|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) A nurse.
(b) An officer's wife.
(c) An actress.
(d) A refugee.
2. When Cpl. Marchal and the narrator meet, they discuss which of the following happening to their mutual friends?
(a) Death by bombardment.
(b) Honorable discharge.
(d) Death by nerve gas.
3. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) The 204th stumbles across them.
(b) They sing loudly.
(c) They send up a flare.
(d) They use a signaling mirror.
4. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) They are not armed.
(b) They are only exposed to danger once.
(c) They are civilians.
(d) There is no activity in Verdun.
5. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) The war is being lost.
(b) Slow progress is made.
(c) A victory is impossible.
(d) A swift victory is expected.
6. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(b) They had no criminal record.
(c) They gave themselves up peacefully.
(d) They had wealthy families.
7. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
8. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
(a) He killed a civilian.
(b) He was trying to avoid going back to the front.
(c) He fled from the enemy.
(d) He was caught stealing from an officer.
9. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) Young men.
(c) The old and weak.
10. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
11. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He doesn't like Fouillade.
(c) He is well fed.
(d) He doesn't like the men's food.
12. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are civilian-grade.
(b) They are camouflaged.
(c) They are painted flat black.
(d) They are modern.
13. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To Egypt.
(b) To the Ardennes.
(c) To the front.
(d) To the reserves area.
14. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) It is a smart thing to do.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) They are unavoidable.
15. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(b) Alleux Wood.
(c) The Ardennes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
2. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
3. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
4. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
5. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)