|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) It is a smart thing to do.
(c) They are unavoidable.
(d) Shirking is human nature.
2. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
3. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Ten corps.
(b) Four corps.
(c) Two corps.
(d) Seven corps.
4. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(b) The old and weak.
(d) Young men.
5. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
(a) He is arguing with her.
(b) He is gathering flowers for her.
(c) He is carrying her things.
(d) He is stalking her.
6. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
(a) She can actually speak and understand French.
(b) She is following him.
(c) She is a spy.
(d) She is hopelessly in love with him.
7. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) They are civilians.
(b) They are only exposed to danger once.
(c) They are not armed.
(d) There is no activity in Verdun.
8. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The 154th rifles.
(b) The 5th and 6th battalions.
(c) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
(d) The Moroccan Division.
9. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(a) The minotaur.
(d) The cyclops.
10. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
(a) They are eccentric ruffians.
(b) They are simple, normal men.
(c) They are soft-spoken heroes.
(d) They are timid cowards.
11. What is Labri?
(a) A thieving racoon.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cat.
(d) A sheep dog.
12. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
(a) "It is not worth telling."
(b) "They are fools."
(c) "You would not believe me."
(d) "There are too many of them."
13. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A village.
(b) A university.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A church.
14. What is Biquet's response to his mother's concern for him as expressed in her letter?
(a) He is totally unphased.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He immediately writes back to console her.
(d) He is amused.
15. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
(a) An abandoned estate.
(b) A lone tavern.
(c) An old fortress.
(d) A collapsing barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
2. What does Fouillade do during the rainstorm?
3. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
4. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
5. How is Farfadet "saved"?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)