|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(b) They don't seem to care at all.
(c) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(d) They carry only what their officers force them to.
2. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A poorly butchered animal.
(b) A writhing mess.
(c) A pool of misery.
(d) A screaming tree.
3. The German in the refuge served as which of the following?
(a) An officer.
(b) A sapper.
(c) An aviator.
(d) A sniper.
4. What interests Volpatte the most while the men are on leave?
(c) The theater.
5. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
(a) There is no cooking equipment.
(b) They are not allowed to start a fire.
(c) They have no way to light a fire.
(d) There is no firewood.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why is Paradis worn out?
(a) He has been serving as a liaison.
(b) He is carrying a machine-gun.
(c) He has been digging trenches all day.
(d) He has not eaten all day.
7. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) Germans running in terror from the French.
(b) A German terrorizing a French woman.
(c) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(d) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
8. What irritates the men the most about the shirkers?
(a) They try to act like comrades to real soldiers.
(b) They brag of their exploits.
(c) They have better wages.
(d) They wear their uniforms in the safety of the city.
9. In Chapter 14, the squad learns that they are headed where?
(a) To the south.
(b) To Verdun.
(c) To Paris for leave.
(d) To the front lines.
10. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
(a) They die of poisoning.
(b) They are shot by the soldiers.
(c) They are caught and eaten by hungry soldiers.
(d) They fight over corpses and kill each other.
11. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
(a) He helps her repair a hole in her roof.
(b) He shares his food with her.
(c) He polishes a pair of boots for her.
(d) He gathers firewood for her.
12. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How many miles they marched.
(b) How likely they are to survive.
(c) How much weight they carry in total.
(d) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
13. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
(a) They are pointless.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are different.
(d) They are both hypocritical.
14. How do the men respond when asked to describe life on the front?
(a) They embellish its hardships.
(b) They lie, underplaying its horrors.
(c) They make up heroic stories about themselves.
(d) They describe the situation honestly.
15. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) For guard duty.
(b) To help bury bodies.
(c) To search for a body.
(d) To talk with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the survivors of Bertrand's squad sent for their leave?
2. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
3. What is unusual about the trench that the men hide in?
4. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
5. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)