Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The bloodthirsty coward.
(b) The quiet comedian.
(c) The foolish intellectual.
(d) The heroic loafer.
2. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
(a) A motor pool.
(b) A large camp.
(c) An aid station.
(d) A railway platform.
3. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They had no criminal record.
(b) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(c) They had wealthy families.
(d) They gave themselves up peacefully.
4. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A university.
(b) A church.
(c) A village.
(d) A monastery.
5. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(c) High command visiting the trenches.
6. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
(a) The road washed out.
(b) It has been leveled by artillery.
(c) It turned into an army depot.
(d) It is a war-zone.
7. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) One month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ten days.
8. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
(a) He was a decorated war hero.
(b) He was once arrested for drunkenness as a civilian.
(c) He served in the foreign legion.
(d) He once assaulted a police officer.
9. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They want to know what he's hiding.
(b) They know he should not hold his anger in.
(c) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(d) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
10. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
(b) In an officer's social hall.
(c) On the radio.
(d) At a tavern in town.
11. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A victory is impossible.
(b) A swift victory is expected.
(c) The war is being lost.
(d) Slow progress is made.
12. When the narrator and the other encounter Eudoxie, what is Lamuse doing?
(a) He is carrying her things.
(b) He is arguing with her.
(c) He is stalking her.
(d) He is gathering flowers for her.
13. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
(a) Something that reminds him of home.
(b) A bad omen.
(c) The joy of a brief life.
(d) The pointlessness of struggle.
14. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 15 months.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) 22 days.
15. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(b) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a structure does the squad occupy during the violent rainstorm in Chapter 11?
2. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
3. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
4. Where is the squad dispatched at the end of Chapter 2?
5. The soldier being carried by the Territorial stretcher-bearers was killed doing what?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)