|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 21-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the arrival of the Moroccan Division mean to the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad?
(a) They will be placed on leave.
(b) An offensive will soon begin.
(c) An attack by the enemy is expected.
(d) High command is unhappy with their part of the front.
2. Which luxury in Gauchin-l'Abbé do the men seem to enjoy most?
(a) Sleeping under a roof.
(b) Eating good food.
(c) The opportunity to bathe and shave.
(d) Eating at a table.
3. What order does Cpl. Broyer issue?
(a) He orders the men to dig trenches.
(b) He orders pointless maneuvers.
(c) He orders constant drills.
(d) He orders a morning parade.
4. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To talk with him.
(b) To help bury bodies.
(c) For guard duty.
(d) To search for a body.
5. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
(a) They want to know what he's hiding.
(b) They are eager for any story from outside the trenches.
(c) They are curious about the brigade headquarters.
(d) They know he should not hold his anger in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lamuse return to the trench after helping the sappers?
2. Why can Blaire, Poupardin, and Pépin not cook their meat?
3. What does Paradis do for the old woman that he and the narrator find at the farmhouse?
4. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does the narrator give to Paradis?
5. When first asked to share his story about the depot, what does Volpatte repeat?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)