|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(c) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(d) High command visiting the trenches.
2. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
(a) He is stalking her.
(b) He is gathering flowers for her.
(c) He is arguing with her.
(d) He is carrying her things.
3. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A front-line squad.
(b) An engineering squad.
(c) A reserve squad.
(d) A medical squad.
4. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders constant drills.
(b) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(c) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(d) He orders a morning parade.
5. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) To the Ardennes.
(b) To the reserves area.
(c) To the front.
(d) To Egypt.
6. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
(a) They will all run red with blood.
(b) They cannot wash the battlefields clean.
(c) Only they could cleanse the depots.
(d) They would be choked by the wounded men who are dying.
7. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A village.
(b) A church.
(c) A university.
(d) A monastery.
8. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) A lone tavern.
(b) An abandoned estate.
(c) A collapsing barn.
(d) An old fortress.
9. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Lock and stock.
(b) The grumbler.
(c) Old boots.
(d) Brass tacks.
10. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
(a) A box of cigars.
(b) Ham, bread, and wine.
(c) A stack of letters for him.
(d) A picture of her.
11. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Eating good food.
(b) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
(c) Sleeping under a roof.
(d) Eating at a table.
12. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Thirty million deaths.
(b) Three million deaths.
(c) One million deaths.
(d) Ten million deaths.
13. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) Shirking is human nature.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) It is a smart thing to do.
(d) They are unavoidable.
14. What is Lamuse's opinion of aircraft?
(a) They will never be practical.
(b) They will become deadly weapons.
(c) They are unspeakably beautiful.
(d) They are dangerous to everyone.
15. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
(a) He is getting married soon.
(b) He is safe in the south.
(c) He received orders to deploy for combat.
(d) He has just been promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pépère envied by the other men?
2. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
3. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
4. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
5. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)