|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's lance corporal.
(b) A stern sergeant.
(c) The squad's man of figures.
(d) A renaissance man.
2. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
(a) Encounter a tank.
(b) Charge into an enemy trench.
(c) Face machine gun fire.
(d) Experience poison gas.
3. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
4. What is Labri?
(a) A goat.
(b) A sheep dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A thieving racoon.
5. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) An old fortress.
(b) An abandoned estate.
(c) A collapsing barn.
(d) A lone tavern.
6. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) They will be placed on leave.
(b) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(c) An offensive will soon begin.
(d) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
7. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "You would not believe me."
(b) "There are too many of them."
(c) "They are fools."
(d) "It is not worth telling."
8. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
(a) The men find his philosophy amusing.
(b) One of the men tries to cheat him.
(c) The men disagree with him about the war.
(d) The men make fun of his advanced age.
9. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) Invalids in a sanatorium.
(b) Inmates in a prison.
(d) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
10. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They had wealthy families.
(b) They gave themselves up peacefully.
(c) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(d) They had no criminal record.
11. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) Two months.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
12. Was does Poterloo discover about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant again.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is dangerously ill.
(d) She is fraternizing with a German officer.
13. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They have a charismatic leader.
(b) They are popular in the media.
(c) They are ferocious fighters.
(d) They choose where they fight.
14. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) Young men.
(b) The old and weak.
15. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 15 months.
(b) One year.
(c) 22 days.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
2. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
3. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
4. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
5. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)