|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They help him recover from shell shock.
(b) They tend his wounds.
(c) They aid him in a small raid.
(d) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
2. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Eating good food.
(b) Eating at a table.
(c) Sleeping under a roof.
(d) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
3. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(b) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(c) They know he should not hold his anger in.
(d) They want to know what he's hiding.
4. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
(a) He was awarded a medal.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He recently became a father.
(d) He is being sent to the rear as a typist.
5. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(b) The 5th and 6th battalions.
(c) The Moroccan Division.
(d) The 154th rifles.
6. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
7. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 100 non-combatants.
(b) 20 non-combatants.
(c) 250 non-combatants.
(d) 50 non-combatants.
8. Was does Poterloo discover about his wife?
(a) She is fraternizing with a German officer.
(b) She is pregnant again.
(c) She is dangerously ill.
(d) She is dead.
9. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) It is a smart thing to do.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) They are unavoidable.
10. In Chapter 11, a general schedules a curfew for what period of time everyday?
(a) While he is in town.
(b) While he is at church.
(c) From noon to sunset.
(d) While he is sleeping.
11. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
(a) Creating a large dirt pallisade.
(b) Patrolling a forested area.
(c) Rebuilding a road.
(d) Digging a deep trench.
12. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
(a) They are in high spirits.
(b) They have everything they need.
(c) They are well rested and ready to fight.
(d) They are living in poor conditions.
13. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In Greece.
(b) In Paris.
(c) On the French-German border.
(d) In the Alps.
14. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "There are too many of them."
(b) "It is not worth telling."
(c) "They are fools."
(d) "You would not believe me."
15. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is wrapped in bloody bandages.
(c) He is insane.
(d) He is violently ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
2. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
3. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
4. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
5. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)