|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Marist brother killed?
(a) By an artillery shell.
(b) By a sniper.
(c) By the gunfire of approaching Germans.
(d) By an insane patient.
2. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
3. What do the two Moroccans want from the men?
4. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(b) Photographs of family and friends.
(d) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
5. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
(a) They are lucky and avoided most fights.
(b) They are bloodthirsty and love close-combat.
(c) They are optimistic.
(d) They are new recruits.
6. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He never thought about it.
(b) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(c) He doesn't think it is important.
(d) He is worried about getting the tone right.
7. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The Commandant.
(b) The Marist brother.
(c) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
(d) Cpl. Bertrand.
8. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(b) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(c) They describe the situation honestly.
(d) They embellish its hardships.
9. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) His identity papers.
(b) His medals.
(c) A photo of his wife.
(d) A flask of brandy.
10. In Chapter 14, the squad learns that they are headed where?
(a) To Paris for leave.
(b) To the south.
(c) To the front lines.
(d) To Verdun.
11. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How much weight they carry in total.
(b) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How many miles they marched.
12. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They brag of their exploits.
(b) They have better wages.
(c) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(d) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
13. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To search for a body.
(b) For guard duty.
(c) To help bury bodies.
(d) To talk with him.
14. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are ugly and of low quality.
(b) They are useless, but look good.
(c) They are ugly, but effective.
(d) They are plain and lack elegance.
15. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) There is no firewood.
(b) There is no cooking equipment.
(c) They have no way to light a fire.
(d) They are not allowed to start a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
2. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
3. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
4. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
5. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)