|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Territorials" are noted for what unusual quality?
(a) They are old men.
(b) They are foreigners.
(c) They are former criminals.
(d) They are too young for regular duty.
2. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
3. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) A renaissance man.
(b) The squad's man of figures.
(c) The squad's lance corporal.
(d) A stern sergeant.
4. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) They send up a flare.
(b) The 204th stumbles across them.
(c) They sing loudly.
(d) They use a signaling mirror.
5. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
(a) He was caught stealing from an officer.
(b) He was trying to avoid going back to the front.
(c) He fled from the enemy.
(d) He killed a civilian.
6. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) An officer's wife.
(b) A nurse.
(c) An actress.
(d) A refugee.
7. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
8. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(a) Hundreds of thousands.
(b) More than there are men on the front.
9. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) Young men.
(b) The old and weak.
10. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
(a) A bad omen.
(b) The joy of a brief life.
(c) The pointlessness of struggle.
(d) Something that reminds him of home.
11. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
(a) Creating a large dirt pallisade.
(b) Patrolling a forested area.
(c) Rebuilding a road.
(d) Digging a deep trench.
12. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To carry ammunition to the front.
(c) To man a sentry post.
(d) To escort the wounded to the rear.
13. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They choose where they fight.
(b) They have a charismatic leader.
(c) They are ferocious fighters.
(d) They are popular in the media.
14. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The foolish intellectual.
(b) The bloodthirsty coward.
(c) The heroic loafer.
(d) The quiet comedian.
15. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
(a) An actor.
(b) A card-sharp.
(c) A thug.
(d) A joker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
2. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
3. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
4. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
5. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)