|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
(a) They die of poisoning.
(b) They fight over corpses and kill each other.
(c) They are shot by the soldiers.
(d) They are caught and eaten by hungry soldiers.
2. What was the purpose of the patrol that Lamuse, Barque, Biquet, and Eudore died on?
(a) To clear out an international trench.
(b) To clear an area of mines.
(c) To find a German listening post.
(d) To locate new supplies.
3. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
(b) Groups of spies.
(c) Forward trenches.
(d) Special artillery shells.
4. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
(a) The old woman's daughter returns.
(b) The sun rises.
(c) The regiment's curfew begins.
(d) Muster is called.
5. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
(a) They are the same.
(b) They are both hypocritical.
(c) They are different.
(d) They are pointless.
6. What does a sapper do?
(a) Locates enemy units.
(b) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(c) Lays and removes mines.
(d) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
7. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(c) Red Cross sergeant.
8. In Chapter 15, one squad in the regiment is rumored to have made a meal out of what?
(d) A stray cat.
9. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) They are not allowed to start a fire.
(b) They have no way to light a fire.
(c) There is no cooking equipment.
(d) There is no firewood.
10. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
(a) The Ardennes.
(b) Benthoval Wood.
11. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
(a) They may all be dead in eight days.
(b) They are heroes in the people's eyes.
(c) They are fighting to protect the life people enjoy in the city.
(d) They will all become civilians again later.
12. How is the Marist brother killed?
(a) By an artillery shell.
(b) By an insane patient.
(c) By the gunfire of approaching Germans.
(d) By a sniper.
13. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
(a) He is escorted back by military police.
(b) He wanders back, as if by accident.
(c) He slinks in, totally depressed.
(d) He runs back, yelling hysterically.
14. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) A photo of his wife.
(b) A flask of brandy.
(c) His identity papers.
(d) His medals.
15. What biblical location does the narrator allude to as he carries Joseph to safety?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's opinion about what the characters will say in his book?
2. When the squad's march comes to a halt, there is always a competition for which of the following?
3. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
4. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
5. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)