) To clear an area of mines.
(c) To clear out an international trench.
(d) To locate new supplies.
10. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(b) Germans running in terror from the French.
(c) A German terrorizing a French woman.
(d) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
11. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Photographs of family and friends.
(c) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(d) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Three men survive.
(b) Ten men survive.
(c) Six men survive.
(d) Twelve men survive.
13. What does a sapper do?
(a) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Lays and removes mines.
(d) Locates enemy units.
14. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
(a) Half of his dry ration.
(b) An egg.
(c) A box of matches.
(d) A small tin of tobacco.
15. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(a) His helmet.
(c) A rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Marist brother killed?
2. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
3. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
4. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
5. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)