|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A large camp.
(b) A motor pool.
(c) A railway platform.
(d) An aid station.
2. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A church.
(b) A village.
(c) A university.
(d) A monastery.
3. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Lock and stock.
(b) Brass tacks.
(c) Old boots.
(d) The grumbler.
4. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
(a) That they will be sent into real combat.
(b) A round of wine.
(c) An issue of cigarettes.
(d) An extension of their leave.
5. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In the Alps.
(b) In Greece.
(c) On the French-German border.
(d) In Paris.
6. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will never be practical.
(b) They will become deadly weapons.
(c) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(d) They are dangerous to everyone.
7. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are modern.
(b) They are civilian-grade.
(c) They are camouflaged.
(d) They are painted flat black.
8. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
(a) They are captured, but manage to escape.
(b) They are separated during an attack.
(c) They are reassigned and then forgotten.
(d) They get drunk and wander off.
9. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) They use a signaling mirror.
(b) The 204th stumbles across them.
(c) They sing loudly.
(d) They send up a flare.
10. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(c) The Ardennes.
(d) Alleux Wood.
11. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
(a) A box of cigars.
(b) Ham, bread, and wine.
(c) A stack of letters for him.
(d) A picture of her.
12. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
(a) They are eccentric ruffians.
(b) They are simple, normal men.
(c) They are timid cowards.
(d) They are soft-spoken heroes.
13. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Seven corps.
(b) Four corps.
(c) Ten corps.
(d) Two corps.
14. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) An officer's wife.
(b) An actress.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A refugee.
15. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
(a) Death lasts a long time.
(b) Everyone died eventually.
(c) One is more likely than the other.
(d) Staying alive feels better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
3. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
4. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
5. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)