|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(b) High command visiting the trenches.
2. On their final day of leisure, what do the men hope for?
(a) A round of wine.
(b) That they will be sent into real combat.
(c) An extension of their leave.
(d) An issue of cigarettes.
3. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
(a) The 154th rifles.
(b) The Moroccan Division.
(c) The 5th and 6th battalions.
(d) The Republican Guard engineering brigade.
4. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
5. How is Farfadet "saved"?
(a) He is sent to become a typist.
(b) Eudoxie kisses him.
(c) The mortar that lands near him is a dud.
(d) He is baptized in the church.
6. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
(a) One month.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
7. Why do the men agree that being unluckily killed or luckily staying alive are not the same thing?
(a) Staying alive feels better.
(b) Everyone died eventually.
(c) One is more likely than the other.
(d) Death lasts a long time.
8. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
(b) An offensive will soon begin.
(c) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(d) They will be placed on leave.
9. According to Cocon, how many divisions comprise a corps?
(a) Seven corps.
(b) Ten corps.
(c) Two corps.
(d) Four corps.
10. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
(a) Hundreds of thousands.
(b) More than there are men on the front.
11. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
(b) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(c) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
(d) They surprise the soldiers at night.
12. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
(a) A card-sharp.
(b) A joker.
(c) A thug.
(d) An actor.
13. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) A small school.
(b) An inn.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A café.
14. Who is Eudoxie?
(a) A refugee.
(b) An actress.
(c) An officer's wife.
(d) A nurse.
15. Cpl. Bertrand is described as being which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
2. When the narrator returns to the squad's quarters after listening to the story of execution, what is Volpatte doing?
3. In general, what opinion do the soldiers have of the local women?
4. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
5. How are Volpatte and Fouillade lost?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)