|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are ugly, but effective.
(b) They are ugly and of low quality.
(c) They are plain and lack elegance.
(d) They are useless, but look good.
2. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(b) They don't seem to care at all.
(c) They carry only what their officers force them to.
(d) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
3. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
(a) A pack of crackers.
(b) A roasted chicken.
(c) A flask of whisky.
(d) A petrol lighter.
4. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
(b) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(c) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
(d) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 22, how many men from Bertrad's squad survive?
(a) Three men survive.
(b) Six men survive.
(c) Twelve men survive.
(d) Ten men survive.
6. How does Pépin die?
(a) To an artillery shell.
(b) To a sniper.
(c) To friendly fire.
(d) To trench-foot.
7. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
(a) It can never be defeated.
(b) It is bound to fall apart.
(c) There are two Frances, and there are too many on the happy side.
(d) It has not changed since the revolution, and will never change.
8. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
(b) He is escorted back by military police.
(c) He wanders back, as if by accident.
(d) He slinks in, totally depressed.
9. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Forward trenches.
(b) Special artillery shells.
(c) Groups of spies.
10. What do the men note about the commandant?
(a) He is harsh and capricious.
(b) He hates animals.
(c) He has the accent of a peasant.
(d) He can't smoke a pipe without scorching it.
11. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
(b) Le Havre.
12. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They have better wages.
(b) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(c) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
(d) They brag of their exploits.
13. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(a) Red Cross sergeant.
14. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The Commandant.
(b) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
(c) Cpl. Bertrand.
(d) The Marist brother.
15. What does a sapper do?
(a) Lays and removes mines.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(d) Locates enemy units.
Short Answer Questions
1. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
2. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
3. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
4. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
5. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)