|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(b) They know he should not hold his anger in.
(c) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(d) They want to know what he's hiding.
2. How is the Marist brother killed?
(a) By an artillery shell.
(b) By the gunfire of approaching Germans.
(c) By a sniper.
(d) By an insane patient.
3. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) They will be placed on leave.
(b) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(c) An offensive will soon begin.
(d) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
4. What do the men take from the German sentry they kill?
(a) A rifle.
(c) His helmet.
5. The "Territorials" are noted for what unusual quality?
(a) They are too young for regular duty.
(b) They are former criminals.
(c) They are old men.
(d) They are foreigners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
2. Why does the sergeant's insistence on light discipline seem foolish?
3. Where do the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad hope to be sent for rest?
4. What do Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin do in order to find a way to cook the meat?
5. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)