|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(b) They had wealthy families.
(c) They had no criminal record.
(d) They gave themselves up peacefully.
2. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
(a) The joy of a brief life.
(b) A bad omen.
(c) The pointlessness of struggle.
(d) Something that reminds him of home.
3. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They have a charismatic leader.
(b) They are ferocious fighters.
(c) They are popular in the media.
(d) They choose where they fight.
4. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) They surprise the soldiers at night.
(b) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(c) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
(d) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
5. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) They use a signaling mirror.
(b) They sing loudly.
(c) They send up a flare.
(d) The 204th stumbles across them.
6. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They know he should not hold his anger in.
(b) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(c) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(d) They want to know what he's hiding.
7. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A village.
(b) A university.
(c) A church.
(d) A monastery.
8. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) An inn.
(b) A café.
(c) A small school.
(d) A saloon.
9. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will become deadly weapons.
(b) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(c) They will never be practical.
(d) They are dangerous to everyone.
10. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
(a) They will all run red with blood.
(b) Only they could cleanse the depots.
(c) They cannot wash the battlefields clean.
(d) They would be choked by the wounded men who are dying.
11. Was does Poterloo discover about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant again.
(b) She is fraternizing with a German officer.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is dangerously ill.
12. The "Territorials" are noted for what unusual quality?
(a) They are former criminals.
(b) They are foreigners.
(c) They are too young for regular duty.
(d) They are old men.
13. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(a) The minotaur.
(b) The cyclops.
14. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
15. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(c) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
3. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
4. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
5. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)