|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
(a) They are in high spirits.
(b) They are well rested and ready to fight.
(c) They have everything they need.
(d) They are living in poor conditions.
2. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 250 non-combatants.
(b) 20 non-combatants.
(c) 100 non-combatants.
(d) 50 non-combatants.
3. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A church.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A village.
(d) A university.
4. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Brass tacks.
(b) Old boots.
(c) The grumbler.
(d) Lock and stock.
5. Where is Fouillade from?
(a) Alsace Lorraine.
(b) The Mediterranean.
6. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To man a sentry post.
(c) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(d) To carry ammunition to the front.
7. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Four corps.
(b) Ten corps.
(c) Seven corps.
(d) Two corps.
8. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
(b) In an officer's social hall.
(c) At a tavern in town.
(d) On the radio.
9. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) An aid station.
(b) A railway platform.
(c) A motor pool.
(d) A large camp.
10. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
(a) He knows it will be destroyed by artillery.
(b) He admires it's fine construction.
(c) He thinks it was poorly designed.
(d) He thinks it is worthless.
11. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(c) The narrator.
12. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(b) More than there are men on the front.
(c) Hundreds of thousands.
13. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(b) High command visiting the trenches.
(c) Soldiers on a short deployment.
14. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
(a) She is following him.
(b) She is a spy.
(c) She is hopelessly in love with him.
(d) She can actually speak and understand French.
15. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
(a) She rejects him.
(b) She falls in love with him.
(c) She is speechless.
(d) She is frightened, but accepting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and Poterloo do with the three Germans they come across while on their way to Sauchez?
2. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
3. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
4. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
5. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)