|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
2. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
3. What is Labri?
(a) A goat.
(b) A cat.
(c) A thieving racoon.
(d) A sheep dog.
4. Cpl. Marchal has what relationship to the narrator?
(a) He saved the narrator's life.
(b) He is an old friend of the narrator's.
(c) He is the narrator's commanding officer.
(d) He serves under the narrator.
5. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) At a tavern in town.
(b) On the radio.
(c) In an officer's social hall.
(d) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
6. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
(a) Charge into an enemy trench.
(b) Encounter a tank.
(c) Experience poison gas.
(d) Face machine gun fire.
7. Barque is described as being which of the following?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A trickster.
(c) A leader.
(d) A sage.
8. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is exceptionally rude to them.
(b) He is crude and vulgar.
(c) He is war-mucky.
(d) He is an enlisted man.
9. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
10. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
(a) The men disagree with him about the war.
(b) One of the men tries to cheat him.
(c) The men make fun of his advanced age.
(d) The men find his philosophy amusing.
11. Where is Fouillade from?
(a) The Mediterranean.
(d) Alsace Lorraine.
12. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Thirty million deaths.
(b) Ten million deaths.
(c) One million deaths.
(d) Three million deaths.
13. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(b) They will never be practical.
(c) They will become deadly weapons.
(d) They are dangerous to everyone.
14. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A large camp.
(b) An aid station.
(c) A railway platform.
(d) A motor pool.
15. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
(a) 104 corps.
(b) 39 corps.
(c) 4 corps.
(d) 12 corps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
2. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
3. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
4. How is Farfadet "saved"?
5. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)