|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, a general schedules a curfew for what period of time everyday?
(a) While he is at church.
(b) While he is sleeping.
(c) From noon to sunset.
(d) While he is in town.
2. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(b) To carry ammunition to the front.
(c) To build emergency earthworks.
(d) To man a sentry post.
3. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
(a) They choose where they fight.
(b) They have a charismatic leader.
(c) They are ferocious fighters.
(d) They are popular in the media.
4. What does Lamuse believe about Eudoxie?
(a) She is following him.
(b) She is hopelessly in love with him.
(c) She can actually speak and understand French.
(d) She is a spy.
5. Pépin states that engages should not boast of having served unless they do which of the following?
(a) Experience poison gas.
(b) Encounter a tank.
(c) Face machine gun fire.
(d) Charge into an enemy trench.
6. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
(a) 50 non-combatants.
(b) 100 non-combatants.
(c) 250 non-combatants.
(d) 20 non-combatants.
7. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
(a) The cyclops.
(d) The minotaur.
8. Cpl. Marchal has what relationship to the narrator?
(a) He is the narrator's commanding officer.
(b) He saved the narrator's life.
(c) He is an old friend of the narrator's.
(d) He serves under the narrator.
9. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
(a) 4 corps.
(b) 39 corps.
(c) 12 corps.
(d) 104 corps.
10. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
(a) It has been destroyed by artillery fire.
(b) It is slick with blood.
(c) It is burning in places.
(d) It is lined with corpses.
11. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two months.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
12. The "Territorials" are noted for what unusual quality?
(a) They are former criminals.
(b) They are too young for regular duty.
(c) They are foreigners.
(d) They are old men.
13. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are unavoidable.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) It is a smart thing to do.
14. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(b) He orders a morning parade.
(c) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(d) He orders constant drills.
15. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) High command visiting the trenches.
(b) Soldiers on a short deployment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the veteran executed just prior to the events of Chapter 10?
2. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
3. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
4. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
5. What is Labri?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)