|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) For guard duty.
(b) To talk with him.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To help bury bodies.
2. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(b) They need to be alert.
(c) They don't want to be hungover.
(d) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
3. During the offensive, when does the squad come under fire?
(a) When they cross the barbed-wire.
(b) The instant they leave their trench.
(c) As soon as they descend the slope.
(d) When they enter the international trench.
4. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
(b) A charnel house.
(c) A devil's feast.
(d) An abattoir.
5. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
(b) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(c) He shares his food with her.
(d) He gathers firewood for her.
6. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A pool of misery.
(b) A writhing mess.
(c) A poorly butchered animal.
(d) A screaming tree.
7. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
(a) They are caught and eaten by hungry soldiers.
(b) They fight over corpses and kill each other.
(c) They are shot by the soldiers.
(d) They die of poisoning.
8. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
(b) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
(c) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(d) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
9. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) Because he wants to die.
(b) Because he is drunk.
(c) To find a German rifle.
(d) To search for his brother.
10. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
(a) Place in the food line.
(b) Sleeping space.
(c) The first watch.
11. What does the German demand of God?
(a) The he spare the men in the refuge their pain.
(b) That he end his life.
(c) That he reveal his true name.
(d) That he stop the shells.
12. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
13. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By stealing.
(b) By bartering with other squads.
(c) By seeking promotions.
(d) By being friends with the quartermaster.
14. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
(a) He now longs to find a wife.
(b) He has become and elegant, well-groomed man.
(c) He no longer cares for civilian life.
(d) He can't bear to go back to the front.
15. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
(c) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
2. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
3. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
4. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
5. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)