|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
(a) He was a decorated war hero.
(b) He once assaulted a police officer.
(c) He was once arrested for drunkenness as a civilian.
(d) He served in the foreign legion.
2. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) They are not armed.
(b) They are only exposed to danger once.
(c) There is no activity in Verdun.
(d) They are civilians.
3. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) A refugee.
(b) An actress.
(c) An officer's wife.
(d) A nurse.
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(b) He orders constant drills.
(c) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(d) He orders a morning parade.
5. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(b) The narrator.
6. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A lone tavern.
(b) An old fortress.
(c) An abandoned estate.
(d) A collapsing barn.
7. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
(a) He is well fed.
(b) He doesn't like Fouillade.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He doesn't like the men's food.
8. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The 154th rifles.
(b) The Moroccan Division.
(c) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(d) The 5th and 6th battalions.
9. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
(a) They are eccentric ruffians.
(b) They are timid cowards.
(c) They are simple, normal men.
(d) They are soft-spoken heroes.
10. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Ten million deaths.
(b) Thirty million deaths.
(c) Three million deaths.
(d) One million deaths.
11. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "They are fools."
(b) "You would not believe me."
(c) "It is not worth telling."
(d) "There are too many of them."
12. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's lance corporal.
(b) A stern sergeant.
(c) A renaissance man.
(d) The squad's man of figures.
13. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(c) The minotaur.
(d) The cyclops.
14. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
(a) The army is ignoring them.
(b) The army is unaware of them.
(c) The army is willing to purchase supplies from them.
(d) The army is cracking down on them.
15. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
(a) She rejects him.
(b) She falls in love with him.
(c) She is speechless.
(d) She is frightened, but accepting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
2. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
3. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
4. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
5. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)