Short Essay Questions Key
1. How do the invalids in the sanatorium learn of the war?
The invalids in the sanatorium learn of the outbreak of war when a servant announces it to them.
2. What are some of the predictions made by the invalids?
The invalids predict, among other things, that 30 million soldiers will die, thrones will fall, and that the war may be the last of all wars.
3. What is the general psychological state of the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
In general, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are bored and restless. They are unhappy with the conditions in the trenches and often fight for trivial reasons.
4. According to the author, what is important about the men writing letters home?
The author suggests that writing letters to home brings out the best in the men.
5. What is the nature and duty of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
Cpl. Bertrand's squad is a reserve squad serving on the second line of trenches, their duty is to be on call at night to build emergency earthworks.
This section contains 2,900 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)