|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a sapper do?
(a) Builds bridges and fortifications.
(b) Lays and removes mines.
(c) Scouts out the terrain ahead of a unit.
(d) Locates enemy units.
2. What does the German say about the religious services of both sides?
(a) They are different.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are both hypocritical.
(d) They are pointless.
3. What does the Foreign Legionnaire try to give to his comrade?
(a) His medals.
(b) His identity papers.
(c) A flask of brandy.
(d) A photo of his wife.
4. What do the men of the squad think of Volpatte?
(a) They are jealous of his charmed life.
(b) They all look up to him.
(c) They think he is crazy.
(d) They resent his status.
5. How is the refuge destroyed?
(a) The Germans set fire to it.
(b) The retreating French blow it up.
(c) By an artillery shell.
(d) It collapses without warning.
6. What is an international trench?
(a) A trench built by multiple allied nations.
(b) A trench containing troops from different allied nations.
(c) A trench with parts occupied by opposing forces.
(d) A trench built in no-man's land.
7. What does the German demand of God?
(a) That he reveal his true name.
(b) That he stop the shells.
(c) The he spare the men in the refuge their pain.
(d) That he end his life.
8. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
(a) His hometown.
(b) The front.
(c) The chickens in Gauchin-l'Abbé.
(d) A great, unknown light.
9. What injuries has Farfadet sustained when the narrator meets him at the refuge?
(a) He lost both arms.
(b) He lost both legs.
(c) He lost one eye, the other is bandaged.
(d) He suffered burns by chemical gas.
10. What do the men note about the commandant?
(a) He has the accent of a peasant.
(b) He can't smoke a pipe without scorching it.
(c) He is harsh and capricious.
(d) He hates animals.
11. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
(a) A sniper shoots him after he takes out a machine gun.
(b) He is killed in close combat.
(c) One of his grenades explodes early.
(d) He intentionally runs into machine gun fire after the battle is over.
12. While on leave, the men see a poster in a store's window display which depicts which of the following?
(a) A German surrendering to French soldiers.
(b) Germans running in terror from the French.
(c) A German terrorizing a French woman.
(d) French soldiers storming a German fortress.
13. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(a) A rifle.
(c) His helmet.
14. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "treasures."
(b) Their "crutches."
(c) Their "burdens."
(d) Their "souvenirs."
15. The newspaper story says that which of the following was turned up when a civilian's yard was bombed?
(a) German spies.
(b) A treasure chest.
(c) An illegal wine cellar.
(d) An old graveyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
2. Paradis insists that he and the narrator leave the farmhouse before what happens?
3. How does Lamuse find Eudoxie's corpse?
4. The narrator describes the field of corpses being processed as being like which of the following?
5. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)