Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How much weight they carry in total.
(b) How likely they are to survive.
(c) How many miles they marched.
(d) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
2. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
(a) To find a German rifle.
(b) Because he is drunk.
(c) Because he wants to die.
(d) To search for his brother.
3. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) His identity papers.
(b) A flask of brandy.
(c) His medals.
(d) A photo of his wife.
4. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
(a) She is brought into a depot, dead.
(b) He finds her unburied, in a grave.
(c) He sees her body being carried on a stretcher.
(d) Her body is exhumed by the digging.
5. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are ugly, but effective.
(b) They are ugly and of low quality.
(c) They are useless, but look good.
(d) They are plain and lack elegance.
6. What does Volpatte repeat as he charges into the machine gun fire?
(b) "Let's go."
(c) "Don't worry."
(d) "Hurry up."
7. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(b) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
(c) Germans running in terror from the French.
(d) A German terrorizing a French woman.
8. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They may all be dead in eight days.
(b) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(c) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(d) They will all become civilians again later.
9. What is unique about the 5th battalion?
(a) They are optimistic.
(b) They are lucky and avoided most fights.
(c) They are new recruits.
(d) They are bloodthirsty and love close-combat.
10. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
11. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They describe the situation honestly.
(b) They embellish its hardships.
(c) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(d) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
12. What does a sapper do?
(a) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(b) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(c) Locates enemy units.
(d) Lays and removes mines.
13. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench built in no-man's land.
(b) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
(c) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(d) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
14. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They think he is crazy.
(b) They resent his status.
(c) They are jealous of his charmed life.
(d) They all look up to him.
15. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He is escorted back by military police.
(b) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
(c) He slinks in, totally depressed.
(d) He wanders back, as if by accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
2. How is the Marist brother killed?
3. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
4. What do the men note about the commandant?
5. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)