|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(a) Groups of spies.
(c) Forward trenches.
(d) Special artillery shells.
2. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(a) Red Cross sergeant.
3. In Chapter 14, the squad learns that they are headed where?
(a) To Paris for leave.
(b) To Verdun.
(c) To the south.
(d) To the front lines.
4. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) An illegal wine cellar.
(b) An old graveyard.
(c) German spies.
(d) A treasure chest.
5. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They don't seem to care at all.
(b) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(c) They carry only what their officers force them to.
(d) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
6. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(a) Barrage fire.
(d) Machine gun fire.
7. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He wanders back, as if by accident.
(b) He slinks in, totally depressed.
(c) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
(d) He is escorted back by military police.
8. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) A great, unknown light.
(b) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
(c) The front.
(d) His hometown.
9. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
(a) A petrol lighter.
(b) A flask of whisky.
(c) A pack of crackers.
(d) A roasted chicken.
10. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To search for a body.
(b) To talk with him.
(c) To help bury bodies.
(d) For guard duty.
11. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) A German terrorizing a French woman.
(b) Germans running in terror from the French.
(c) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(d) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
12. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
(a) Benthoval Wood.
(b) The Ardennes.
13. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To clear an area of mines.
(b) To find a German listening post.
(c) To clear out an international trench.
(d) To locate new supplies.
14. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(b) He gathers firewood for her.
(c) He shares his food with her.
(d) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
15. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
(a) Muster is called.
(b) The sun rises.
(c) The old woman's daughter returns.
(d) The regiment's curfew begins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is eager to prove themselves as a new cook?
2. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
3. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
4. When the men are on leave, it is evident that Blaire changed in what way?
5. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)