|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Marist brother, mentioned early in the book, is seen serving what role in the hospital?
(a) Red Cross sergeant.
2. What do the men try to shelter themselves with when the barrage begins at the new trench?
(a) Wooden planks.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) Their shovels.
3. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How much weight they carry in total.
(b) How likely they are to survive.
(c) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
(d) How many miles they marched.
4. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) They are not armed.
(b) There is no activity in Verdun.
(c) They are only exposed to danger once.
(d) They are civilians.
5. What does the author call the useless things that the men carry with them?
(a) Their "souvenirs."
(b) Their "crutches."
(c) Their "burdens."
(d) Their "treasures."
Short Answer Questions
1. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
2. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
3. How does the narrator feel about the trench completed in Chapter 12?
4. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
5. What do the four Germans want from Paradis and the narrator?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)