|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) They have no way to light a fire.
(b) There is no cooking equipment.
(c) There is no firewood.
(d) They are not allowed to start a fire.
2. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) His hometown.
(b) The front.
(c) A great, unknown light.
(d) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
3. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By being friends with the quartermaster.
(b) By stealing.
(c) By seeking promotions.
(d) By bartering with other squads.
4. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(d) Red Cross sergeant.
5. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
(b) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(c) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
(d) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
6. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He never thought about it.
(b) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
(c) He doesn't think it is important.
(d) He is worried about getting the tone right.
7. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
(a) "Hurry up."
(c) "Let's go."
(d) "Don't worry."
8. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(b) They carry only what their officers force them to.
(c) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(d) They don't seem to care at all.
9. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They keep watch in pairs.
(b) They sleep with their rifles under them.
(c) They disassemble the rifles.
(d) They put an identifying mark on them.
10. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "burdens."
(b) Their "treasures."
(c) Their "crutches."
(d) Their "souvenirs."
11. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Special artillery shells.
(c) Groups of spies.
(d) Forward trenches.
12. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
(b) He gathers firewood for her.
(c) He shares his food with her.
(d) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
13. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
14. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are useless, but look good.
(b) They are plain and lack elegance.
(c) They are ugly and of low quality.
(d) They are ugly, but effective.
15. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(b) A charnel house.
(c) A devil's feast.
(d) An abattoir.
Short Answer Questions
1. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
2. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
3. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
4. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
5. What does the German demand of God?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)