|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(c) The narrator.
2. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Lock and stock.
(b) The grumbler.
(c) Brass tacks.
(d) Old boots.
3. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To the front.
(b) To Egypt.
(c) To the Ardennes.
(d) To the reserves area.
4. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Eating good food.
(b) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
(c) Eating at a table.
(d) Sleeping under a roof.
5. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A collapsing barn.
(b) A lone tavern.
(c) An old fortress.
(d) An abandoned estate.
6. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They are dangerous to everyone.
(b) They will become deadly weapons.
(c) They will never be practical.
(d) They are unspeakably beautiful.
7. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They had no criminal record.
(b) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(c) They gave themselves up peacefully.
(d) They had wealthy families.
8. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They want to know what he's hiding.
(b) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(c) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(d) They know he should not hold his anger in.
9. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(c) The old and weak.
(d) Young men.
10. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
(a) They are prudish.
(b) They are friendly.
(c) They are ugly.
(d) They cook poorly.
11. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) 22 days.
(d) 15 months.
12. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are unavoidable.
(b) It is a smart thing to do.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) They are necessary.
13. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 50 non-combatants.
(b) 100 non-combatants.
(c) 20 non-combatants.
(d) 250 non-combatants.
14. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) An engineering squad.
(b) A medical squad.
(c) A reserve squad.
(d) A front-line squad.
15. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the squad's duty at night?
2. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
3. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
4. Barque is described as being which of the following?
5. In Chapter 11, a general schedules a curfew for what period of time everyday?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)