|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Labri?
(a) A cat.
(b) A goat.
(c) A thieving racoon.
(d) A sheep dog.
2. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
(b) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(c) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
(d) They surprise the soldiers at night.
3. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are camouflaged.
(b) They are civilian-grade.
(c) They are painted flat black.
(d) They are modern.
4. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) An inn.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A small school.
(d) A café.
5. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
(a) It is slick with blood.
(b) It is lined with corpses.
(c) It has been destroyed by artillery fire.
(d) It is burning in places.
6. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) On the French-German border.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In the Alps.
7. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A church.
(b) A university.
(c) A village.
(d) A monastery.
8. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(b) Alleux Wood.
(c) The Ardennes.
9. The soldier being carried by the Territorial stretcher-bearers was killed doing what?
(a) Returning to his unit.
(b) Looking for a souvenir German rifle.
(c) Trying to defect.
(d) Foraging for food.
10. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(a) The narrator.
11. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
12. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Telling anecdotes.
13. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 20 non-combatants.
(b) 50 non-combatants.
(c) 100 non-combatants.
(d) 250 non-combatants.
14. Was does Poterloo discover about his wife?
(a) She is pregnant again.
(b) She is fraternizing with a German officer.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is dangerously ill.
15. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(c) The cyclops.
(d) The minotaur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
2. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
3. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
4. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
5. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)