Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) They surprise the soldiers at night.
(b) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
(c) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(d) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
2. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
(a) A stack of letters for him.
(b) A picture of her.
(c) A box of cigars.
(d) Ham, bread, and wine.
3. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They help him recover from shell shock.
(b) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
(c) They aid him in a small raid.
(d) They tend his wounds.
4. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three months.
5. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
6. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
7. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A victory is impossible.
(b) A swift victory is expected.
(c) The war is being lost.
(d) Slow progress is made.
8. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is crude and vulgar.
(b) He is an enlisted man.
(c) He is war-mucky.
(d) He is exceptionally rude to them.
9. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To man a sentry post.
(c) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(d) To carry ammunition to the front.
10. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(a) Telling anecdotes.
(b) Playing cards.
11. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) Inmates in a prison.
(b) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
(d) Invalids in a sanatorium.
12. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) The 204th stumbles across them.
(b) They sing loudly.
(c) They use a signaling mirror.
(d) They send up a flare.
13. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "You would not believe me."
(b) "There are too many of them."
(c) "It is not worth telling."
(d) "They are fools."
14. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A collapsing barn.
(b) An abandoned estate.
(c) A lone tavern.
(d) An old fortress.
15. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The Moroccan Division.
(b) The 154th rifles.
(c) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(d) The 5th and 6th battalions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tirloir's nickname?
2. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
3. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
4. How is Farfadet "saved"?
5. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)