|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
(a) The English enlisted men.
(b) The civilians.
(c) The police.
(d) The medical staff.
2. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The bloodthirsty coward.
(b) The foolish intellectual.
(c) The heroic loafer.
(d) The quiet comedian.
3. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
4. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's lance corporal.
(b) The squad's man of figures.
(c) A renaissance man.
(d) A stern sergeant.
5. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
(a) An issue of cigarettes.
(b) An extension of their leave.
(c) That they will be sent into real combat.
(d) A round of wine.
6. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A lone tavern.
(b) A collapsing barn.
(c) An old fortress.
(d) An abandoned estate.
7. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 22 days.
(b) One year.
(c) 15 months.
(d) Three years.
8. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(a) Telling anecdotes.
(c) Playing cards.
9. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
(a) The men find his philosophy amusing.
(b) The men make fun of his advanced age.
(c) The men disagree with him about the war.
(d) One of the men tries to cheat him.
10. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A university.
(c) A church.
(d) A village.
11. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(c) The narrator.
12. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) One month.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
13. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
(a) They have everything they need.
(b) They are in high spirits.
(c) They are well rested and ready to fight.
(d) They are living in poor conditions.
14. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
(a) He is violently ill.
(b) He is wrapped in bloody bandages.
(c) He is insane.
(d) He is dead.
15. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
2. Barque is described as being which of the following?
3. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
4. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
5. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)