|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A small school.
(c) A café.
(d) An inn.
2. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
(a) A bad omen.
(b) Something that reminds him of home.
(c) The pointlessness of struggle.
(d) The joy of a brief life.
3. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) They are unavoidable.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) It is a smart thing to do.
4. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) The old and weak.
(c) Young men.
5. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To carry ammunition to the front.
(c) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(d) To man a sentry post.
6. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "You would not believe me."
(b) "There are too many of them."
(c) "They are fools."
(d) "It is not worth telling."
7. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
(a) Face machine gun fire.
(b) Encounter a tank.
(c) Experience poison gas.
(d) Charge into an enemy trench.
8. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(b) They will be placed on leave.
(c) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
(d) An offensive will soon begin.
9. Barque is described as being which of the following?
(a) A sage.
(b) A rebel.
(c) A trickster.
(d) A leader.
10. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
(a) An extension of their leave.
(b) That they will be sent into real combat.
(c) A round of wine.
(d) An issue of cigarettes.
11. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They are popular in the media.
(b) They choose where they fight.
(c) They have a charismatic leader.
(d) They are ferocious fighters.
12. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
13. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Brass tacks.
(b) Old boots.
(c) Lock and stock.
(d) The grumbler.
14. What is Biquet's response to his mother's concern for him as expressed in her letter?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is totally unphased.
(d) He immediately writes back to console her.
15. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
(a) They cannot wash the battlefields clean.
(b) They would be choked by the wounded men who are dying.
(c) Only they could cleanse the depots.
(d) They will all run red with blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
2. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
3. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
4. Where is Fouillade from?
5. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)