|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
(a) He talks about his hometown.
(b) He showers in the rain.
(c) He reads a newspaper.
(d) He drinks alone.
2. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
(a) An extension of their leave.
(b) An issue of cigarettes.
(c) A round of wine.
(d) That they will be sent into real combat.
3. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
(a) He killed a civilian.
(b) He fled from the enemy.
(c) He was trying to avoid going back to the front.
(d) He was caught stealing from an officer.
4. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A large camp.
(b) An aid station.
(c) A motor pool.
(d) A railway platform.
5. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) An abandoned estate.
(b) An old fortress.
(c) A lone tavern.
(d) A collapsing barn.
6. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) They send up a flare.
(b) The 204th stumbles across them.
(c) They sing loudly.
(d) They use a signaling mirror.
7. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(c) The minotaur.
(d) The cyclops.
8. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A church.
(b) A village.
(c) A university.
(d) A monastery.
9. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He was awarded a medal.
(c) He recently became a father.
(d) He is being sent to the rear as a typist.
10. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 100 non-combatants.
(b) 50 non-combatants.
(c) 20 non-combatants.
(d) 250 non-combatants.
11. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The Moroccan Division.
(b) The 154th rifles.
(c) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(d) The 5th and 6th battalions.
12. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) A café.
(b) A small school.
(c) An inn.
(d) A saloon.
13. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
(a) A stack of letters for him.
(b) A box of cigars.
(c) Ham, bread, and wine.
(d) A picture of her.
14. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They had no criminal record.
(b) They had wealthy families.
(c) They gave themselves up peacefully.
(d) They were volunteers, not draftees.
15. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(a) The Ardennes.
(c) Alleux Wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
2. What do the narrator and Poterloo do with the three Germans they come across while on their way to Sauchez?
3. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
4. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
5. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)