|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gauchin-l'Abbé?
(a) A church.
(b) A university.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A village.
2. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A reserve squad.
(b) A medical squad.
(c) An engineering squad.
(d) A front-line squad.
3. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A victory is impossible.
(b) A swift victory is expected.
(c) The war is being lost.
(d) Slow progress is made.
4. Why were the executed veteran's accomplices sentenced to life in prison and not executed?
(a) They gave themselves up peacefully.
(b) They were volunteers, not draftees.
(c) They had wealthy families.
(d) They had no criminal record.
5. Why are the gentlemen of the depot jealous of Bourin the Parisian?
(a) He has just been promoted.
(b) He received orders to deploy for combat.
(c) He is getting married soon.
(d) He is safe in the south.
6. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
(a) The police.
(b) The medical staff.
(c) The civilians.
(d) The English enlisted men.
7. Tirette is best described as which of the following?
(a) A card-sharp.
(b) A thug.
(c) A joker.
(d) An actor.
8. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
(b) On the radio.
(c) In an officer's social hall.
(d) At a tavern in town.
9. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To escort the wounded to the rear.
(b) To carry ammunition to the front.
(c) To man a sentry post.
(d) To build emergency earthworks.
10. In Chapter 3, how long do the soldiers have before they get sent back to the front?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Five days.
(d) One day.
11. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They help him recover from shell shock.
(b) They aid him in a small raid.
(c) They tend his wounds.
(d) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
12. The men of the squad agree that support services should be performed by which of the following groups?
(a) The old and weak.
(b) Young men.
13. Why can Eudore's five friends not make it to their real destination?
(a) The road washed out.
(b) It is a war-zone.
(c) It has been leveled by artillery.
(d) It turned into an army depot.
14. What is Tirloir's nickname?
(a) Old boots.
(b) The grumbler.
(c) Lock and stock.
(d) Brass tacks.
15. Barque is described as being which of the following?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A sage.
(c) A leader.
(d) A trickster.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "Moroccan Division" is admired for what?
2. Cpl. Marchal serves with what military units?
3. When Chapter 12 begins, how long has the squad been digging trenches?
4. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
5. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)