|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Volpatte say about the state of France?
(a) There are two Frances, and there are too many on the happy side.
(b) It can never be defeated.
(c) It is bound to fall apart.
(d) It has not changed since the revolution, and will never change.
2. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(b) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(d) Photographs of family and friends.
3. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To talk with him.
(b) For guard duty.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To help bury bodies.
4. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They carry only what their officers force them to.
(b) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(c) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(d) They don't seem to care at all.
5. What do the men think of all of the things that the army issues them?
(a) They are useless, but look good.
(b) They are plain and lack elegance.
(c) They are ugly and of low quality.
(d) They are ugly, but effective.
6. How do the narrator and the others find Bertrand's body?
(a) Stretched out like a cross.
(b) Partially severed at the waist.
(c) Grotesquely bloated.
(d) In several pieces.
7. What kind of meat have Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin acquired when Chapter 18 opens?
8. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) It collapses without warning.
(b) By an artillery shell.
(c) The retreating French blow it up.
(d) The Germans set fire to it.
9. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
(c) The Ardennes.
(d) Benthoval Wood.
10. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They embellish its hardships.
(b) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(c) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(d) They describe the situation honestly.
11. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
12. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They resent his status.
(b) They all look up to him.
(c) They think he is crazy.
(d) They are jealous of his charmed life.
13. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) His hometown.
(b) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
(c) A great, unknown light.
(d) The front.
14. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) Barrage fire.
15. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
(b) They have better wages.
(c) They brag of their exploits.
(d) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
3. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
4. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
5. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)