|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, a general schedules a curfew for what period of time everyday?
(a) While he is in town.
(b) While he is sleeping.
(c) From noon to sunset.
(d) While he is at church.
2. Cpl. Marchal has what relationship to the narrator?
(a) He is the narrator's commanding officer.
(b) He is an old friend of the narrator's.
(c) He saved the narrator's life.
(d) He serves under the narrator.
3. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(c) To man a sentry post.
(d) To carry ammunition to the front.
4. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(b) The minotaur.
(d) The cyclops.
5. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
(a) They are ugly.
(b) They are prudish.
(c) They cook poorly.
(d) They are friendly.
6. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They are popular in the media.
(b) They choose where they fight.
(c) They are ferocious fighters.
(d) They have a charismatic leader.
7. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
(a) They are separated during an attack.
(b) They get drunk and wander off.
(c) They are captured, but manage to escape.
(d) They are reassigned and then forgotten.
8. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
(a) He is safe in the south.
(b) He received orders to deploy for combat.
(c) He has just been promoted.
(d) He is getting married soon.
9. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In the Alps.
(d) On the French-German border.
10. Why does Labri refuse to eat?
(a) He doesn't like the men's food.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He is well fed.
(d) He doesn't like Fouillade.
11. Which soldier besides Lamuse believes the Eudoxie is infatuated with him?
12. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Two corps.
(b) Seven corps.
(c) Four corps.
(d) Ten corps.
13. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
14. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A large camp.
(b) A railway platform.
(c) An aid station.
(d) A motor pool.
15. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 22 days.
(b) 15 months.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
2. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
3. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
4. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
5. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)