|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Volpatte overhear the gossip of the gentlemen at the depot?
(a) At a tavern in town.
(b) From the kitchen, where he is helping.
(c) On the radio.
(d) In an officer's social hall.
2. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
3. How did Volpatte and Fouillade help Sgt. Sacerdote?
(a) They tend his wounds.
(b) They drag him out of the German field of fire.
(c) They help him recover from shell shock.
(d) They aid him in a small raid.
4. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
(a) Rebuilding a road.
(b) Creating a large dirt pallisade.
(c) Patrolling a forested area.
(d) Digging a deep trench.
5. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
(a) 104 corps.
(b) 4 corps.
(c) 39 corps.
(d) 12 corps.
6. What is Labri?
(a) A goat.
(b) A thieving racoon.
(c) A cat.
(d) A sheep dog.
7. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The bloodthirsty coward.
(b) The heroic loafer.
(c) The foolish intellectual.
(d) The quiet comedian.
8. What does the newspaper claim about the state of affairs for the poilu?
(a) They are well rested and ready to fight.
(b) They are in high spirits.
(c) They have everything they need.
(d) They are living in poor conditions.
9. How do Volpatte and Fouillade capture the two German soldiers?
(a) They surprise the soldiers at night.
(b) The Germans came across the lines to surrender.
(c) They tell the Germans they are scouts for an entire battalion.
(d) The soldiers accidentally fall into their shell hole.
10. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(b) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(c) He orders constant drills.
(d) He orders a morning parade.
11. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Eating at a table.
(b) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
(c) Eating good food.
(d) Sleeping under a roof.
12. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) Invalids in a sanatorium.
(b) Inmates in a prison.
(c) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
13. Who bargains with the civilian woman for space to sleep and eat?
(a) The narrator.
14. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are unavoidable.
(b) It is a smart thing to do.
(c) Shirking is human nature.
(d) They are necessary.
15. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) One million deaths.
(b) Ten million deaths.
(c) Thirty million deaths.
(d) Three million deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eudoxie do when Lamuse announces his feelings to her?
2. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
3. Which of the following was considered an aggravating circumstance in the veteran's case?
4. Chapter 7 begins with the squad waiting where as they prepare for redeployment?
5. According to Cocon, each regiment includes how many non-combatants?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)