|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
(b) One of his grenades explodes early.
(c) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(d) He is killed in close combat.
2. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A poorly butchered animal.
(b) A pool of misery.
(c) A writhing mess.
(d) A screaming tree.
3. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(b) Red Cross sergeant.
4. What does a sapper do?
(a) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Locates enemy units.
(d) Lays and removes mines.
5. Who is the "weasel-faced ancient at Gauchin" from the newspaper story?
(a) The Marist brother.
(b) The Commandant.
(c) Cpl. Bertrand.
(d) The old treasure hunting man the squad met earlier.
6. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They keep watch in pairs.
(b) They put an identifying mark on them.
(c) They sleep with their rifles under them.
(d) They disassemble the rifles.
7. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
(a) Blaire tries to get help from another regiment.
(b) Poupardin leads them in foraging.
(c) Pépin tries to improvise.
(d) They send Volpatte to complain to Cpl. Bertrand.
8. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
9. How long does Joseph wait before receiving aid at the refuge?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) One day.
10. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
11. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
(b) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
(c) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(d) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
12. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
(b) "Don't worry."
(c) "Let's go."
(d) "Hurry up."
13. How does Lamuse react to seeing Eudoxie's body?
(a) He immediately breaks down in shock.
(b) He flies into a rage.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He vomits.
14. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
(a) It can never be defeated.
(b) It is bound to fall apart.
(c) It has not changed since the revolution, and will never change.
(d) There are two Frances, and there are too many on the happy side.
15. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
(a) The regiment's curfew begins.
(b) The old woman's daughter returns.
(c) The sun rises.
(d) Muster is called.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
2. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
3. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
4. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
5. What does the German demand of God?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)