|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
2. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) One day.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three months.
3. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) Young men.
(d) The old and weak.
4. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) A refugee.
(b) A nurse.
(c) An officer's wife.
(d) An actress.
5. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(b) Inmates in a prison.
(c) Invalids in a sanatorium.
(d) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
6. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In the Alps.
(b) On the French-German border.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In Paris.
7. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(a) Playing cards.
(d) Telling anecdotes.
8. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(b) They will be placed on leave.
(c) An offensive will soon begin.
(d) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
9. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
10. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(a) The minotaur.
(b) The cyclops.
11. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
(a) He served in the foreign legion.
(b) He was a decorated war hero.
(c) He was once arrested for drunkenness as a civilian.
(d) He once assaulted a police officer.
12. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
(a) She is speechless.
(b) She falls in love with him.
(c) She rejects him.
(d) She is frightened, but accepting.
13. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders a morning parade.
(b) He orders constant drills.
(c) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(d) He orders pointless maneuvers.
14. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
(a) A thug.
(b) An actor.
(c) A joker.
(d) A card-sharp.
15. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(d) High command visiting the trenches.
Short Answer Questions
1. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
2. What is Labri?
3. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
4. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
5. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)