|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To Egypt.
(b) To the front.
(c) To the Ardennes.
(d) To the reserves area.
2. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) Slow progress is made.
(b) A victory is impossible.
(c) The war is being lost.
(d) A swift victory is expected.
3. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A medical squad.
(b) An engineering squad.
(c) A front-line squad.
(d) A reserve squad.
4. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
(a) 39 corps.
(b) 104 corps.
(c) 12 corps.
(d) 4 corps.
5. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
(a) The squad's man of figures.
(b) A stern sergeant.
(c) A renaissance man.
(d) The squad's lance corporal.
6. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
(a) It has been leveled by artillery.
(b) The road washed out.
(c) It is a war-zone.
(d) It turned into an army depot.
7. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
8. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) There is no activity in Verdun.
(b) They are only exposed to danger once.
(c) They are civilians.
(d) They are not armed.
9. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
(a) She falls in love with him.
(b) She is frightened, but accepting.
(c) She rejects him.
(d) She is speechless.
10. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) The grumbler.
(b) Old boots.
(c) Brass tacks.
(d) Lock and stock.
11. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(b) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
(c) Inmates in a prison.
(d) Invalids in a sanatorium.
12. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(a) Telling anecdotes.
(b) Playing cards.
13. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
(a) The men make fun of his advanced age.
(b) The men disagree with him about the war.
(c) One of the men tries to cheat him.
(d) The men find his philosophy amusing.
14. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) One day.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Five days.
15. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
(a) He talks about his hometown.
(b) He reads a newspaper.
(c) He showers in the rain.
(d) He drinks alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
2. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
3. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
4. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
5. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)