|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) One of his grenades explodes early.
(b) He is killed in close combat.
(c) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(d) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
2. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
(b) They have better wages.
(c) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(d) They brag of their exploits.
3. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He gathers firewood for her.
(b) He shares his food with her.
(c) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(d) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
4. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To clear out an international trench.
(b) To find a German listening post.
(c) To locate new supplies.
(d) To clear an area of mines.
5. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) They are not allowed to start a fire.
(b) They have no way to light a fire.
(c) There is no firewood.
(d) There is no cooking equipment.
6. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
(b) Sleeping space.
(c) Place in the food line.
(d) The first watch.
7. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
8. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
(b) Le Havre.
9. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
(a) He doesn't think it is important.
(b) He is worried about getting the tone right.
(c) He never thought about it.
(d) He hates not being allowed to accurately portray soldiers.
10. What do the two Moroccans want from the men?
11. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
(a) He lost both arms.
(b) He lost both legs.
(c) He suffered burns by chemical gas.
(d) He lost one eye, the other is bandaged.
12. How does Pépin die?
(a) To friendly fire.
(b) To a sniper.
(c) To trench-foot.
(d) To an artillery shell.
13. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
(b) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(c) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
(d) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
14. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) One day.
(d) Two hours.
15. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(b) A German terrorizing a French woman.
(c) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
(d) Germans running in terror from the French.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
2. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
3. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
4. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
5. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)