|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They are dangerous to everyone.
(b) They will become deadly weapons.
(c) They will never be practical.
(d) They are unspeakably beautiful.
2. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 15 months.
(b) 22 days.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
3. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(b) The 5th and 6th battalions.
(c) The 154th rifles.
(d) The Moroccan Division.
4. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten days.
5. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are camouflaged.
(b) They are civilian-grade.
(c) They are painted flat black.
(d) They are modern.
6. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A motor pool.
(b) A railway platform.
(c) A large camp.
(d) An aid station.
7. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
(b) They aid him in a small raid.
(c) They help him recover from shell shock.
(d) They tend his wounds.
8. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
(a) The English enlisted men.
(b) The civilians.
(c) The police.
(d) The medical staff.
9. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is an enlisted man.
(b) He is crude and vulgar.
(c) He is exceptionally rude to them.
(d) He is war-mucky.
10. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To the Ardennes.
(b) To the front.
(c) To Egypt.
(d) To the reserves area.
11. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
(a) He was trying to avoid going back to the front.
(b) He was caught stealing from an officer.
(c) He fled from the enemy.
(d) He killed a civilian.
12. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A front-line squad.
(b) A medical squad.
(c) A reserve squad.
(d) An engineering squad.
13. What is Labri?
(a) A sheep dog.
(b) A goat.
(c) A thieving racoon.
(d) A cat.
14. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A collapsing barn.
(b) An old fortress.
(c) A lone tavern.
(d) An abandoned estate.
15. According to the men, what is the attitude of the army towards plundering civilians?
(a) The army is ignoring them.
(b) The army is cracking down on them.
(c) The army is unaware of them.
(d) The army is willing to purchase supplies from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
2. What is Tirloir's nickname?
3. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
4. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
5. Barque is described as being which of the following?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)