|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
(a) Creating a large dirt pallisade.
(b) Patrolling a forested area.
(c) Digging a deep trench.
(d) Rebuilding a road.
2. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To man a sentry post.
(b) To build emergency earthworks.
(c) To carry ammunition to the front.
(d) To escort the wounded to the rear.
3. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
(a) They are well rested and ready to fight.
(b) They are in high spirits.
(c) They are living in poor conditions.
(d) They have everything they need.
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders constant drills.
(b) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(c) He orders a morning parade.
(d) He orders the men to dig trenches.
5. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
6. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(a) Hundreds of thousands.
(b) More than there are men on the front.
7. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
8. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Telling anecdotes.
9. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
(a) He showers in the rain.
(b) He reads a newspaper.
(c) He talks about his hometown.
(d) He drinks alone.
10. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
11. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) An aid station.
(b) A railway platform.
(c) A motor pool.
(d) A large camp.
12. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
(a) The army is willing to purchase supplies from them.
(b) The army is cracking down on them.
(c) The army is unaware of them.
(d) The army is ignoring them.
13. What is Labri?
(a) A sheep dog.
(b) A thieving racoon.
(c) A cat.
(d) A goat.
14. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
(a) They are friendly.
(b) They cook poorly.
(c) They are ugly.
(d) They are prudish.
15. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To Egypt.
(b) To the reserves area.
(c) To the Ardennes.
(d) To the front.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
2. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
3. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
4. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
5. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)