|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A victory is impossible.
(b) A swift victory is expected.
(c) Slow progress is made.
(d) The war is being lost.
2. Where does the narrator meet with Cpl. Marchal?
(b) Alleux Wood.
(d) The Ardennes.
3. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A village.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A church.
(d) A university.
4. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Four corps.
(b) Ten corps.
(c) Seven corps.
(d) Two corps.
5. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(b) The narrator.
6. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
(a) They are reassigned and then forgotten.
(b) They get drunk and wander off.
(c) They are captured, but manage to escape.
(d) They are separated during an attack.
7. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The foolish intellectual.
(b) The bloodthirsty coward.
(c) The quiet comedian.
(d) The heroic loafer.
8. Where is Fouillade from?
(a) Alsace Lorraine.
(d) The Mediterranean.
9. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) A café.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A small school.
(d) An inn.
10. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
(a) She is following him.
(b) She is hopelessly in love with him.
(c) She is a spy.
(d) She can actually speak and understand French.
11. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) The grumbler.
(b) Lock and stock.
(c) Brass tacks.
(d) Old boots.
12. The "Territorials" are noted for what unusual quality?
(a) They are old men.
(b) They are too young for regular duty.
(c) They are former criminals.
(d) They are foreigners.
13. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(b) Hundreds of thousands.
(d) More than there are men on the front.
14. What do the narrator and Poterloo do with the three Germans they come across while on their way to Sauchez?
(a) They take them prisoner.
(b) They let them bury their dead.
(c) They let them go.
(d) They kill them on the spot.
15. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is crude and vulgar.
(b) He is an enlisted man.
(c) He is war-mucky.
(d) He is exceptionally rude to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
2. What is the squad's duty at night?
3. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
4. What is Biquet's response to his mother's concern for him as expressed in her letter?
5. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)